Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post Number:#1 by Scerakor
» 06 Oct 2017, 12:58

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Turn" by Matthew Tysz.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by Scerakor
Share This Review

The Turn by Matthew Tysz is a novel that straddles the line between a post-apocalyptic story and a horror/dark fantasy. It takes place in a world after the occurrence of an (initially) unspecified apocalyptic occurrence referred to as The Turn. Throughout the book, the reader is batted back and forth between the perspectives of several different characters as they navigate this unforgiving post-apocalyptic world. These different story-lines are all separate at first but, as the novel progresses, become more and more intertwined.

Using the multiple perspectives, Tysz paints a picture of humanity’s fall after The Turn. Humanity has gathered itself into pockets of societies whose moral codes vary enormously. Some communities have built themselves up on the basis of honest, hard work. Others, however, have descended quickly into the horrors of slavery and human trafficking. This wide swath of existence leaves room for a multitude of colourful characters throughout the novel, including but not limited to, the scholarly trained assassin, the rogue cowboy slave trader, the lethal womaniser, the loyal but vulnerable businessman/mayor, and others. Not only does this tale paint a picture of humanity and society, but also the constant struggle to find out more on what caused The Turn in the first place.

There was a lot to like about this book, especially for those of us that have a particular soft spot for post-apocalyptic fiction. I enjoyed how the author was able to capture the descent of humanity into pockets of a unique civilisations. The limited contact with other communities is an excellent technique whereby you can justify such a wide swath of collective morals. I also love how Tysz is able to capture the idea of changed identity in a post-apocalyptic world. You will never be the same person as you were before an event like The Turn, but Tysz’s characters dance that line beautifully. For example, a video game playing academic continues wearing a graduation cap in the new world, despite the fact that he is a professionally trained assassin. What I liked best about this book is that it doesn’t force the reader into an explanation on what The Turn actually is. It really isn’t until well into the second half of the book that the events surrounding the apocalypse itself are discussed in detail. I think that this allows the reader to focus on the characters and events in the present day and not necessarily on the defining events of the book’s past.

There were, however, a couple things that affected my enjoyment of this book. First, it took me a while to get both the characters and the timelines straight. As many of the characters didn’t have specific names, but rather pseudonyms (e.g. The Stranger), it wasn’t clear if we were talking about a character that would endure later in the book or just a general description. To begin with, the intermingling of perspectives and timelines confused me and prevented me from committing myself fully to the book. Second, and what I liked the least, was that it wasn’t 100% clear throughout the book what the overarching story was supposed to be. There were several story-lines that merged, a couple of main focuses, but in the end, I can really say what the main conflict and resolution of this novel really was. To be clear, each of the different aspects was interesting and worthwhile, but I didn’t get that satisfying feeling of global conflict resolution at the end of this one.

As I really did enjoy reading about Tysz’s prospective post-apocalyptic world, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. The book's characters were dynamic and fun, the individual plots were interesting to read, and the comments towards a primarily Hobbesian humanity is exciting. Based on a slight lack of direction and the confusion I had in the first half of the book, I opted to take off one star. This book is definitely recommended to those who jump on every post-apocalyptic novel or those that like a good tale about the dark side of humanity. If you don’t like seeing the horrors of human nature or if post-apocalyptic survival stories don’t get you going, this one won’t be for you. Open up the pages of The Turn if you dare and glimpse into the darkest depths of humanity.

The Turn
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Scerakor

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 81 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 94%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Turn by Matthew Tysz

Post Number:#2 by MsTri
» 07 Oct 2017, 00:43

It's a shame the overreaching plot wasn't clear until the end, but I too enjoy books with post-apocalyptic themes and the cast seems like a great group to know; I think I actually like that some of them have titles rather than actual names.

