Review of The Writing for the Vialins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Pandora's Star
Bookshelf Size: 448
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: Entanglement - Quantum and Otherwise by John K Danenbarger
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 70%

Review of The Writing for the Vialins

Post by NetMassimo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Writing for the Vialins" by Anna Yusuf.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf is a fantasy novel about gods and their creations. Avva is a Vialin, an offspring of the gods. However, nobody has seen a god and lived. Avva is the first who does it. After that, she finds herself in a complex situation in which an unknown creature that might be a god or an animal mates with her. She discovers she's pregnant, which worries her because she has no idea about what her child will look like. Avva's life changes a lot in many ways: some good, some bad. She struggles to understand her path, which seems to include creating a bridge between the different groups of Vialins.

The story is written in the first person, narrated by Avva like it's a sort of diary, although the style makes it much more than that. That's because Avva writes what happens after she meets a god using a tone that made me feel like she's writing about a myth in the making. From her point of view, it's a religious experience.

The whole setting is described in a way that offers a feel of something beyond our realm. For example, Avva says that she's from the planet Pluto, other characters are from different planets, and parts of the story are set on different planets. However, those are not the planets we know, as people live on them as we live on Earth, in normal houses, with forests and rivers. All those things make me think of a realm that is parallel to ours where the planets are different.

Despite the setting in another realm, the problems Avva faces are familiar to us. At the beginning of the novel, Avva offers explanations about the gods and the Vialins with the relationship and the conflicts between them. It seems pretty simple but Avva discovers that things are more complicated. There are divisions that are caused by various reasons, including the difficulty of going beyond prejudice to understand each other. To understand others, Avva has to understand herself first, which is made more difficult by a situation that is confusing for her.

The narration in the first person helps to follow Avva's path towards understanding herself and others, Vialins and gods. However, sometimes the author's style isn't particularly clear. For example, there are leaps forward in time within a chapter while chapters often end in the middle of events. Quotation marks for dialogues or for the mention of inscriptions are used only occasionally with the consequence that sometimes you have to pay extra attention to understand who's talking. On the other hand, that style is highly evocative, so the flaws are minor, in my opinion.

The story includes sexual references, although not graphic, especially when Avva tells about her mating, so caution is advised if you think about giving this novel to young readers. The story includes gods, so it might go against some religious sensitivity. I recommend The Writing for the Vialins to readers interested in stories of struggles to understand themselves and others, especially if you like to read about realms full of magic. I think these themes have a strong development with an evocative style, so I rate this novel 5 out of 5 stars.

The Writing for the Vialins
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ciao :)
Massimo
Yin Jiang
Currently Reading: The Undercover Economist Strikes Back
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-yin-jiang.html
Latest Review: Sister B by David Charles Hart

Post by Yin Jiang »

This book sounds really interesting, especially with the different realms and the involvement of magic. An evocative style would also help to draw the reader in. Looking forward to reading this book!
Amy Luman
Currently Reading: 30th Century: Escape (General Audience Edition)
Bookshelf Size: 1027
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amy-luman.html
Latest Review: The Lost Identity Casualties by Kim Ekemar
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Amy Luman »

This book sounds really good, according to your review. I am interested to see what happens with Avva and her pregnancy. The use of what seems to be a parallel universe is also very intriguing. Thanks!
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Yin Jiang wrote: 05 Jun 2024, 09:28 This book sounds really interesting, especially with the different realms and the involvement of magic. An evocative style would also help to draw the reader in. Looking forward to reading this book!
If you like that kind of story, you'll enjoy this novel. Have fun, and thank you for you comment!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Amy Luman wrote: 05 Jun 2024, 09:41 This book sounds really good, according to your review. I am interested to see what happens with Avva and her pregnancy. The use of what seems to be a parallel universe is also very intriguing. Thanks!
A lot happens, especially considering that this novel is quite short. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Gerry Steen
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading: The Impossible Mock Orange Trial
Bookshelf Size: 232
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gerry-steen.html
Latest Review: When Zacchy Got Sick by Meera Randeria

Post by Gerry Steen »

