Review of Alice Drake and the Crystals of Eden

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Isaac Oh
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 96
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isaac-oh.html
Latest Review: The Greatest Battle of Culture by Panigrahi Bethi

Review of Alice Drake and the Crystals of Eden

Post by Isaac Oh »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Alice Drake and the Crystals of Eden" by Steve A. Day.]
Book Cover
5 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

In Alice Drake and the Crystals of Eden, Steve A. Day weaves a gripping story that follows the journey of Alice Drake and twelve other superhuman individuals as they navigate a fallen United States of America.

In 2032, during the war that led to the fall of the United States, a group of people went to the Adirondack forest, and Drake's village was established. Among Drake's village inhabitants were thirteen teenagers known as chestnuts, who all had distinctive features and special skills. Alice Drake was one of them. When danger threatened, their abilities were put to the test, and they embarked on an adventure to rescue North America.

The book is a gripping tale of survival and power. Steve's portrayal of the forest, home to Drake's village, is nothing short of mesmerizing. With a masterful use of language and vivid imagery, I was transported into a lush, verdant world. His ability to bring the forest and Drake's village to life is a key element of the book's charm. The vivid world-building not only sets the scene for an epic tale of adventure and heroism but also leaves a lasting impression.

One of the central themes of the book is the importance of cities and the role they play in society. Steve skillfully highlights the vast amount of power that cities hold. When these cities are shut off from the rest of the country, it not only affects the people within their borders but also has far-reaching consequences that ripple outward, impacting everyone in their path. The book also serves as a reminder of the interconnectedness between cities and the country as a whole. It explores the symbiotic relationship between cities and rural areas, underscoring the fact that in order for one to thrive, the other must also prosper.

The heart-pounding action scenes in this book are truly a standout feature that captivated me. The way they are vividly written made me feel like I was right there in the midst of the chaos, experiencing every moment first-hand. Steve's attention to detail in describing the action sequences was truly remarkable. He painted a vivid picture in my mind that brought the scenes to life in a way that felt almost tangible. Each fight and each moment of tension had me on the edge of my seat, eagerly turning the pages to see what would happen next.

This is a mesmerizing and thought-provoking book that is sure to captivate readers. It has absolutely nothing to dislike, and the editing is impeccable. It deserves 5 out of 5 stars. I highly recommend it to fans of dystopian fiction and fantasy alike.

Alice Drake and the Crystals of Eden
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Rebsykeyz
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Rebsykeyz »

I never would have known a thing about the whole chaos, without the help of this book.
The author did a great job putting some pictures in my mind's eye.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

A story of people with special skills in the USA after their fall and break-up is intriguing, so I'm interested in this novel even if lately I'm not keen on reading dystopian stories. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”