Featured Official Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Re: Official Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Paul78 »

It seems each part of the book was interesting to you.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Gunnar Ohberg
Currently Reading: The Nix
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gunnar-ohberg.html
Latest Review: Lemoncella Cocktail by Rene Natan

Post by Gunnar Ohberg »

Your review reminds me a lot of "Bored of the Rings," the LOTR satire National Lampoon wrote a long time ago. I really enjoyed that book, so I might have to give this one a try.
inaramid
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Siege and Storm
Bookshelf Size: 144
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-inaramid.html
Latest Review: The Fourth Kinetic by Brady Moore

Post by inaramid »

I've just seen another Hardison book that got a 4-star review here at OBC. Seeing another positive review makes me really want to check this author's works ASAP.
uyky
Favorite Author: Charles de Lint
Currently Reading: Tapping the Dream Tree
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-uyky.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin
fav_author_id: 6861

Post by uyky »

I just started reading this book and it is hilarious. Thank you for your review, it's what made me start it.
rssllue
Favorite Author: Ted Dekker
Favorite Book: The Bible
Currently Reading: A Year with C. S. Lewis
Bookshelf Size: 602
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rssllue.html
Latest Review: My Personal Desert Storm by Marcus Johnson
fav_author_id: 2881

Post by rssllue »

Thank you all for the feedback on the review and (for those of you who have started it) on the book too! I am glad that my review might have tipped the scales for some of you in choosing to read this story. Be sure to let me and everyone else know what you think when you finish the book!
~ occupare fati suffocavit

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Mekkinism
Currently Reading: Raven's Peak
Bookshelf Size: 103
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mekkinism.html
Latest Review: Becoming the Dragon by Alex Sapegin

Post by Mekkinism »

I'm actually really surprised that it got 4 out of 4 stars. I read the book, and while I did find it funny in places, it didn't really seem well written on a prose level. I noticed the word "then" used quite a lot, a lot of only vaguely funny expositional info-dumps, as well as some head-hopping (changing perspective or point of view from one character to another without using scene or even paragraph breaks). I could very much see where Hardison's previous graphic novel work came into play, it read like he was transcribing a comic book. In fact, I think it might have worked better in that format. To be fair, I do think that there is some pretty satisfying plot payoff, but I was really just ready to give up on the book completely until about a third of the way through, and I honestly don't think it got interesting until the plot twists in the second half of the book.

I definitely think if you're a fan of the grounded world building of Terry Pratchett, or the glorious word play of Piers Anthony, you might be a little underwhelmed by this particular book.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thanks for your feedback on the review and your perspective on the book. :tiphat:

I will both lay me down in peace, and sleep: for Thou, LORD, only makest me dwell in safety. ~ Psalms 4:8
Lysander99
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lysander99.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Lysander99 »

This is a really good book in similar genre to the Xanth or Discworld novels. The author has created a unique entry into this genre and has updated the plot and characters and setting to give an interesting storyline.

I agree with you that this is a tongue in cheek adventure that gives a funny take on the concept of the barbarian hero saving the world. Although i have to admit that the alarming rate that Thoral nearly gets killed is sometimes overdone at times and can detract from the immersion you feel when reading the story.

It is also true that the author makes a farce of the entire adventure at times but that just serves to allow you to enjoy the absurdity of the entire concept of a lone hero saving the world.
rssllue

Post by rssllue »

Thanks for your feedback. I think that you encapsulated the essence of the story quite well.

gali
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A book revolving around a barbarian warrior and his mate, a talking fish, as they try to save the world of Grome with a pudding sounds like a fun read. I like your definition of it as a "farctasy". It is great that the author balances well the action and the farce. It does sound like an entertaining fantasy tale with a refreshing take. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

I'm not gonna lie--it does look a bit skeptical but if this is recommended by you, I'm not gonna hesitate to give this a chance! I love books with a humorous and action-packed storyline. Thank you!
mindyg123
Currently Reading: Lycan Fallout
Bookshelf Size: 565
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mindyg123.html

Post by mindyg123 »

Tongue-in-cheek humor /fantasy sounds like my cup of tea. With a talking fish named Brad and farce that doesn't get boring it's definitely caught my interest. I'm adding this to my TBR list and congrats on being BOTD.
Mindyg123 :techie-studyingbrown:
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

Can talking fish Brad and barbarian warrior Thoral save the world of Grome? Will they get to the Pudding of Power before the evil leader does? Sounds like an entertaining read! It's great to hear that the author is able to include the silliness without hurting the writing quality. I actually read another book of his that combined humor and the supernatural, as well. Unfortunately, I did not enjoy it. In general, I don't tend to enjoy humor in my fantasy, so I'll pass, but I'm glad you enjoyed it and that it kept your attention until the end! Thanks for sharing!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Bookworm39
Favorite Book: To Tempt a Knight
Currently Reading: to seduce a knight
Bookshelf Size: 34
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookworm39.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew Da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Bookworm39 »

This is a great book review. It does sound interesting with Thoral and his talking fish friend, Brad. But I don't think that I will be reading it.
RebeccasReading
Currently Reading: I, Richard Plantagenet
Bookshelf Size: 30
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rebeccasreading.html
Latest Review: Man of the Sea by Nathan Kippley

Post by RebeccasReading »

I really enjoyed this sample but I'm not typically a fan of sci-fi. I'm wondering if maybe I should give it a try anyway! I really liked the fun nature of the author's writing.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”