I'll probably go ahead and read this, but I'll do so with the fore-warnings you gave. Thanks for this.
MsTri

Favorite Book: The Prodigal Son
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 83 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#3 by kandscreeley
» 07 Oct 2017, 08:24

I'm glad you liked this. I started it but couldn't get past trying to figure out what the point was. Nice review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Fortunate Monsters" by Nancy Fulton
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 106 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 87%

Post Number:#4 by Gswag
» 07 Oct 2017, 17:02

Must be interesting for a reader like me who fancy the other side of humanity, light in the dark , clear vision of apocalypse... I will love to go deeper into this work of yours and will give you my ratings.
Gswag

Currently Reading: Les Miserables
Bookshelf Size: 17 books

Post Number:#5 by Msanzu
» 07 Oct 2017, 17:14

:lol: this is great stuff....so enjoyful
Msanzu

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#6 by Christina Rose
» 08 Oct 2017, 20:24

I enjoy post-apocalyptic stories, so I may have to give this one a try. Thank you for your honest review, and for sharing your thoughts.
Christina Rose's Latest Review: "From Drift to SHIFT" by Jody B. Miller
Christina Rose

Currently Reading: What Lies Within
Bookshelf Size: 102 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 49 Books
Goal Completion: 75%

Post Number:#7 by Amagine
» 09 Oct 2017, 06:33

I like the fact that the characters are dynamic and fun. It sounds like a book that I won't want to read.

Great Review! 🎃
"Writing something in the spirit of Halloween is just second nature to me." -Danny Elfman

"One must be a little crazy to write a good novel." -John Gardner
Amagine's Latest Review: "My Ladybird Story" by Magus Tor
Amagine
Bookshelves Moderator

Favorite Author: Dr. Seuss
Favorite Book: Writing Irresistible Kidlit
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 706 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Fire HD 7 Tablet
2017 Reading Goal: 400 Books
Goal Completion: 45%

Post Number:#8 by kislany
» 09 Oct 2017, 12:33

I love post-apocalyptic themed books. I think I'll grab this one. Thanks for the great review!
kislany

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by Georgialouise
» 12 Oct 2017, 02:27

I like post-apocalyptic books and after reading your review, I think I will give this one a try. Thanks for such a great review!
Georgialouise's Latest Review: "Apollo's Raven" by Linnea Tanner
Georgialouise

Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 61 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 60 Books
Goal Completion: 48%

Post Number:#10 by Athena Moon
» 12 Oct 2017, 05:25

The cover speaks for itself, and the story behind it is definitely right up my alley. However, even after reading the review I am still left confused, but craving to find out more about The Turn. Seems like there will be lots of madness and darkness mixed up. I am all in! Thanks for the review!
Athena Moon's Latest Review: "Holy Here Wholy You" by Kim Lincoln
Athena Moon

Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: The Lovely Bones
Currently Reading: Holy Here Wholly You
Bookshelf Size: 44 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 30%

Post Number:#11 by Spirit Wandering
» 12 Oct 2017, 18:38

I can understand how the lack of a strong story arc would be disappointing. Thanks for the review.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Spirit Wandering's Latest Review: "Clearing the Bases" by Jim Kaplan
Spirit Wandering

Favorite Book: Sebastian
Currently Reading: Dancing with Sophia
Bookshelf Size: 67 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by Kat Berg
» 13 Oct 2017, 19:52

The book cover drew me in to checking this one out, so thanks for the review. I am quite picky about my apocalyptic books, so I think I would just try a sample first to see if I can get past the first bit. It does sound interesting though.
Kat Berg

Currently Reading: Rendevous with Rama
Bookshelf Size: 164 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 7%

Post Number:#13 by Kat Kennedy
» 17 Oct 2017, 14:00

Very intriguing review. In general I like dystopian movies and serie, but I haven't really gotten into many books that are written in the genre. I'll keep this one in mind. I do like the cover!
Kat Kennedy

Currently Reading: Call Me Pomeroy
Bookshelf Size: 37 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 20%

Post Number:#14 by Cloe101
» 18 Oct 2017, 14:31

I love post-apocalyptic stories, very nice review.
What you want is 15 Christmases on December 25th, 15 birthdays, 15 years of sleeping next to him and waking up with him
Cloe101

Currently Reading: Roadmap to the End of Days
Bookshelf Size: 45 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#15 by meteku4
» 18 Oct 2017, 16:37

The review is lovely, but I don't think this is for me.
meteku4's Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
meteku4

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 42 books

View Reviewer Page