Official Review: Identity by Samuel Alexander

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Identity by Samuel Alexander

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Identity" by Samuel Alexander.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Identity by Samuel Alexander is the second in a sci-fi / fantasy series. The first book, “Revelations”, ends with the two main characters having to set out on a quest. At the start of this book, no mention is made to anything that happened in the first book. Instead, the book starts by introducing the main characters of the new story.

After the introductions, there is a meeting of all the main characters with the seer. As part of the meeting Tilal, an eleven year old student, uses her power of dream weaving for the first time. She interprets the dreams of some of the others and then tells the seer what she has learned. The seer combines this knowledge with her gift and gives instructions to the whole group on what they should do next.

The group consists of Shilani (a teacher from the school), Cherann (a travelling magician), Dent (Cheranns sister) and three school children, Tilal, Janon and Drak. This group has to go on a journey. The end of which will lead to the death of the rulers of the land, and a coup to take over the alliance. They journey to visit the parents of the school children, to tell them what is going on. Along the way, Dent and the three children are instructed by Shilani and Cherann on how to use their own powers. After informing the parents of the situation, they are recruited to help with the upcoming rebellion. The group then travels to the Elvish kingdom where they remain until it’s time.

The author has a flowing style of writing which is easy to follow, even when the plot and subplots become complicated. He has an unusual way of naming chapters; each one is the name of the character most prominent in that chapter, along with a number to differentiate between them. My one complaint about the book, is in places he skips ahead in time, without giving any warning! In one particular chapter he skipped ahead nine years. I was thinking “what is going on here”, as all the kids were now involved in having sex. It was several pages into this new time before has casually mentions the time difference. This is very confusing, but if you keep reading long enough, it does make sense again.

The action scenes are very vivid, and I had to duck several times as a blow came the way of the main character. The characters are all well portrayed and easily identified with. Though I do think they are all far to stoic to be true. They can all endure injuries without complaint, which would leave me screaming for morphine. One or two people I wouldn’t have said anything, but all of them seems too unreal.

The book appears to have been fairly well edited, though there is the same kind of errors that appeared in the first book of the series. A few words are in the wrong tense, and sometimes the wrong word is used. There are not many of these, and the flow of the story is not unduly affected. I rate this book as 4 out of 4 stars. As this book contains only one character that appears in the first book, it could be read without reading the first book. However, the description of the peoples of the land was mostly in the first book so I would recommend reading it first. This book will appeal to anybody that likes either fantasy books, or books that contain a lot of magic. I can’t wait to read the next in the series.

Identity
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very nice review. The book sounds interesting.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm glad you liked this one so much. It does sound like an interesting concept. I'll look into it further. Thanks.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Whaat? I think I misread the s__ part after the abrupt skipping of 9 years, but anything for magic and some action.
I am feeling the review
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:

Post by Emie Cuevas »

The Researcher wrote:Very nice review. The book sounds interesting.
The book was brilliant, I'd recommend it to anyone. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

-- 11 Sep 2017, 18:27 --
geoffrey ngoima wrote:Whaat? I think I misread the s__ part after the abrupt skipping of 9 years, but anything for magic and some action.
I am feeling the review
No you didn't misread it. If you have read the first book in the series, you would know that the Atorothian people are gifted in all areas of sex and have no inhibitions as far as I can tell. So this subject crops up an awful lot in his writings.

-- 11 Sep 2017, 18:28 --
kandscreeley wrote:I'm glad you liked this one so much. It does sound like an interesting concept. I'll look into it further. Thanks.
I have really enjoyed reading both of the first two in the series, I really want to know what will happen next so can't wait for the next book in the series.
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Abayomi2060
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abayomi2060.html
Latest Review: Twisted Threads by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Abayomi2060 »

Nice review. I Wouldn't read the book soon anyway
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

Thanks for the review. Some books just seem you need to read them to understand other perspectives you still not aware of.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Gifted in all areas of sex and with no inhibitions!

Sounds like this book (and series) is not one I'd be rushing to read.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:

Post by Emie Cuevas »

Miriam Molina wrote:Gifted in all areas of sex and with no inhibitions!

That is only the Atorathians, there are other races that are just as repressed as we are.
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Emie Cuevas wrote:
Miriam Molina wrote:Gifted in all areas of sex and with no inhibitions!

That is only the Atorathians, there are other races that are just as repressed as we are.
You are funny, Emie! BTW, how did you guess I was repressed? Now, I'm depressed! LOL

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”