Review of Wednesday's Child

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Annabell Samuel
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-annabell-samuel.html
Latest Review: The Hoplites of Leith by Gordon George Kinghorn

Review of Wednesday's Child

Post by Annabell Samuel »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Wednesday's Child" by JA Carlton.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

“Wednesday’s Child” by J.A. Carlton introduces us to a future world where there is a unification of intelligence agencies and military forces. All the intelligence agencies united to form the Upper Command (U.C.), and the military forces united to form the New United Military Alliance (NUMA).

Jade, a genetically engineered soldier, and her fellow Delta squad members have been accused of murdering their ex-commanding officer, Harry Mitchell. Jade was not on good terms with Harry because of what he did to her in one of their Colorado missions. Her gun was found on the crime scene, and she had a motive. However, she claimed she was innocent. She needed evidence to prove that she and her team were innocent, even if it meant traveling back in time.

This book touched on many themes. There was the theme of genetic mutation, where government agencies alter the genetic configuration of selected folks to create loyal killing machines. We also see the theme of time travel, where these government agencies send special agents back in time to carry out classified missions. We also see the theme of power tussle, where the U.C. and NUMA always seek superior intelligence and information to undermine one another. This book is not a regular sci-fi narrative; readers will be treated to much more. 

I liked how the author treated the genetic mutation aspect of the narrative. I have read some books on genetic mutation, and it seems like genetically mutated individuals behave like robots. In this book, the author balanced the human and superhuman abilities of the genetically mutated soldiers. This realistic approach made the story believable. I would have given this book a pass for perfection. However, there was an aspect I did not like.

I followed and enjoyed this book until Jade had to travel back in time. There were so many confusing things about that time-travel narrative. For instance, her new commanding officer, Stone Rivers, was killed by another genetically mutated soldier, Tyrell. Meanwhile, Jade traveled to a time when Stone’s grandfather was in his prime. I had to  reread that part many times, but it left me wondering, “How did Stone find himself in that timeline?” I did not like the confusion.

Meanwhile, the author always lets me know where a scene is happening. I commend the author for that. However, considering the confusion in the time-travel aspect, I rate the book four out of five stars. I recommend it to lovers of time travel and genetic mutation narratives.

Wednesday's Child
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Julius Peters
In It Together VIP
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 17
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-julius-peters.html
Latest Review: Quando Dormo by Edward Izzi

Post by Julius Peters »

The realistic portrayal of genetically engineered soldiers adds depth to the narrative, balancing their superhuman abilities with relatable human emotions and dilemmas.
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: Fantastic Voyage II
Bookshelf Size: 441
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Writing for the Vialins by Anna Yusuf
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 56%

Post by NetMassimo »

Time travel can be tricky to develop without causing confusion. In this case, it's mixed with the theme of genetic alterations to create a story that is not perfect but is intriguing in various ways. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”