Review of Demonslayer

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Stephanie Runyon
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Destiny Hawkins
Favorite Book: The Omicron Six
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1675
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stephanie-runyon.html
Latest Review: The Angel of Death Origins by Laurent Cousineau
Reading Device: B07R3HTWLN
fav_author_id: 100303
2024 Reading Goal: 50
2024 Goal Completion: 114%

Review of Demonslayer

Post by Stephanie Runyon »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Demonslayer" by Ian P. Eviston.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Spirit Clayborn lives with his sister, Emily, in the slums of Crossus. Orphans after the arrest of their parents, the siblings struggle to survive. Emily receives the diagnosis of leukemia, and Spirit enters the underground cannibal fights to pay for her treatment. His final fight was against Meiko, who summons shadow apparitions that hold Spirit incapable of defending himself. Before he succumbs to his injuries, Spirit feels a rush of power. He has a magical sword appear and cut off Meiko’s hand. The cannibals become enraged, and Spirit is taken to a room, where he loses his arm. Before any more damage is done, a man made of wood rescues the unconscious fighter. Spirit awakens to see Zix and Iggy. They had rescued him and his sister. Zix explains that Emily can be cured by the Vanguard doctors as long as Spirit passes their tests. 

Meanwhile, Archdemon Xaxus has grown his army of demons. He wanted to enslave humanity and drain them of their aether, which would cause their death. His elderly father, Demonarch Yaxus, had made a treaty with humans to work alongside them in peace. He appoints Astaroth to prepare a speech to convince the demons that avoiding war is in their best interests. However, Astaroth is troubled by Xaxus’ call for war to end the famine that threatened their lives. Xaxus, Thrazul, and Glissirix oppose Demonarch Yaxus, and Astaroth wonders if they may be right after seeing demons feeding on women and children in small villages. Julius Krane, the leader of the cannibals, approaches Archdemon Xaxus. He swears loyalty and offers to show Xaxus how to get past the Crossus’ wall. Taking down the Crossus would allow Xaxus to defeat the Vanguard and rule over humanity.

I.P. Eviston’s Demonslayer is the first book in the Vanguard Chronicles. The Vanguard are elite fighters that are sent on the most dangerous missions. The character development is exceptional, as it provides the perspective of several characters. Spirit was a metal summoner capable of using multiple weapons at the same time without physically touching them. Amelia was out to show everyone that enchanters could help with combat. She was an exceptional strategist. Dimitri was a titan who had immeasurable strength and could manipulate water into any form. While he would not have attempted to be part of the Vanguard, he was connected to Skylar. Skylar was an unstable fire titan who dreamed of being in the Vanguard. Her resilience in battle had no limit. Rounding out Spirit’s squad was Taya. Taya was a summoner who must serve the Vanguard or she will face execution. Working as a cohesive group, they could take on powerful adversaries and protect one another.

I have nothing negative to say about this epic fantasy story. The vivid details of each moment were easy to envision. The emotions of every person were relatable, and I understood their motivation. There were moments of humor in the unpredictable plot. For instance, Dimitri always wore a tie, a dress shirt, and slacks. When in training, he carried seven identical outfits. If something was torn or dirty, he would change. In one scene, he took his tie off and folded it so it wouldn’t get dirty. 

I rate Demonslayer five out of five stars. I was impressed with all of the elements Eviston put together in one book. Giving a voice to both sides adds depth to the unpredictable plot. I enjoyed seeing the personal thoughts of the characters. The editing was professional, and the transition between scenes and characters was easy to follow.

Demonslayer will appeal to young adults who like fantasy stories full of action. There is mild violence, death, and profanity that could be overwhelming for sensitive readers. I look forward to continuing reading this series.

Demonslayer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
"Facts don't care about feelings." Ben Shapiro
"Don't try to keep up with me, I live on the edge too thin to see." Ryan Upchurch
"See, one man's inconvenience is another's joy." NF
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

I might be old for this series but this novel seems to be engaging with great characters and plot making it a strong start for this fantasy saga. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”