Official Review: The Quantum Cartographer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: The Quantum Cartographer

Post by holsam_87 »

After reading the sample and the review, I would have to say that The Quantum Cartographer will be right up my alley. The concept of time travel can be a bit overplayed, but I think that it will work to this book's advantage this time since it appears to be an intergral part that sets everything in motion. I'm definitely adding this to my want to read shelf.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
SaffraWhishart
Currently Reading: The Candle Room
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-saffrawhishart.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by SaffraWhishart »

Thanks for your review. I agree; 4 out of 4 stars for what I've read so far. After reading the sample, I was so intrigued I bought the book on Amazon--the first time I've bought a book online. The action scenes are so visual & well-paced; the characters so distinct; the plot so unique. The writing is very evocative as well--I especially loved "the deep plum of dusk" and Nija waiting for his mentor's speeches to pass like inclement weather.
PlanetHauth
Currently Reading: Celebrity
Bookshelf Size: 766
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-planethauth.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 2 by H.M. Irwing

Post by PlanetHauth »

This is a great review!

I also had quite a few questions pop into my head as I read the excerpt, many of which were the same as yours. Serros gives a small explanation about a great number of things, but it's not enough to really understand what those things are (the Cartographer, the Crux, and the Revival army). I'm glad to see you say they are eventually explained. Nothing is more frustrating than having a hint of a deep, rich backstory for a book, but never getting the full details. I'll definitely be picking up a copy of this book. The excerpt was intriguing, as is your review, leading me to believe I'd greatly enjoy the book.
SJSharks
Currently Reading: Unshaken
Bookshelf Size: 18

Post by SJSharks »

I am not normally a sci-fi fan, but the action in the first chapter really grabbed me. I'm excited to finish reading this one! It has an interesting story line. Congrats on BOTD!
Gracie777
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 113
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gracie777.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Gracie777 »

Your review is beautifully written. It has elevated my desire to get a dose of this book. I love that the book addresses relevant issues such as dictatorship, utopia, and the ongoing struggle to eliminate oppressors. I love the humor you also found in Nija's character. A well-written and properly edited book is my cup of tea. Any book that is exciting and thrilling always gets a spot on my bookshelf.
truebookaddict
Favorite Book: The Historian
Currently Reading: Children of the Dark
Bookshelf Size: 3838
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-truebookaddict.html
Reading Device: B00TSUGXKE

Post by truebookaddict »

I really like the sound of this one. I'm going to put it on my Amazon wishlist until I have an Amazon gift card because I don't believe in paying out of pocket more than 99 cents for an eBook. I'm still old school preferring print books. lol Anyway, I think this sounds like a solid science fiction/fantasy premise and the characters sound interesting according to your description. Thank you for your insightful review!
“Even if she be not harmed, her heart may fail her in so much and so many horrors; and hereafter she may suffer--both in waking, from her nerves, and in sleep, from her dreams.”
― Bram Stoker, Dracula
Tobbs
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-tobbs.html
Latest Review: Health Tips, Myths, and Tricks by Morton E Tavel, MD

Post by Tobbs »

That's a well written review, although I'm not that into the genre, I'll like to read this.
Joychero
Currently Reading: Heartaches 2
Bookshelf Size: 6

Post by Joychero »

Wow, when I begin reading the preview, I was not sure it was my cup of tea but by the time they got to the house and she was preparing to send her son away, I was sold. Time travel is a fascinating idea for me,i will definitely read this.

Oh and your review closed the deal, can't wait to get back to its pages. Thank you.
Lexi 1
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Lexi 1 »

The Quantum Cartographer is a very interesting read especially for Science Fiction Lover. A story about a mother's love and protecting her son. This book would make a good movie.
Bewa
Favorite Book: Fifty Shades Darker
Currently Reading: Fifty Shades of Grey (Fifty Shades Trilogy #1)
Bookshelf Size: 25
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bewa.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Bewa »

Wow this was a good review, for someone who has not read the book yet, I am intrigued! Sci-Fic is not my favorite genre but I may give this a try, it seems captivating!
kwame1977
Currently Reading: The Vatican Protocol
Bookshelf Size: 150
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kwame1977.html
Latest Review: Learn to Play Guitar by Gareth Evans

Post by kwame1977 »

This is a story that is full of suspense. Such stories requires lots of courage to read. I need to put on my bookshelf and read later. Thanks Kristen.
Julehart1
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 85
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julehart1.html
Latest Review: Killing Time ... Physics, Lust and Greed Series Book 3 by Mike Murphey

Post by Julehart1 »

That was a very detailed review. I also love science fiction and time travel stories in books as well as TV and movies. I read a sample of this book and I must say I thought of the Terminator movie right away too as I was reading.
Geraldine46
Currently Reading: Black Mirrors of the Soul
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Geraldine46 »

As I was reading a review, I had this feeling that I need to read the whole book. It seems to me that it is an interesting to read. Although I am not a fan of time-travel fiction, I am sure that this would be a first time favorite to read. As many have suggested, I too would have thought how it would look like if it is converted to a movie. Nevertheless, if I would have the chance to read the book, I will spend time reading it.
MollyEnter
Currently Reading: The Altitude Journals
Bookshelf Size: 42
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mollyenter.html
Latest Review: The Sword Swallower and a Chico Kid by Gary Robinson

Post by MollyEnter »

Thank you for the review! I've read the sample, and I have to admit that I was confused at the beginning. The writing is interesting though. I'll have to think more about whether I'll pout this on my Want to Read list.
"There is something about words. In expert hands, manipulated deftly, they take you prisoner.”
– Diane Setterfield, The Thirteenth Tale
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by R-g-R »

I was similarly enjoying the events and action of the first chapter, but found Chapter Two to use such flowery language that it was difficult to relate to. It’s a shame that the sample stopped where it did. I wished there had been a third chapter to provide greater accessibility to the ongoing story. Thanks for your enthusiastic review!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”