Review of Velocious Evolution

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
EBERE WRITES COCEPT
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 86
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ebere-writes-cocept.html
Latest Review: Why They Stay by Anne Michaud

Review of Velocious Evolution

Post by EBERE WRITES COCEPT »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Velocious Evolution" by Ron Saetermoe.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

Dr. Keene tried everything he could to save his daughter from cancer. Despite consulting the best doctors, there was nothing more they could do for her. She needed to go into hospice care. Dr. Keene’s daughter, Leslie, decided to receive this care at home. Nurse Simms was assigned to her as her nurse. Dr. Keene was emotionally devastated; he didn’t want to lose his only child. Then, he met someone who introduced himself as Tic. Tic promised to cure Leslie’s cancer, but in exchange, Dr. Keene must help him with something his planet needs the most. What wouldn't a parent do to save their only child?

Velocious Evolution by Ron Saetermoe is a captivating and emotionally charged science fiction novel that blends personal tragedy with an interplanetary quest for survival. Dr. Keene is a professor who is on the brink of losing his daughter, Leslie, to cancer. Having already lost his wife, Janice, to the same disease, Keene is overwhelmed with grief and desperation. Balancing his teaching responsibilities and the emotional strain of his daughter’s illness, Keene is assigned Dana, an enthusiastic and intelligent graduate teaching assistant who adds a dynamic layer to his professional life.

My favorite character in the book is Leslie. Having been on the brink of death, one can imagine what she went through, how she tried to fight cancer, and how she accepted her fate. It was heartbreaking to see her that way and to witness her going through it. The pain of not living a normal life like her peers was palpable. Additionally, the story clearly shows that she has a pure heart.

The book is a masterful blend of science fiction and human drama, offering a compelling narrative that explores themes of hope, resilience, and the universal quest for survival. The characters are richly developed, and the plot is both emotionally resonant and intellectually stimulating. Dana was another character I loved. I appreciated her intelligence and felt the writer could have given her a more active role in the book beyond the part she played. I found nothing to dislike about the book. Additionally, the book is impeccably edited.

I rate the book 5 out of 5 stars. This is one of the best plots I have read. The introduction of Tic from Kepler-186e adds a fascinating science fiction element. The detailed portrayal of Keene’s skepticism turning into trust, especially after discovering Tic’s background and experiencing the treatment himself, was handled expertly. The global political intrigue and media frenzy surrounding Tic’s mission to save his planet further enhance the plot’s richness. I recommend the book to fans of science fiction and emotional drama.

Velocious Evolution
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Amy Luman
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 1027
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: Severed Roots by Nego Huzcotoq
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

I’d be interested in knowing where Tic’s planet was and what Dr. Keene could do to save it. I guess I’ll have to read the book to find out. Thanks!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

A personal drama intertwined with a planetary drama is definitely not the usual foundation for a story, so I'm intrigued by the possible developments of this novel and curious to see what will happen to Tic's planet and Leslie. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”