Official Review: Evergreen by Adventure Cat

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Evergreen by Adventure Cat

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Evergreen" by Adventure Cat.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Evergreen by Adventure Cat is a fantasy novel. It’s quite a short book; even so, it is very enchanting. I sat and read the whole book in one sitting, I couldn’t put it down! The story revolves around the Fey in an enchanted forest, called Evergreen. The Fey creatures that reside in Evergreen mostly have the names we are familiar with, though in appearance there are some differences. Reading that elves have lions tails was a bit of a shock though. Another shock was the size of the trees in this land; they cover an acre of land at their base and reach up to touch the sky. It made me think that the home tree in Avatar was really only just a bush.

The beginning of the story relates details about many of the Fey, including a new one, the Katjie. This is a race that looks very much like felines. They are very in tune with nature, and they can talk to all animals. Pantera is a Katjie and is the main character. She is also the caretaker of the Northern Realm. When there is a disturbance at the edge of her territory, the elven leaders ask her to investigate. Her investigation turns up evidence that humans had been in the forest.

Shortly after this the humans return and kidnap Lime, another Katjie. Pantera is summoned before the Elf Council, where she is made into an ambassador. Her mission is to visit the lord of the land, Lord Ferro, and ask his permission for the Fey to enter the human realm and search for Lime. As Pantera is travelling to Lord Ferro’s castle, she is discovered by a group of bandits. She is captured and taken to their camp, where she discovers they have Lime in a cage. Will she able to escape and save Lime?

I love this story! The way the author describes the various scenes brings them to life in the imagination. She then populates these scenes with well thought out characters. The author builds on the characters throughout the story, so you don’t feel overloaded. I especially loved the subtle, but the easy use of magic that is portrayed throughout the story. There is also a claim made that magic interferes with humans technology, I find it disappointing that more wasn’t said about this.

The plot is fast flowing and engaging. For such a short story, nothing is missed that needed to be there. Though, as I have said, more could have been added about various things to enhance the story. The ending was well rounded and complete. There is nothing unanswered in the plot to leave one frustrated. However, there are several things in the story that could be used as a basis for another story. At this time I have no idea if there will be any more stories, but I for one would be very disappointed if there isn’t.

In reading this story I noticed that most words that needed an apostrophe didn’t get one. At times the wrong tense was used confusing things a bit. There are also some instances where the wrong word was used, most notably “where” instead of “were”. As I have mentioned, I really loved this story, but with all the errors I feel I can’t justify a 4-star rating. So I am giving this book 3 out of 4 stars, with a small amount of proofreading this can be quickly rectified. This book is a quick read so I think anyone who doesn’t have much time would love it. Mostly though, I think this would appeal to anyone who loves fantasy and magic.

Evergreen
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

The cover is kind of cute. It looks kind of like anime. Sounds very interesting. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

I agree with kandscreely, I like the cover. This book sounds enchanting! Thank you for the review. :)
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Aribanamaris
Currently Reading: Snatched Up to Heaven for Kids
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Aribanamaris »

Very interesting but Figures of speech weren't treated with care
qurratulain
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (Harry Potter Series)
Bookshelf Size: 9

Post by qurratulain »

Like that tail
The whole story
Specially the adventure
Miss ejay
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miss-ejay.html
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles

Post by Miss ejay »

I enjoy your review, I'll be adding this book to my want to read list.
Latest Review: "Guardian of Deceit" by William H. Coles
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

My, if we had those trees on Earth, we would live in tree houses and use vines to travel ala-Tarzan.

An enchanting review, Emie Cuevas!
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

Fey felines-I like that concept and love the use of color in the cover art. I will check this one out further. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

Aribanamaris wrote:Very interesting but Figures of speech weren't treated with care
I'm not sure what you mean!

-- 12 Oct 2017, 19:25 --
Miriam Molina wrote:My, if we had those trees on Earth, we would live in tree houses and use vines to travel ala-Tarzan.

An enchanting review, Emie Cuevas!
They use magic to carve a home inside the trunk! Not sure I'd want to live a mile high in a shack though.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Sarah Immanuel
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 160819">My Trip To Adele</a>
Currently Reading: The House of Trysts
Bookshelf Size: 28

Post by Sarah Immanuel »

I find the book very interesting, with it edited and proof read, it would be perfect. So I give it 4 out of 4.
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

Looks like a cute book. Nice review!
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”