Official Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
ReyvrexQuestor Reyes
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 299
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reyvrexquestor-reyes.html
Latest Review: Journey by Lindsay Schuster
Reading Device: 1400697484

Re: Official Review: Roan by E. R. Barr

Post by ReyvrexQuestor Reyes »

I like stories with the fairy-tale-like ending. Good triumphs over evil. That's the "good-feel" formula a good story should follow, very well done in this one. Thanks for the excellent review. I feel like having read the book already. Too bad. But the nice narrative of the review augured well for the pleasant and enjoyable read forthcoming. I will read the book! Thanks again.
"In the beginning was the word.........John 1:1"
...To delineate the times that lovers miss,
...A thousand dreams can't beat a single kiss.

-reyvrex (Love Sonnet 107)
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

ReyvrexQuestor Reyes wrote:I like stories with the fairy-tale-like ending. Good triumphs over evil. That's the "good-feel" formula a good story should follow, very well done in this one. Thanks for the excellent review. I feel like having read the book already. Too bad. But the nice narrative of the review augured well for the pleasant and enjoyable read forthcoming. I will read the book! Thanks again.
Thank you for the favorable comments. The book is well worth the time. There is more in the book than can possibly be included in the review! If you enjoy mythical characters this story is replete with them. I loved the written version but the audible was wonderful as well.
CommMayo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 80
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-commmayo.html
Latest Review: Changed by Vicki Stiefel
Reading Device: B00G2Y4WNY

Post by CommMayo »

Great review of this book. I think I'll try to find it as an audiobook through my library. Would you characterize this book as young adult or as a novel for adults?
Jennifer Allsbrook
Favorite Book: Nightlord: Sunset
Currently Reading: An American Hedge Fund
Bookshelf Size: 133
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jennifer-allsbrook.html
Latest Review: Audible Book of your Choice by Amazon

Post by Jennifer Allsbrook »

CommMayo wrote:Great review of this book. I think I'll try to find it as an audiobook through my library. Would you characterize this book as young adult or as a novel for adults?
This novel could be read by older teens but I felt that the themes also make it appropriate for adults. The audiobook and its narrator are great! I hope you enjoy the book. Thank you for the kind comments.
Ayomaamianda
Favorite Book: Twisted Threads
Currently Reading: Burn Zones
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ayomaamianda.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Ayomaamianda »

The audio version of the book sounds more interesting and I will definitely listen to the story.
Rosebella
Favorite Author: J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
Favorite Book: Queen takes Queen
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 262
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosebella.html
Latest Review: The Dark Web Murders by Brian O'Hare
fav_author_id: 96867

Post by Rosebella »

Great review .definitely details more on what to expect of the storyline .thanks
Books are a uniquely portable magic.
–Stephen King

There is no friend as loyal as a book.
–Ernest Hemingway

Reading gives us someplace to go when we have to stay where we are.
–Mason Cooley
:tiphat: :techie-studyingbrown: :D
isa3030
Currently Reading: Just in Time
Bookshelf Size: 81
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by isa3030 »

The Book:Roan,a science-fiction-fantasy novel written by E R Barr is an interesting account in a differnt way.A little Wisconsin town called Grove with stories of myth and other worldly powers such as mysterious things known as Roan;from on set readers saw Johnson Walter a fisherman from river as river demon and Roan met Conor Archer in the street of Chicago while rushing to home Conor suffered knock by a biker,he saw a woman who stood by the public place who spoke with him about his future.But when he get home he saw his mother criticaly sick,she asked him to return to his home town of Tinker's Grove,Conor thereafter boarded bus and there begins the tale of Conor Archer.Beautiful outing for both the author and the reviewer,the reviewer seem to me to have thoroghly read and examed the story as it flows commenting the author for his excellent performance rating the booking 4-4star as he recommend it to lovers of science-fiction-fantasy novel.Grab your copy and witness of well written story a must read to me.
Fati-bola
Currently Reading: Rogue Captain
Bookshelf Size: 329
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-fati-bola.html
Latest Review: Murder in Memory by Mike Thorne
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Fati-bola »

I agree with the review that the potpourri of science, fiction, myth, legend mysticism and mystery is superbly and expertly carried out by the author. Thanks for the honest and detailed review.
Kaduffy215
Currently Reading: Roan
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Kaduffy215 »

Thank you Jennifer, I am currently reading only 34% through and find this book one I just cannot put down. The character development is done really well and the story... It is just very intriguing and cannot wait to read more. Since the book is 1st in series, I cannot imagine what will happen later on in this book. Thanks! :techie-studyinggray: :clap:
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

Great review! You make it sound very exciting and interesting. I'm not a fan of the supernatural fantasy but I think I'll try this. I am also intrigued to try the audio book.
Nizar Ali Shah
Currently Reading: Tourist Trap
Bookshelf Size: 148

Post by Nizar Ali Shah »

This book is interesting and captivating.It covers mysticism and mythology in this book.The author F.R.Barr immerses readers in the unique reality of a little Wisconsin town called Tinker's Grove with a blend of myth.
Aan Granados
Currently Reading: Massacre Rocks
Bookshelf Size: 873
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aan-granados.html
Latest Review: The Vanished by Pejay Bradley

Post by Aan Granados »

I am not a big fan of the paranormal but I occasionally enjoy reading one. I have a feeling this is one. I also haven't tried the audiobook version. Thanks for your review.
Leen282
Currently Reading: Live Your Life of Abundance
Bookshelf Size: 134
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-leen282.html
Latest Review: Beautifully Scarred by Cewanda Todd

Post by Leen282 »

I am not naturally drawn to stories about supernatural powers, demons, and science fiction settings. This book does appeal to me because of the storyline: a teenager experiencing a heartbreaking loss, fighting evil, preferring to stay human. I am compelled to go for the audio version.
Chitra Ayengar
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chitra-ayengar.html
Latest Review: The DrugTech Trilogy by Marcel Victor Sahade

Post by Chitra Ayengar »

Thus is a unique reality of a town Tinker's Grove where other where other worldly powers and mysterious shpae shifters exist. This is the story of Conor Archer who visits his hometown to fulfil his ailing mother's wish. Ideal for fiction lovers.
NetMassimo
Currently Reading: Star Maker
Bookshelf Size: 426
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 36%

Post by NetMassimo »

This seems like a really strong urban fantasy novel that starts a series mixing some classic tropes of the fantasy genre with bits of science, mysticism, myths and legends, and more. The well-developed characters enrich an engaging story. I'll look into this series. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”