Official Review: Rubber Girl by Sean Wheeler

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jax14
Favorite Author: Stephen King
Currently Reading: The Thursday Murder Club
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jax14.html
Latest Review: Lost on the Edge of Eternity by Jonathan Floyd
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 2
fav_author_id: 2376

Official Review: Rubber Girl by Sean Wheeler

Post by Jax14 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Rubber Girl" by Sean Wheeler.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Rubber Girl by Sean Wheeler is the 3rd book in the Wheelerverse series, but can be read as a standalone novel.

Katie is your average 14-year-old girl who goes to school, has a best friend, and a boyfriend who loves her. Her parents run the Elaztix factory that produces super stretchy clothes made of a special rubber formula. One day when Katie reports for her internship at the factory, she falls into a vat of the rubber and crazy things happen to her body. Katie is now extra stretchy and bendy, and has become Rubber Girl! When she realises she has amazing new abilities, Katie decides to become a crime fighter. Little does she know that on this journey she will meet a host of new friends who are also gifted, as well as encounter enemies that only she can defeat. Is Katie up for the task?

The idea behind the series, and the way the author ties the books and characters together is very clever. I was impressed with this young author’s imaginative use of the land, sea, and air, by incorporating a mermaid, flying superheroes and regular folk. He also makes a play on the names of the characters, like Limbella, being the flexible crook, and Doctor Plastique, the plastic surgeon. The book is categorised as science fiction, but has a lot of comedy elements to it. Scenes like this made me laugh out loud: Katie falls into the vat of rubber (which by the way should be lethal) and her father turns to the guy who accidently bumped her in and says “You are so fired!” That was a definite facepalm moment. The story is simple, but an entertaining and quick read.

With the positives come the negatives, and after reading the official review of Book #2 which stated that there were no editing mistakes, I was disappointed that this had quite a few. As early as page 2 had your and you’re mixed up, and later in the book the exact opposite happened. Punctuation was missing and lots of run on sentences could be found. Spelling like Saterday and payed (used in the wrong sense) cropped up. Past and present tense was mixed up a lot, and missing prepositions occurred. Certain things in the story also caused a break within the reading flow. At one stage a roll call is done in a classroom, and an entire page is devoted to calling names in the register and having them answer “Here.” Strange sentences like the following could be found: “Katie walked over to a clothing rack and felt on the shiny clothes” or “Why are you waiting around for?” Sometimes eagerness to describe things caused a sentence like “He instantly recognised me immediately.”

Rubber Girl, as well as the books of the entire Wheelerverse series with their categorisation of powers, has the potential to become a hit. I do have to take into consideration the book as it stands now, so I rate Rubber Girl 2 out of 4 stars. One star was taken away for punctuation and grammar errors, and the other because the story needs polishing. The base idea is there, but it needs guidance to delete unnecessary parts and make the flow better. I recommend this for middle grade readers, and I hope that the author continues his writing, since experience will refine his work.

Rubber Girl
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Jax14's review? Post a comment saying so!
Fatima70
Currently Reading: The Mighty Blue Saves Christmas
Bookshelf Size: 10

Post by Fatima70 »

Thanks for the commentary. It appears to me that the overall setup is high on creativity and science spiced with fantasy. The fond fiction reader might even find it a reading treat. The prevailing mood through the plot seems entertaining and might even help out of boredom.
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

Your review brought to my remembrance of elastic girl from 'The Incredibles' cartoon. I'm curious on what happen to her boyfriend after her transformation? are they still together even after that? Well, the answer lies by reading this book. Thank you for your good review and glad to know this book made you laugh.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

ParadoxicalWoman wrote: 18 Dec 2017, 08:31 Your review brought to my remembrance of elastic girl from 'The Incredibles' cartoon. I'm curious on what happen to her boyfriend after her transformation? are they still together even after that? Well, the answer lies by reading this book. Thank you for your good review and glad to know this book made you laugh.
I agree that's what came to my mind at the first place, "elastic girl" in The Incredibles.
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Very interesting! Supper powers and action, good for a young kid and teen i think!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”