From your review, I assume that there is a generational conflict between the gods and the Vialins. I am curious to read how the author portrays life on the other planets. I am wondering how Avva's mating experience was. Was she raped or was it consensual? What was her offspring like? Did Ava discover her self-identity? All of these questions make the book interesting. I am adding it to my bookshelves. Thank you for this well-written and informative review. You always do a great review. :techie-studyinggray:
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Gerry Steen wrote: 05 Jun 2024, 15:33 From your review, I assume that there is a generational conflict between the gods and the Vialins. I am curious to read how the author portrays life on the other planets. I am wondering how Avva's mating experience was. Was she raped or was it consensual? What was her offspring like? Did Ava discover her self-identity? All of these questions make the book interesting. I am adding it to my bookshelves. Thank you for this well-written and informative review. You always do a great review. :techie-studyinggray:
The conflicts are more complex than a generational conflict between gods and Vialins for reasons that are discovered throughout the novel. That's part of Avva's discoveries. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
David Awunor
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 22
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-david-awunor.html
Latest Review: Play Golf Better Faster: The Little Golf Bag Book by Kalliope Barlis

Post by David Awunor »

I kept reading "villains" instead of "vialins." Nice review!
Alissa Nesson
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alissa-nesson.html
Latest Review: First Survivor by Mark Unger

Post by Alissa Nesson »

How fascinating! I’m intrigued by the unique premise and the possibility of a parallel world with more habitable planets in the solar system, as well as what happens to Avva with her predicament. I’m also curious about this “mating,” and whether she wanted to or was forced. Thank you for an interesting review! I’ll keep an eye out for this book.
:tiphat:
“Our lives become the stories that we weave.”
- Once On This Island
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

David Awunor wrote: 06 Jun 2024, 10:05 I kept reading "villains" instead of "vialins." Nice review!
Hehehe, it can take a bit to read it right. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Alissa Nesson wrote: 06 Jun 2024, 14:09 How fascinating! I’m intrigued by the unique premise and the possibility of a parallel world with more habitable planets in the solar system, as well as what happens to Avva with her predicament. I’m also curious about this “mating,” and whether she wanted to or was forced. Thank you for an interesting review! I’ll keep an eye out for this book.
:tiphat:
The realm of the gods and Vialins is fascinating in various ways, familiar yet different from ours. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
Cristina-Ioana Toader
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 77
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cristina-ioana-toader.html
Latest Review: Corky, the Three-Legged Dog by Ronald Arne Saetermoe

Post by Cristina-Ioana Toader »

As always, I appreciate the effort you put into providing detailed insights about "The Writing for the Vialins." The topic of gods has always fascinated me. While I’m a big fan of Greek mythology, this book appears to take a slightly different approach. Nevertheless, it seems worth exploring.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

Cristina-Ioana Toader wrote: 10 Jun 2024, 10:24 As always, I appreciate the effort you put into providing detailed insights about "The Writing for the Vialins." The topic of gods has always fascinated me. While I’m a big fan of Greek mythology, this book appears to take a slightly different approach. Nevertheless, it seems worth exploring.
The author might very well have good knowledge of ancient Greek tragedy but added her own ideas about gods and their creatures. Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo
MAHAD BAIG MIRZA
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mahad-baig-mirza.html
Latest Review: Harmony by Apala Banerjee
2024 Reading Goal: 20
2024 Goal Completion: 90%

Post by MAHAD BAIG MIRZA »

This review of "The Writing for the Vialins" by Anna Yusuf is intriguing as it provides a vivid and thoughtful reflection of the book's complex world and themes. The review effectively captures the novel's unique narrative style and evocative storytelling. The reviewer's skilful work highlights both the strengths and minor flaws, offering a balanced and engaging overview.
NetMassimo

Post by NetMassimo »

MAHAD BAIG MIRZA wrote: 11 Jun 2024, 05:48 This review of "The Writing for the Vialins" by Anna Yusuf is intriguing as it provides a vivid and thoughtful reflection of the book's complex world and themes. The review effectively captures the novel's unique narrative style and evocative storytelling. The reviewer's skilful work highlights both the strengths and minor flaws, offering a balanced and engaging overview.
Thank you for your appreciation!
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”