Official Review: The Witch by K. Stevens

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: The Witch by K. Stevens

Post by Christina O Phillips »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Witch" by K. Stevens.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Not every being on Earth is fully human. There are entire communities that humans do not know about. The Witch by K. Stevens focuses on those others: non-humans such as shifters, elves, and witches who live on Earth unknown to those who are only human. This 106 page urban fantasy book was a quick and interesting read.

The Witch starts in both the beginning and the middle of the action: the main character Julia, a half-elf, has an unpleasant history with Afanasiy, a cult leader who is allegedly doing genetic manipulation experiments. However, readers only hear about their past and Afanasiy’s wrongdoings through Jules’ conversations with others rather than seeing these scenes for themselves. Jules is on a mission: to start a war with Afanasiy, which is the focus of this book, the first in the trilogy. The readers follow Jules while she goes around meeting other non-humans, taking stock of who will be on her side once the war starts.

What made this a good read? Stevens created an interesting world with a mix of non-humans who exist together. I think there is potential for more stories to be set in this world. Besides the war that Julia wants to start, readers see that some of these beings don’t get along with each other, adding to the tension. I also enjoyed the descriptions; they were very detailed and the prose was nicely written. The mystery of the past (what exactly happened between Jules and Afanasiy?) and the looming war of the future kept me reading.

However, there were a few things about the book that did not work for me. First, Jules came across as too strong and without flaws except for her bad attitude. For example, the main character is magically attached to her mother so she is able to pull from her magic as well, thus making her stronger. Second, a lot happens in the 106 pages and it is written in a way that makes the story feels rushed. I understand it is the first in a trilogy and there are two more books, but the pacing and how packed it was did not work for me. At times it felt like this installment was just a rushed set up to get to the next part of the trilogy. I would’ve preferred to have the setup of the war happen more slowly, giving the readers more of a glimpse of how big and bad Afanasiy was rather than just hearing Jules and the other characters talk about it. The backstory was eventually more explained to readers, but I think we should have seen more of it rather than just being told about it.

I rate this book 2 out of 4 stars. The world created by Stevens has potential and the war that Jules is starting should be interesting. I also cannot read the first book in a trilogy and not know how the rest of the story goes, so I will be looking for the next installment, even though I’d prefer to read a prequel though to read about Jules and Afanasiy in more detail. The book, though it felt rushed to me, had a solid storyline and the world in which it was set was very well thought out. For these reasons, I gave it a 2. Other readers may find more enjoyment in the novel than I did.

The Witch
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like Christina O Phillips's review? Post a comment saying so!
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

I think this particular genre has very many books about it, it'd be tricky to produce some good work from it.
Great work
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm sorry this wasn't as good as you expected. It does sound like an interesting story. It just sounds like it needs a little work. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-0719672189.html
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing

Post by 0719672189 »

This is a genre that i wouldn't say i enjoy reading,but thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Heartaches" by H.M. Irwing
Donnavila Marie01
Currently Reading: the one
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-donnavila-marie01.html
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi

Post by Donnavila Marie01 »

The title and the strange characters sound interested. It just unfortunate that this book needs more of details.
Latest Review: "America, It Was Just An Idea" by Dr. Rayna M. Gangi
Zelinda
Favorite Book: The Swallow
Currently Reading: Of Illusions and Inkwells
Bookshelf Size: 689
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zelinda.html
Latest Review: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci by Belle Ami

Post by Zelinda »

Hmmm. I haven't heard the term "urban fantasy" used before. It makes me think that a lot of the action of this book takes place in an urban setting. Since the review does not indicate that this is or is not the case, I guess I'll just have to read the book to find out. I like fantasy a lot, so am inclined to check it out.
“In books I have traveled, not only to other worlds, but into my own.”
― Anna Quindlen, How Reading Changed My Life
DeboraSilva
Currently Reading: The Ask and the Answer
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-deborasilva.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by DeboraSilva »

It's a shame that it seems taht something is "missing", because the plot and characters sounds interesting. It's not something we see everyday. Thank you for the review!
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin

Post by Emie Cuevas »

This storyline reminds of "Hellboy". As such I'd love to read it. Thanks for the great review.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

The squeezing of this story in one book making it feel rushed, may be its weakness. I hope the author can improve on that aspect. Great review.
Elle Howard
Currently Reading: If life stinks get your head outta your buts
Bookshelf Size: 50
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-elle-howard.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
Reading Device: 1400698987

Post by Elle Howard »

The book itself sounds interesting. Hopefully the author will take your suggestions and polish it a little more. Thanks for your review!
Any book that helps a child to form a habit of reading, to make reading one of his deep and continuing needs, is good for him.
–Maya Angelou
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Post by MsTri »

Man, I hate when a story seems rushed. But everything else sounds good, so I still may give it a try.
Ferdinand Wem
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ferdinand Wem »

I wish they could slow down to make the story more interesting rather than the way it is.
blissfulkhaos
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-blissfulkhaos.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by blissfulkhaos »

Knowing that there are more books in the series gives me hope that the pacing issues might me resolved as the series goes on and the author goes. Some times I wish they would go back and rewrite the first book of series as it can turn people off from moving forward.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Ashley Simon
Currently Reading: Zero K
Bookshelf Size: 141
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ashley-simon.html
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin

Post by Ashley Simon »

It's too bad this fell short of your expectations. I think I would have a hard time with that kind of pacing, too. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Bible Answers" by Roseline Gaston Rabouin
Christina O Phillips
Currently Reading: Oz
Bookshelf Size: 1326
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-o-phillips.html
Latest Review: Natural Relief for Anxiety and Stress by Gustavo Kinrys, MD

Post by Christina O Phillips »

Zelinda wrote:Hmmm. I haven't heard the term "urban fantasy" used before. It makes me think that a lot of the action of this book takes place in an urban setting. Since the review does not indicate that this is or is not the case, I guess I'll just have to read the book to find out. I like fantasy a lot, so am inclined to check it out.
You're right: urban fantasy is a fantasy that takes place in an urban setting unlike other fantasy novels like Lord of the Rings which take place in a made-up world. Sorry I did not include the definition in the review.

-- 21 Oct 2017, 09:30 --
Ferdinand Wem wrote:I wish they could slow down to make the story more interesting rather than the way it is.
Me, too.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”