Official Review: Dark Circus: The Astonishing Return

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MsTri
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Miranda Ann Markley
Favorite Book: The Spirit Seeds Book 1
Currently Reading: the Secret of Safe Passage
Bookshelf Size: 1033
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mstri.html
Latest Review: Suddenly Free, Vol. 1 by Yvette Carmon Davis
Reading Device: B07HZHJGY7
fav_author_id: 225682

Official Review: Dark Circus: The Astonishing Return

Post by MsTri »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dark Circus: The Astonishing Return" by Nick Lee.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dark Circus, The Astonishing Return by Nick Lee has an intriguing premise. Three teenagers, each with their own special power, are called upon to face an evil they thought they had vanquished three years ago. In addition to defeating Charlie, the evil clown, they also have to contend with three new students, who display eerily frightening powers of their own.

I was very excited to read this book, as I love horror and supernatural stories, and if they involve clowns, that’s all the better. Unfortunately, Dark Circus failed to live up to its hype. First off, the pace could only be described as “plodding”. The story is only 99 pages long, so there really wasn’t time to spare, yet the tale failed to take advantage of the pages it does have. With a book of this genre, I expect quick-paced, edge-of-your-seat action, but this story didn’t deliver it. I never had even one hair stand up on my head, let alone any goosebumps. The “Astonishing Return” that the book promises wasn’t astonishing, either.

Character development was also lacking. As a fan of The X-Men and The Avengers, I was really interested in characters who could work magic, change form, and speak with animals, but the Master Magician, Master Freak, and Master Tamer, respectively, didn’t have many opportunities to display their gifts. The author did take her time introducing the three main characters, going so far as to give their full names, but they never became more than two-dimensional figures, and it was difficult for me to care what happened to them. I also didn’t care too much for the supporting characters, though I did perk up when Charlie was on the page, as he spoke in rhyme, which I did like.

I was also a little lost on the characters’ past. While I didn’t expect the author to give a full accounting of previous events, I would have appreciated more information on things that were relevant to this story. There were too many times that I found myself thinking, “Oooh, that sounds interesting. I wish I knew more about that.” While I realize this’ the second book in the series, I still think the author could have done a better job of filling in the gaps, such that this book could be read on its own.

Lastly, I don’t think the book was thoroughly edited. There were words missing, extra words, repeated phrases, and many syntax errors. One sentence, “Daniel and the others could see that in that direction was Karl’s orange and black Dodge Challenger was in that direction, ready to take them away”, shows the lack of attention-to-detail, as parts were repeated within the same sentence, thereby throwing off the flow. I also felt the author was trying too hard to use synonyms in certain areas. For instance, in one brief conversation, she may use “said”, “spoke”, “questioned”, and “articulated”, which also damaged the smoothness of the reading.

I had such high hopes for this story, so it is with a heavy heart that I must rate this book 1 out of 4 stars, for all the reasons listed above.

Dark Circus: The Astonishing Return
View: on Bookshelves

Like MsTri's review? Post a comment saying so!
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

I happen to have an irrational fear of clowns, even for my age. Despite this, I still enjoy a good scare. Going by your review I need not be bothered with this one. Great review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

That's too bad. I'm sorry this one was a flop for you. I hope your next one is better! Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Oh, man, how disappointing for a supernatural!
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

it's too bad the book didn't live up to your expectations. Thanks for the review.
Manang Muyang
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

It wasn't dark. It wasn't astonishing. At least it was about a circus that returned.

Hi, MsTri! It seems there's a lack of mstri in this one.
Sabina G
Currently Reading: The Scarpetta Factor
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sabina-g.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Sabina G »

It's so sad that this book couldn't mean a page-turner to you. Anyways, I don't think this book would be my cup of tea, I don't like clowns :cry2:
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds very promising. I love the concept of three teenagers with special gifts. Too bad, though, about the overall execution of the book. Good job on the review.
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Too bad there. The author would definitely need to improve on subsequent editions. Thanks for a good honest review.
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

@juliusotinyo, @walkingfreckle, I take it neither of you will be seeing the new Stephen King movie, It? I hope to see it (*lol*) soon, as the previous version was ok and I hope this one's even better.

But, no; there were zero scares in this one. By the time for the climax of the story, I really wasn't even interested anymore, and was just ready to be done.

Ha ha haaaaaaaaaa, @Miriam Molina! I love great puns. And nope, zero mystery or mstri.
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

MsTri,
There's a new It movie!? I believe the initial movie may as well started my phobia. I remember I used to be asthmatic at the time, and there's the shower scene with the a kid of a similar affliction. My big brother forced me to watch, I've never forgotten that scene.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I was curious why you said the inclusion of clowns made it better. I don't see that clowns have a place anywhere, and in horror stories even less.

Thanks for letting me know how bad this book is. I too love seemingly magical powers so would have been equally disappointed with this book.

Great review.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
erjonas
Currently Reading: Inferno
Bookshelf Size: 36
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-erjonas.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by erjonas »

I was sad to see the text after the introduction. Not because the review was bad (edit: please let me specify that this is me awkwardly trying to phrase that I thought your review was excellent), but because the introduction of the book made it sound so promising.

From your description, it sounds like a book for you ger readers. I am guessing that you would have disliked it if you read it when you were younger as well, but I am still curious as to what you think you would have said as a young teenager reading this book?
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
MsTri

Post by MsTri »

@juliusotinyo, Yep, there IS a new It movie; I still haven't seen it yet, but I shall! And I could certainly see how that scene would freak you out, being an asthmatic, yourself. I'm sorry.

@Emie Cuevas, I just meant that I love clowns, so I thought having one in the story would make it even better. Boy, was I wrong.

@erjonas, Hmmmm...That's really hard to say, as I grew up on Freddy Krueger and Jason and so on, so even back then, my expectations were pretty high, so I imagine I still would have thought it pretty lame.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”