Official Review: Redemption The Advent by Kimon Alexander

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Official Review: Redemption The Advent by Kimon Alexander

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Redemption The Advent" by Kimon Alexander.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Redemption The Advent is a science fiction fantasy thriller written by Kimon Alexander.

The Valdors are ethereal beings in parallel dimension that watch over the development of humans’ consciousness. However, human depravity impedes spiritual evolution and Earth is being considered for total annihilation. Valianx, head of Valdor Council, sent Balthazar in a final attempt to redeem Earth. In line with his mission, Balthazar has to find an agreeable host who will voluntarily accommodate his consciousness and assist him with what he comes to Earth for.

Divided into three parts, this is an intriguing and suspenseful book that holds the readers’ interest from beginning to end. It features three important characters: a suave, cunning, ruthless and megalomaniac drug dealer, a manipulative and duplicitous Islamic zealot and an honorable but emotionally scarred police investigator. It is told in the third person perspective and in casual conversational tone for the most part.

Though the plot is initially hazy, the presentation is done very gradually, almost imperceptibly, that the readers may wonder about the connection, and culminates in a satisfying denouement. The author successfully puts all the pieces of the puzzle together almost at the very end giving the readers that feeling of being strung along though in a good way.

The book is not just exciting it is also very informative. The author gives, what I believe to be, an objective overview of the Islamic belief, specifically the Five Pillars of Islam. Moreover, he gives an almost academic explication of the workings of the brain which I find both interesting and impressive. Furthermore, all the characters, both main and minor, are well-developed complete with solid backstories. Consequently, the readers find them easily relatable that it feels natural to empathize with Baxter, to pity Patrick, to loathe King and detest Sheik Ali. To arouse such emotions from the readers says a lot about the writing skills of the author.

However, I find some scientific explanations to be too technical. Though I tried my best to follow with the expositions by reading them twice and more slowly, other readers may find it easier to simply skip the parts. Moreover, discussions between the Valdors about spiritual evolution and Alpha can be too perplexing and therefore a little taxing. Furthermore, some specific parts of the book may challenge some readers’ religious sensibilities. Though the book is clearly a work of fiction, other readers may find their long-standing belief questioned and may take offense. Finally, I noticed a few typo errors (like money to it pay back and the ship was a carrying weapons) and misspelled words (like discernable instead of discernible). Thankfully, they are too few to detract from the overall reading experience.

I, therefore, rate this book 4 out of 4 stars. It is interesting, exciting, suspenseful, informative and well-researched. I recommend it to readers who enjoy science fiction and fantasy. It may also appeal to readers who are interested in various religion and religious beliefs. Some scenes of sex, abuse and cruelty, however, may not be suitable for young readers.

Redemption The Advent
View: on Bookshelves

Like kimmyschemy06's review? Post a comment saying so!
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

I am intrigued by the mix of characters. I wonder who Balthazar will "possess" for his mission of purification. (I cannot help but recall the story of Noah's Ark and how God cleansed the world with a devastating flood.)

Thanks for a most intriguing review, Kimmyschemy06!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm kind of unsure about this one. Some parts of it sound good, and I do enjoy sci fi. Other parts I'm just not sure I would enjoy. The review is good, though. Thanks for all the information.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Miriam Molina wrote:I am intrigued by the mix of characters. I wonder who Balthazar will "possess" for his mission of purification. (I cannot help but recall the story of Noah's Ark and how God cleansed the world with a devastating flood.)

Thanks for a most intriguing review, Kimmyschemy06!
Thank you. I hope you get a chance to read it :)

-- 13 Oct 2017, 10:38 --
kandscreeley wrote:I'm kind of unsure about this one. Some parts of it sound good, and I do enjoy sci fi. Other parts I'm just not sure I would enjoy. The review is good, though. Thanks for all the information.
Thank you very much. It's a good book :)
Abodunrin
Currently Reading: Temptation Trials Part II
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abodunrin.html
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller

Post by Abodunrin »

Wow the review is compelling as it stirred up curiosity in me to know who the messenger of the valdors will possess as an host and the emotions the story triggered. This was a sincere and honest review.
Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Abodunrin wrote:Wow the review is compelling as it stirred up curiosity in me to know who the messenger of the valdors will possess as an host and the emotions the story triggered. This was a sincere and honest review.
Thank you very much. This is an exciting and enjoyable book :)
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

I find this book interesting as well. It was informative and educative to me. It is a must read. Thanks for this review.
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

It sounds too complicated for a good sci-fi book, but the high rating speaks otherwise. I may just pick it, good review.
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Interesting. I'm not sure I would have the patience to wade through the tech-y language. Thanks for the review!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
kimmyschemy06

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sarah Immanuel wrote:I find this book interesting as well. It was informative and educative to me. It is a must read. Thanks for this review.
You're welcome. I hope you get a chance to read the book.

-- 17 Oct 2017, 22:52 --
Ashley Simon wrote:Interesting. I'm not sure I would have the patience to wade through the tech-y language. Thanks for the review!
You're welcome. It is initially complicated but the author did a great job tying up loose ends.

-- 17 Oct 2017, 22:54 --
geoffrey ngoima wrote:It sounds too complicated for a good sci-fi book, but the high rating speaks otherwise. I may just pick it, good review.
Thank you. It is a good book :)

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”