Official Review: The Last Days of Magic by Mark Tompkins

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
katiesquilts
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: A Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 649
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-katiesquilts.html
Latest Review: Anything For Love by Gracie Bond

Official Review: The Last Days of Magic by Mark Tompkins

Post by katiesquilts »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last Days of Magic" by Mark Tompkins.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Why have magic users ceased to exist in modern times? What happened to all the magic that used to be so prevalent all around the world? Mark Tompkins’ The Last Days of Magic is a fantasy novel that details these worldly changes, and to do so it takes the reader back centuries to a time when magic users and humans co-existed.

The Last Days of Magic mostly takes place in medieval Ireland, where many faerie families are ruled by a Goddess who takes three forms, always being reborn through twins and keeping one part of the spirit in the Middle Kingdom. Aisling and her twin, Anya, are the latest reincarnations of this Goddess and are going through training in order to one day rule over the faeries. However, one sect of faeries plans on rebelling, and launches an attempt to assassinate the girls. With the Goddess’ powers weakened and forces fighting them from both inside Ireland and from overseas, will they be able to protect the land of magic they call their home?

Tompkins certainly put a lot of time and effort into fleshing out his characters. The story itself is full of action, betrayal, and mysterious magic, but the characters carried the novel’s success on their shoulders. Even the exorcists from Rome and the witches in France were hard to hate, despite threatening Aisling’s leadership. My favorite character by far was Jordan, an exorcist with some magic of his own. The contradictions Jordan embodied and the tough decisions he had to make were always interesting, because I could never tell whether he would sympathize with his fellow magic users or ruthlessly cut them down in the name of the church.

Unfortunately, there were quite a few characters in the novel, and many of them had similar names. I personally felt like it was hard to keep track of some of the minor characters who ended up filling large roles later in the novel. Not only that, but there was a lot of dialogue in the novel, which slowed down the pace and made me put the book down quite a few times. I admire Tompkins’ story-telling skills, but he certainly crammed a lot of information into a single page.

Overall, I would rate The Last Days of Magic 4 out of 4 stars. The characters delighted me and I enjoyed getting a peek into a world full of magic and political turmoil. I would definitely recommend this book to fantasy and historical fiction fans, especially those with an interest in European history. There were a few violent and sexual scenes in the novel, so I would not recommend it to minors. The sequel to this novel was nicely set up, and it may or may not take place in modern times.

The Last Days of Magic
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like katiesquilts's review? Post a comment saying so!
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I love tales about magic and always wished it was still around. I want to know what happened to make it disappear, and this book looks like the place to find out. Excellent review, thanks for the insight. I look forward to reading this one.
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Who doesn't love magical stories? I am definitely going to read this book. Nice review!
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like quite an interesting book. I do love magic and faeries! It's too bad there are so many characters, but it doesn't sound like it detracted from the story too much. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Gingerbo0ks
Currently Reading: All the Crooked Saints
Bookshelf Size: 168
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gingerbo0ks.html
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon

Post by Gingerbo0ks »

I love anything with magic in!!! Hopefully the dialogue doesn't slow the pace down too much that it lessens the enjoyment.
"One must always be careful of books, and what is inside them, for words have the power to change us.”
― Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel
Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Jordan looks like a well fleshed out character I'd like to see,..always up for a book of magic
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

I tend to agree that it can sometimes be difficult when there are a large number of characters.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
imi_30
Currently Reading: The Thread
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-imi-30.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by imi_30 »

i love magical stories
thank you dear
add to my TBR :)
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
juliusotinyo
Bookshelf Size: 49
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliusotinyo.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by juliusotinyo »

Emie Cuevas wrote:I love tales about magic and always wished it was still around. I want to know what happened to make it disappear, and this book looks like the place to find out. Excellent review, thanks for the insight. I look forward to reading this one.
I am curious as well as to what happened to all the magic that once existed in all communities and continents. This is a really good review.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a great read. I love it already. It seems like there are a lot of characters to like in this book. Basically, I like books about magic and I think I'm going to enjoy it. Great job on the review. Congratulations to Mark Tompkins on such an obviously well written book.
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

Thank you for the kind words everyone! If you get around to reading the book, please let me know what you thought in this thread or post a link to your own review!
geoffrey ngoima

To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
katiesquilts

Post by katiesquilts »

Those links are not for The Last Days of Magic, they're for other books! Do you have a link for this book specifically?
geoffrey ngoima

katiesquilts wrote:
Those links are not for The Last Days of Magic, they're for other books! Do you have a link for this book specifically?
Lol, you're the only one who has ever reviewed it in OBC
eelavahs-jay
Currently Reading: Island of the Gods
Bookshelf Size: 19
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eelavahs-jay.html
Latest Review: Marrying a Playboy Billionaire by H M Irwing

Post by eelavahs-jay »

This sounds like an interesting novel, I think I might give it a try.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”