Review of Elysium Asunder

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Patrícia Gomes
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 61
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-patr-cia-gomes.html
Latest Review: A Kingdom Forgotten by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Review of Elysium Asunder

Post by Patrícia Gomes »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Elysium Asunder" by Jim Raith.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Elysium Asunder by Jim Raith is one of the most interesting books I have read in a while. We all know what is going on in the world right now with multiple sources of conflict and war, but to be able to read a work of fiction that perfectly translates the war between Hamas and Israel is quite an incredible achievement.

Touching on such a harsh topic as a war, it only makes sense to describe this book as horror fiction, mixed with some sci-fi and ultra-technology elements. The fact that the scenery for this book is defined as a war zone turns the book into an immersive one due to the familiar and current events in our world and the unfortunate imagery we are all confronted with in our daily lives and on the news. Still, some elements are left to the imagination, which I applaud.

I adored every character, as they all represented a different trait of humanity in my eyes. Ceede represents evolution, contemporaryity, and the fear of the unknown. Elijah represents resilience and vulnerability at the same time. Having faced the unthinkable, Elijah is focused on his mission and never takes his eyes off his true desires. At last, Noora represents courage, minorities, and, unfortunately, the true meaning of being a victim of society as a young Palestinian who has suffered immensely in this war. Together, these characters contribute to the perfect sense of humanity and disdain for these unbearable wars, making them all incredible elements of this book.

The character development is extremely well achieved, and the book’s background is well described, leaving some room for interpretation and curiosity, especially when it comes to how we imagine the contrast between humans and aliens, which can only be left to everyone's mind.

However, I do have one small downside. The premise of this book is quite interesting and has incredible potential. Unfortunately, some of the elements in this book, especially regarding sci-fi, are quite hard to understand and interlace with a topic as real as the Palestinian-Israeli war. The truth is that this war is very fresh and current, and mixing it with unreal elements or forces creates a weird combo that took me some time to get used to. I never knew what was a reference to reality and what was just pure imagination or scientific fiction, even though it is quite clear that intergalactic topics are not exactly our reality.

With that being said, considering my downside is merely subjective, I understand that the book is a mix of reality and fiction, but it created a weird confusion in my head while reading it. For this reason, I rate this book 3 out of 5 stars.

On a lighter note, the book is extremely well edited, as I didn’t find a single error and the writing style is quite impeccable, making this a read for any sci-fi enthusiast or anyone interested in reading about the current war between Palestine and Israel with a different perspective and an open mind to some intergalactic elements and advanced technology.

Elysium Asunder
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 1027
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Severed Roots by Nego Huzcotoq
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I am glad that this particular book was so well edited. Reading a book with such advanced technology would be challenging even without many error. I think, however, that I would be more suited to reading a book in which the characters were just characters and didn’t do a whole lot of representation. Thanks!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like the type of story you hope is science fiction but you fear it's not, as it tells about the future developments of the current situation between Israel and Palestine. I'm not sure I want to read about it right now but one day I might be in the right mood to do it. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”