Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Exiles' Escape by W. Clark Boutwell

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: Exiles' Escape by W. Clark Boutwell

Post Number:#1 by micoleon13
» 10 Sep 2017, 13:19

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Exiles' Escape" by W. Clark Boutwell.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by micoleon13
Share This Review

The year is 2129 and America has dissolved into a dystopian society divided into two factions. The Unity is in control of several major cities, providing employment, tracking devices and forced retirement at age 40, while the rest of America is known for its turmoil, killer plants, slavers and Ageplay, a technology used to extend human lifespan. In Exiles’ Escape, Book Two in W. Clark Boutwell’s Old Men and Infidels fantasy series, the story follows Will, Hecate and Malila, as they are brought together trying to escape the oppression of the Unity.

Malila, after her return to the Unity from the outlands of America, is hounded by memories of Jesse, the old man who helped her survive and opened her eyes to a different way of life. Will she ever see him again to apologise for her actions? Jesse is trying to track Malila but finds himself in the middle of an assassination plot. Malila, along with her friend, Hecate, attempt to escape the Unity’s stronghold, running into Will along the way. While Will seems friendly, he’s in Unity under false pretences and has orders to kill Malila. Will he be able to bring himself to carry them out, and will Jesse be able to get to Malila before it’s too late?

Written in third person, the story changes between the different characters, giving detailed overviews from every perspective. The characters each have their own strong personalities, which become apparent in how they face obstacles in their way. While determined to escape, Hecate and Malila show their strength in overcoming the doctrines they’ve been brainwashed with since birth. Will comes across as a likeable character who appears genuinely good hearted. The reader is able to see that while his previous training has tried to ultimately get him to kill, he still hasn’t lost his own sense of right and wrong.

The concepts looked at here were intriguing and not too unrealistic for a futuristic world. With all political upheavals, there is always potential for people to take power for themselves at the cost of others. It also looked at human nature and how, when there are restrictions on food or necessities, people are forced to show their true colours, and trust becomes an unknown concept.

As the second book in the series, there were parts of the story which were difficult to understand, as well as multiple references to Book One. This is not really a stand-alone book and I would highly recommend reading this series in order. There is a summary of Book One in the Appendix, outlining the background of the story which is helpful, however, I only found this after finishing the book.

Unfortunately, in the first half of the book there are multiple punctuation errors which would be picked up with another run through with the editor. There is also a lot going on in this book, and it took me awhile to get immersed in the story. While jumping between the characters is helpful to get to know each one, it can make it confusing for the reader.

This book had a lot of interesting concepts of how a dystopian society would work in a futuristic America, which I enjoyed. However, due to the editorial errors I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. This is for readers who like books which look at futuristic societies and the problems they face, such as Hunger Games, Divergent and The Maze Runner, although I would recommend starting with Book One.

Exiles' Escape
View: on Bookshelves

Like micoleon13's review? Post a comment saying so!
micoleon13's Latest Review: "All of the Rogers" by Erin Lockwood
micoleon13

Currently Reading: Hidden
Bookshelf Size: 65 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Exiles' Escape by W. Clark Boutwell

Post Number:#2 by MarisaRose
» 12 Sep 2017, 14:03

The premise of this one sounds interesting and unique, but I think I'll take your advice and consider reading the first installment before picking up this one.
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading: The Western Star
Bookshelf Size: 168 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 316%

Post Number:#3 by Mercy Bolo
» 12 Sep 2017, 14:45

I always wonder what life will be like in the next century. Thank you for the detailed review.
Mercy Bolo's Latest Review: "Followed my Star" by AR Annahita
Mercy Bolo

Favorite Book: The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 38 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#4 by kandscreeley
» 12 Sep 2017, 15:14

This sounds like a series I would enjoy. I love a good dystopian read. However, I would definitely do as you said and start with book one. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "The Other side:" by Seth Ramey
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Strong Heart
Bookshelf Size: 100 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 82%

Post Number:#5 by Ubyamos
» 12 Sep 2017, 15:41

Nice review!
Thanks for telling me about the summary of the book one in the appendix, if I eventually read the book I'll start from there.
Ubyamos

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 16%

Post Number:#6 by Abayomi2060
» 12 Sep 2017, 16:51

The book sounds like something I would enjoy but the fact that I have to read it in order is discouraging. Great review though.
Abayomi2060's Latest Review: "Veterans Day" by J. J. Jorgens
Abayomi2060

Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 13 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 15 Books
Goal Completion: 33%

Post Number:#7 by geoffrey ngoima
» 13 Sep 2017, 06:01

Sounds like my kind of dystopia, I can manage with the punctuation issues.
Great review

-- 13 Sep 2017, 06:01 --

Sounds like my kind of dystopia, I can manage with the punctuation issues.
Great review
Taste all the love and sorrow, but don't drink the wine.~ "Reign"
geoffrey ngoima's Latest Review: "Farmer Beau's Farm" by Kathleen Geiger
geoffrey ngoima

Currently Reading: God Versus The Idea of God
Bookshelf Size: 72 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#8 by kimmyschemy06
» 16 Sep 2017, 04:15

Sounds like a very interesting book with intriguing characters. Too bad, though, about the errors. Moreover, it seems like I need to read Book 1 first in order to enjoy this part :) Good job on the review.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 335 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 96%