Featured Official Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by holsam_87 »

I'm not sure if Fish Wielder is the book for me. When I finished the sample, I found myself scratching my head at the absurdity of what I had just read, and also snickering under my breath. I do like fantasy books and I do like parodies, but I'm not sure if I can get into this from just reading the sample. I do like the creativity of the character names though. I think that I would have to read this at a later date to see if it piques my interest. Perhaps after another book is released, I will give it a try.
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Nhorhata
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61

Post by Nhorhata »

Wonderful review...perfect choice words!!you made me want to read the book.
Rosemary Wright
Bookshelves Moderator
Favorite Author: Sydney Sheldon
Favorite Book: Spanky
Currently Reading: Culture Man
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-wright.html
Latest Review: Gods Whisper Always Near by Sharon Williams
Reading Device: Android

Post by Rosemary Wright »

Full of actions, adventures, battles, magic, and humour, this fantasy tale seems entertaining. Thanks for the review.
HeatherTasker
Currently Reading: Slaughterhouse-Five
Bookshelf Size: 53

Post by HeatherTasker »

This sounds like a fun escape from reality. I love the premise. Your genre title is perfect.

Great review!

What age range would you say this is appropriate for?
Vampirepotato4
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Vampirepotato4 »

I'm not quite sure what i was expecting..but it certainly wasn't this. I went into this sample cold turkey- not having read a summary or blurb or anything, and at first was very confused. The language and settings were a little strange and seemed to come out of nowhere, but after a couple pages i was used to it and actively enjoying it. As far as i can tell, this book is essentially a dramatic heroic quest fantasy picking on the cliches of the genre, like dramatized good looks(especially hair, of course) in the hero, horses that can sense danger, and ominous, secret societies out to get the hero. I honestly think this could turn out very well and is worth the read for someone looking for an easy read and who can pick up on and enjoy the dry, tongue-in-cheek humor. Awesome stuff
Kristy Khem
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: Carmela
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kristykhem.html
Latest Review: Hattie Vavaseur by M. Rebecca Wildsmith

Post by Kristy Khem »

Thanks for the review. I liked your description of the main character. Heard of pet rocks but Brad sounds like a pet fish! It sounds like a comedy - adventure kind of story.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Thanks for the review! I liked reading your down-to-earth summary. I think I enjoyed reading your review more than I did the sample. I thought Thoral was an interesting, humorous barbarian but I just didn't find the tale interesting.
Happy Bunny
Currently Reading: Not Without My Sister
Bookshelf Size: 39

Post by Happy Bunny »

I'm not a fan of fantasy books, and I don't think I would enjoy this one either. While I enjoy a bit of "silliness" in books, it seems like it may have been over the top (for me anyways) based on the review. The book seems to be well received and enjoyed by those who have read it though, and in the end, that's what matters!
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

I am both amused and bemused by the book sample so far! I am enjoying the tongue-in-cheek writing style, the intermingling of modern and classic phrases, and the unexpected words and actions that are contrary to what we've come to expect within the fantasy genre. Moments such as: our protagonist lays his head on the table...he becomes aware of the 'mildew-y' smell...he squashes some mint leaves to try to limit the smell. It's not something you would ever read in Lord of the Rings, however Fish Wielder certainly pays satirical homage to the great fantasy tradition.
Brad the fish is another humorous addition to the book, as if such a creature is completely normal and part of everyday, ordinary life. I have loved reading multiple online reviews of the book, and find I am interested in seeing what the author does after the sample and to the end of the book.
jennyd2003
Currently Reading: Kind Nepenthe
Bookshelf Size: 126
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennyd2003.html
Latest Review: The Witch of Endor by RK Wheeler

Post by jennyd2003 »

Great review. This sounds like a really fun read. Something to lighten up a bad day.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I love fantasy and sci-fi books. When red dwarf came out and combined sci-fi with comedy I had hoped someone would come up with something like this. I can't wait to read it, especially as I would like to have Brad as a friend too. Who can resist a talking fish.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
tarafarah7
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Mitch Albom
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ">tuesdays with Morrie</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1437
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tarafarah7.html
Latest Review: Toni the Superhero by R.D. Base
fav_author_id: 2544

Post by tarafarah7 »

Seriously, this is not anything I would ever pick up to read, but after reading your review, I might go check it out again! I loved your review! Today's BOTD might just be one for my WTR shelf after all! Thank you! :-)
Vermont Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 4468">Scam Prevention</a>
Currently Reading: A Roadmap To Career Success
Bookshelf Size: 507
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-vermont-reviews.html
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty

Post by Vermont Reviews »

A fun read. Brad makes this story.
Great review.
Vermont Reviews
Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
InfernumTriad24
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by InfernumTriad24 »

Since i am a BIG FAN of Fantasy-humor stories, this One definitely make me hooked up and have fun in reading.. Thumbs up! 😊
WillowStarSerenity
Currently Reading: Loved
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-willowstarserenity.html
Latest Review: Apollo's Raven by Linnea Tanner

Post by WillowStarSerenity »

Very well written review. I'm not sure I'd term something "farcasy" though. It just sounds a bit weird. This book sounds very interesting and I could see myself giving the book a try. Especially if it is as witty and adventurous as it's made out to be.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”