Official Review: A Book Without Dragons by Olivia Berrier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: Official Review: A Book Without Dragons by Olivia Berrie

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

ashley_claire wrote:This book caught my attention earlier and I almost chose to review but was worried that the change in tenses would be off-putting. I'm glad you didn't find that to be the case and you were able to enjoy it. Thanks for the well done review!
I also felt the same. I'm glad it's not too confusing and all over the place. If it's not too choppy and backwards and forwards, I may enjoy this book. Thanks for the review!
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Ezra14 - I hope you like it!

-- Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:01 am --
Gingerbo0ks wrote:
ashley_claire wrote:This book caught my attention earlier and I almost chose to review but was worried that the change in tenses would be off-putting. I'm glad you didn't find that to be the case and you were able to enjoy it. Thanks for the well done review!
I also felt the same. I'm glad it's not too confusing and all over the place. If it's not too choppy and backwards and forwards, I may enjoy this book. Thanks for the review!
I had the same doubts before I read it. But the tense change was incorporated so well that it barely caught my attention. If anything, I felt like it added to the story. Thanks for stopping by!

-- Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:02 am --
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote:Ashley Simon's review of "A Book Without Dragons" is very excellent, to a fault. It sounded so comprehensive, I decided, I need not read the book anymore, the gist is right here, and well. But on second thought, I might still opt to get all these raw, from "the horse's mouth" so to speak. The review could still claim the virtue of being enticing.

The title: A Book Without Dragons might be a misnomer, in my opinion, though. But that is only my opinion. The lack of dragons would readily signify that the time-frame of the story could be in those era where dragons are no longer in vogue, no more dragon-slayers or dragon masters. Or may also be confused as occurring at present time. But nary a bit, one may suspect the near or far away future as the probable timetable of events.

And yet, dragons or no dragons, this is an interesting read.
Thanks, I'm glad you enjoyed my review! Hope to hear your thoughts on the book.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Great review! I'm a fan of the genre and I absolutely love the theme of time travel.
The Irmuun
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by The Irmuun »

That's the reason why i like sci fi and fantastic books. this makes me read more books.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html

Post by Ashley Simon »

Ritah - I enjoy books about time travel, too. Just recently picked up The Time Traveler's Wife. This book doesn't get into time travel but it has some interesting commentary on time!
The Irmuun - Thanks for stopping by!
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

I was hooked the moment I read the first paragraph. The story sounds quite interesting. I don't think dragons would have made it any better.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
meteku4
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meteku4.html
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita

Post by meteku4 »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote:Ashley Simon's review of "A Book Without Dragons" is very excellent, to a fault. It sounded so comprehensive, I decided, I need not read the book anymore, the gist is right here, and well. But on second thought, I might still opt to get all these raw, from "the horse's mouth" so to speak. The review could still claim the virtue of being enticing.

The title: A Book Without Dragons might be a misnomer, in my opinion, though. But that is only my opinion. The lack of dragons would readily signify that the time-frame of the story could be in those era where dragons are no longer in vogue, no more dragon-slayers or dragon masters. Or may also be confused as occurring at present time. But nary a bit, one may suspect the near or far away future as the probable timetable of events.

And yet, dragons or no dragons, this is an interesting read.
Yes, I couldn't agree with you more, especially on the misnomer side. I think the title is more likely to mislead others, but the review is of great help.
Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very interesting review. I love how the guy who invented uniting thinks of himself as ordinary. Asking the book to my reading list.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Interesting read. I can't imagine a life with no technology. It's even worse if the technology has advanced to the extent depicted in the novel.
kislany
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 527
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kislany.html
Latest Review: Golden Skies by Juan Zapata

Post by kislany »

Knowing myself, I'd be there with a marker correcting all the different tenses between chapters :)

Great review, Ashley Simon.
cherrykarl
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39">Broken Prince</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 664
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cherrykarl.html

Post by cherrykarl »

Love, love, love the cover!? The last time I read a book about dragons was Eragon. And it's been long.?
Peculiar. Unique. Extraordinairé | Philippians 4:13
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

The plot sounds very intriguing. I'm also interested in the change of tenses in writing. Your review makes me want to read this book even more. Thanks for the great review.
kenkomercy
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kenkomercy.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman

Post by kenkomercy »

The title reflects nothing of the story. It is an interesting sci-fi story. Thanks for your great review
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

An almost apocalyptic world where Willow, who loves fantasy, is the only one who can fix Unitime that's destroying it sounds exciting! It's great when a book can keep you at the edge of your seat. Not sure if the different tenses is for me, but I'm glad that you were able to enjoy this read. Thank you for the lovely review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
Belynda White
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 8">Destiny Revisited</a>
Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 48
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-belynda-white.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Reading Device: 1400697484

Post by Belynda White »

Nice review. I love the plot, although 2054 is a long time ahead.
Most times, I fall flat on my face. But never do I remain on the floor; I rise again.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”