The Vampire's Spell: Taken by The Night By Lucy Lyons

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Birdlady1950
Currently Reading: Let's Meet God
Bookshelf Size: 112
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-birdlady1950.html
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

The Vampire's Spell: Taken by The Night By Lucy Lyons

Post by Birdlady1950 »

Book 1

STORY-LINE TAKEN BY THE NIGHT BY LUCY LYONS:

Taken By the Night features Master Vampire Lord Nicholas DeElbrecht, hoards of vampires, vampire hunters, hatred, jealousy, and romance. Caroline watched as her parents were destroyed by a vampire. Taken in and fostered by a family of the Venatores lamiae, she joins the school to learn and hunt vampires. For the Venatores lamiae are vampire hunters. Charlotte has been raised to hate and fear all vampires. The only truth she knows is what the Venatores lamiae have given her.

David and Clay are her brothers of spirit if not blood. As a result, they are always together, competing in lessons; Caroline loves David. Kidnapped by a vampire and taken to the Masters lair, Carolina faces questions. She questions, who's really the villains and who's the hunter in this war. Fascinated with Master Nicholas DeElbrecht, Carolina will also faces the fact she's attracted to the Master. Who's the good guys and who's the villain? Is her heart leading her astray? Why has this war persisted for thousands of years and what are they are hiding? My romance book reviews of Taken By The Night by author Lucy Lyons follows.

CHARACTERS, PLOTTING, DEVELOPMENT:

In Taken By The Night, author Lucy Lyons presents a new take on vampires and vampire hunters. From the first pages of this story, Lyons grabs the reader and does not let go until the finale. Presenting Caroline's character, in the first pages, I found a competitive, strong, determined young woman on the verge of adulthood. Giving her brothers of the spirits on which she could reply for security and care, Lucy Lyons also wove plot lines of love into the story line. However, one of her spirit brothers is holding devastating secrets.

I could not stop reading as I watched Caroline come to terms with the different theologies and opinions of the two groups. As well as, the half-truths she received. As Lyons matured Charlotte, I found a woman torn by emotion and the secrets she found. Caroline must face her desires and come to terms with what she really wants.

"I don't know anything, except what the Venatores want me to. Because of you, now I know that's practically nothing. But you must know so much---"

Nicholas character's multi-leveled. Fascinated with Carolina and her abilities, as Master Vampire, he must keep his perspective. Who could better tell Nicholas of the new world in which he awoke; and who better could tell Caroline the other side of the vampire and hunter equation? As Carolina stated:

"she live on both side of the veil between humanity and the creatures of the night"

Including power struggles within and without, jealousy, half-truths, lies, and an intense emotional love scene, Lyons created a first-class new series. Although an intense love scene includes wording such as: "his hand slid over her breast" or "I felt him grow aroused", this book does not contain erotica, explicit, graphic, or descriptive sex. It's wonderful to read a vampire book which is not a 5+ on the heat scale. I always loved vampire stories, however, I stopped reading and reviewing them because of the graphic sex in August, 2016. In the past, I always hated skipping large portions of the book which included erotica, graphic or explicit sex. Thank you for Lucy Lyons for a series I can enjoy; rating for this book would be very mild on the heat scale.

I found Taken By The Night's a solid well-written book with well-developed characters and a story-line which intrigues and entertains. Lyons' scenes transition smoothly from scene to scene, her writing flows well, and her description of the vampire lair vivid; the footmen, the gowns, the sumptuous surroundings, and beauty; as well as, the stark contrast of the cells. I would not hesitate to buy this book for myself or a friend. Suitable for young adults and adults.

TAKEN BY THE NIGHT RECOMMENDATION: STARS 4

FINALLY, PLEASE NOTE

Additionally, I purchased this book and chose to voluntarily review the book with honest contemporary paranormal romance book reviews. Lastly, book reviews of any novel are dependent on the book review author’s opinion. Consequently, all book reviews on-line and on my blog, are my opinions. In addition, no one influences my voluntary contemporary paranormal romance book reviews.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

I love vampire stories and the different take on them sounds fascinating. I'm sold!
sapphirelizzb
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by sapphirelizzb »

Stories with this kind of twists and turns are enough to keep you on the edge of your seat
rebeccasanchez6

Post by rebeccasanchez6 »

This kind of reminds me of The Vampire Diaries and Teen Wolf, which is really great because I love both of those shows.
Skiporazy

Post by Skiporazy »

Omg..what a great review, i love it, am just speechless about the book, like i am even imaging on someone starting a movie about the book..great work there
Jhamzrex

Post by Jhamzrex »

Vampire story are my favorite.thank u for this unfortunately to read the story for free i love to read books mostly vampire romance 👌
sally athaway

Post by sally athaway »

vampire stories are super awesome and the movies are even better, really wonder sometimes if vampires are real

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”