Official Review: The Bellringer by William Timothy Murray

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Seraphia Bunny Sparks
Currently Reading: Lying Lainey
Bookshelf Size: 653
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-seraphia-bunny-sparks.html
Latest Review: The Undying Queen of Ur by Abraham Kawa & Arahom Radjah
Reading Device: B01J94T4R2

Re: Official Review: The Bellringer by William Timothy Murray

Post by Seraphia Bunny Sparks »

Thank you for the engaging review! The blurb grabbed my attention and your review sealed the deal! I need this book! lol
Paul78
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 38572">Who Told You That You Were Naked?</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-paul78.html
Latest Review: Burn Zones by Jorge P. Newbery

Post by Paul78 »

That indeed is a great review. I look at the book and it's approach is great from the sample I have gone through I have already seen a built up suspense through out the story.
An investment in knowledge pays the best interest.
Benjamin Franklin
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

This book sounds like just the type of book I'd read. However, from the title, of both the book and the series, I would have given this one a wide berth. I think if the author wants a best seller on his hands he should reconsider them.

Thanks for the great review.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Janetleighgreen
Favorite Author: Janet Leigh Green
Currently Reading: Before She Disappeared
Bookshelf Size: 204
fav_author_id: 42198

Post by Janetleighgreen »

Thank you for your review, the author should feel proud of the job they did on this book from your review. I love fantasies, so I'll be getting my copy soon. Sheila sounds amazing, I love strong women characters, especially in this genre. It's also nice to read a book where the chapters flow smoothly. Thanks again! Nice job on the review!
abran
Currently Reading: Between the World and Me
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by abran »

Thanks for the very clear review. I especially appreciate your description of the book's pacing - crafted so as not to lose the viewer, and to keep them with suspense. I had a few questions though - how different were the point of views of each character, do they show that Robby is at all unreliable or are they just the natural differences of multiple narrators? Do you think most fantasy novels are still written with such two dimensional female characters, and if they were all held to a higher standard, would Sheila still be as impressive?
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

It sounds like this is a really great book! From the writing to the storyline, there doesn’t seem like anything to dislike. Thanks for the review!
Gbemisola
Bookshelf Size: 109
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gbemisola.html
Latest Review: Diary of a Snoopy Cat by R.F. Kristi

Post by Gbemisola »

This book is sounds similar to 'The Soveriegn of the Seven Isles' series by David A. Wells. I really enjoyed reading these and I believe I will enjoy reading The Bellringer and other books in it's series. Thanks for the great review!
greenstripedgiraffe
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The New Strong-Willed Child
Bookshelf Size: 274
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-greenstripedgiraffe.html
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris

Post by greenstripedgiraffe »

Intriguing! To compare this with LOTR, is rather high praise!
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
Latest Review: Swarm by Guy Morris
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

I read the sample, and I absolutely love the book so far.
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
jaliper
Currently Reading: The Healer
Bookshelf Size: 598

Post by jaliper »

Woah! Five books. Are they all finished? Because I dont want cliffhanger endings. But I wanna read this too! Im adding this in my list for 2018. Thanks for this!!!
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

This seems like a great book for me to read. I think I’ll add this to me reading list. Great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Denny Bong
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0
Reading Device: B00L89V1AA

Post by Denny Bong »

The Bellringer. No cliffhanger ending, you say of the book. We are allured and compelled by the well crafted review to know how it will end for all the characters by a yearning to read all the four books in the series Thanks for a great review.
Ryquman
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ryquman »

I am all in for a good fantasy book, book I am more intrigued by a good story line and the bellringer seems simplistic, But.
I have learned the hard way never to judge a book by its cover/ title and a comparison to the lord of the rings means there is something in there worth reading, so I will give it a try
Peterhchurch
Favorite Author: Douglas E. Richards
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 39423">The creacher from jeckle island</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 155
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-peterhchurch.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
fav_author_id: 18660

Post by Peterhchurch »

some mistake somewhere, the prolog i read has no relevance to these reviews, also part 1 is very difficult to read with no characters developed.
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
tmazonga
Currently Reading: Last Seen
Bookshelf Size: 26

Post by tmazonga »

The Bellringer by William Timothy Murray

According to information on Amazon, The Bellringer is the first of five books in the series of an epic fantasy adventure titled The Year of the Red Door written by William Timothy Murray. The four others are The Nature of a Curse (Volume 2), A Distant Light (Volume 3), The Dreamwalker (Volume 4), and To Touch a Dream (Volume 5).

The author makes me wonder whether the choice of the colour “red” in the title of the series, was fortuitous or premeditated, for red is a colour that throws up a lot of connotations. It represents danger (street lights), blood that flows in times of conflict, and the fire that burns. Yet a closer look at the brief preface at the beginning of the books leaves one with the impression that there is a clear link between the colour red and the conflict observed between the author and his editors. That is because he lets it known that even publishing the book was in itself “an adventure with ups and downs” and “bumps and jostles” in which his “patient” editors and the often “cantankerous and difficult client” that he proved to be, had to put up with each other.

The connotative use of the colour red is further borne out in the conflict in which, Robby, a young and innocent rural child leaves his caring parents and embarks on a journey that at first looks benign but turns out to be a nightmare. While the lad is having a quiet and ordinary day at home with his dad and mum, or a stranger who turns out to be a relative turns up, asks him to do him a favour by delivering a parcel to a man named Ashlord at an address he knows from a distance, simply because he the person who brought the parcel is too busy doing other things. Yet, what initially looked like a harmless and benign mission thrust on the teenager by his cousin, the stranger Ullin, turns out to be a nightmare as he loses his way and is even attacked by a pack of wolves. To be honest, I suspect that Ullin knew what lay ahead for the poor lad and deliberately decided to let him be the one to carry the can. One cannot help wondering what the boy did to deserve such a Calvary.

Throughout the story, the author succeeds in keeping the reader in total suspense and expectation of what is to come next. Not for one moment have I been bored reading the pages. Yet, in all of that, he keeps his characters to a down-to-earth level, making them express themselves in the language of the ordinary rural and uneducated people they are. The story is a befitting snapshot that nostalgically recalls the long gone centuries of carts, horses, castles, the nobility and the commoners. So, it is not just literature, but also history.

I like the story as it reminds me of Alice in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll, Gulliver`s Travels by Jonathan Swift, and The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien. What I do not like about the free sample is that instead of taking the reader this far on such an exciting adventure and then abruptly dumping him to his/her own devices at the beginning of a chapter entitled “The Fortress”, the sample could have allowed one to read more about the escapade, even if it meant doing so in brief excerpts only. All told, this book would be useful for teachers and scholars who are interested in approaching history through the prism of literature.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”