Official Review: The Bellringer by William Timothy Murray

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1034
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ellieonline03.html
Latest Review: Quest for Closure by David B. McKinney
2024 Reading Goal: 12
2024 Goal Completion: 0%

Official Review: The Bellringer by William Timothy Murray

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Bellringer" by William Timothy Murray.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Bellringer is the first book in William Timothy Murray’s The Year of the Red Door series. It follows Robby, an ordinary store assistant, who finds out that his life may not be as ordinary as he thinks it is. It is written in third-person point of view. The book explores themes such as good versus evil, friendship, and love.

Robby Ribbon only meant to deliver a letter to someone. Somewhere along the way, he got lost and came upon a fortress that protected the Great Bell. He accidentally rang the Great Bell while running for his life from a pack of hungry wolves. When the bell rang, it broke the enchantments that guarded it for many centuries. The tolling of the bell was also heard throughout the Seven Realms, and it attracted the supporters and old enemies of an ancient kingdom. Unknown to Robby, that incident changed his life forever.

This fantasy adventure novel had many strong points. There was a smooth transition from one chapter to another. Each chapter uses a different character to focus on. The author did not solely focus on Robby’s adventures. There was ample time for the secondary characters to leave an impression to readers. I understood what the other characters were experiencing. They saw the situation in a different light than the main character, and that difference was something I appreciate as well. There was also a steady pace throughout the story. It was not too slow to bore the readers and not too fast to confuse them. Even the action-packed parts were carefully crafted. It did not feel rushed. There was also enough time to build up suspense.

Although there were many likable characters, I liked Sheila the most. Sheila was tomboyish, but she had a feminine side as well. She was a strong and skillful woman. She had a troubled past, but she never stopped moving forward. I loved that she was not like the typical damsel-in-distress character I read in most fantasy novels. Rather than wait to be saved by Robby, she works hard to save herself and the others around her.

Without a doubt, Mr. Murray created a masterpiece. From the complex world-building to a myriad set of realistic characters, The Bellringer was excellently done. I easily award it with 4 out of 4 stars. Readers should be ready to laugh, cry, rage, love, despair, and hope. Since this is only the first book in the series, some readers may have unanswered questions by the end of the book. I have questions, too, but I did not feel that it had a cliffhanger ending. Rather, I am excited to read the next book! I did a little research and found out that the other four books in the series were already published. Readers who enjoy fantasy adventure such as the Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien would surely find delight in The Bellringer.

The Bellringer
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like ellieonline03's review? Post a comment saying so!
"For you, a thousand times over." - The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

It's very nice that the author didn't only focus on the main character, that happens a lot.
Thanks for your review.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thanks for this engrossing review, ellieonline03! I want to know what happens to Robby after he rings the wrong bell. Not all bells save, after all.
DeboraSilva
Currently Reading: The Ask and the Answer
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborasilva.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by DeboraSilva »

Th strong set of secondary characters makes me curious, it must be fascinating to read something where the author doesn't focus only in the main character and manages to put everyone on the spotlight. Great review, thank you for it!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Very nice. It sounds quite interesting. Thanks for a lovely review. I'll have to put this on my list.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ellie Gatillo
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 74609">The Devil and Miss Prym</a>
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Thank you for checking it out!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I love novels that allow for involvement, and I love fantasy adventure so I am in. Great review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

The book is definitely a thriller, i would definitely want to know what happens to Robby in the book.Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Riochi Komas
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Riochi Komas »

Great review!

Now I'm wondering if Robby eventually delivered the letter.
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Riochi Komas wrote:Great review!

Now I'm wondering if Robby eventually delivered the letter.
You'll know when you read the book. :lol:
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I enjoy novels that have good secondary characters so I think I would like this one. Good review-thanks.
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

This sounds like a great book! It sounds like the storyline and the characters are very well developed. I am glad you enjoyed it and I look forward to reading it myself.
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
Ellie Gatillo
Currently Reading:

Post by Ellie Gatillo »

Elle Howard wrote:This sounds like a great book! It sounds like the storyline and the characters are very well developed. I am glad you enjoyed it and I look forward to reading it myself.
Thank you, Elle Howard! It's a really good book. I'm certain you will enjoy it as well.
Kat Berg
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Raven's Peak</a>
Currently Reading: James Baldwin
Bookshelf Size: 223
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kat-berg.html
Latest Review: Why Am I Here by Melvin Bell
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Kat Berg »

Ooooohh! This sounds so good! And I am ready for a non-damsel-in-distress-take-on-the-baddies kind of female character. The way you have set up the book is engaging and draws you in right away. So good! I am putting this on my shelf and moving it on up to the top of the read next line! Thanks for the review :techie-reference:
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

You had my attention as soon as you wrote the title "Bellringer". I like fantasy novels and backed by your nice review, this novel is going in my reading list.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”