Official Review: Marley's Mothers by Billie Greene

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Anki_Real_Reviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 55282">The Palace of Illusions</a>
Currently Reading: 2 books same content: You'll Do Anything for Him. You'll Do Anything for Her
Bookshelf Size: 82
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anki-real-reviews.html
Latest Review: The Engine Woman's Light by Laurel Anne Hill
Reading Device: B00LHLASDU

Official Review: Marley's Mothers by Billie Greene

Post by Anki_Real_Reviews »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Marley's Mothers" by Billie Greene.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Marley's Mothers by Billie Greene is a story of two ladies: Roxanne and Carolann. The first half of the book is dedicated to the life of Roxanne and the second part brings Carolann and her family into the picture. Roxanne is a teenager whose parents are very strict. She is not allowed to talk to boys. She must wear proper clothes (i.e. the clothes that are approved by her parents). She follows their rules until the day she meets a handsome man named Solomon. He is instantly smitten by Roxanne. Roxanne, too, finds him extremely mysterious and attractive. Of course, her parents try to "talk sense" into her but this time Roxanne does not yield. She moves in with Solomon and starts her life with him.

Carolann is an only child. Her mother, Ruth, loves and pampers her all the time. However, Ruth's personality has its flaws. Her temperament knows no bounds. When she gets angry, the hell breaks loose. Carolann gets whatever she asks (or not) of Ruth, but Ruth's fits of anger push Carolann's boundaries all the time. While Ruth is busy showering her only child with love and affection, her husband (Al) is getting frustrated with the money problems. Al does not care much about Carolann; however, he is afraid to voice his opinion out loud because of Ruth. To be frank, his opinions are generally sexist, and I was glad that Ruth kept him in check. The story takes an interesting turn when the paths of Carolann and Roxanne cross.

The plot of the story and the storytelling ability of the author are incredible. There are so many elements working in this book that the plot never gets boring. The story develops beautifully and there is no rush anywhere -- except, perhaps, in the last chapter. Without giving away a spoiler, I would mention that the revelation that I had been waiting for so long did not happen as dramatically as it should have. This revelation deserved more excitement than the author offered. It left me longing for more. There are a few wrong sentences here and there, but these did not take away the pleasure of reading this well-written story.

The author has subtly included his opinion against "blame the victim" policy of the society in Carolann's dialogues. His views are really praiseworthy. This is not the only issue that he has discussed through the dialogues of the characters; there are many others. The inclusion of his views in this manner is a clever strategy. It really enhanced the overall quality of the material. I liked the character of Carolann a lot. She stands her ground and believes in herself. She does not bend as per her rich boyfriend's needs. The author has portrayed a realistic image of a strong girl by defining Carolann.

The development of the story never gets monotonous. There are many twists to keep the pleasure of reading Marley's Mothers alive. The conversations flow smoothly. The author knows his characters very well, and their dialogues show the connection that they have with the author. For instance, what a teenage girl might be feeling while planning to have sex for the very first time is perfectly reflected in Roxanne's thoughts. Her fear of "farting" in the middle of it was hilarious.

This book is a perfect combination of humor, grief, joy, and revenge. I believe that there is something for every reader in it. If it weren't for occasional incorrect sentences and unsatisfactory revelation of the most awaited secret, I would have rated it 4 on 4. However, due to these reasons, I would rate it 3 out of 4 stars.

Marley's Mothers
View: on Bookshelves

Like Anki_Real_Reviews's review? Post a comment saying so!
"A great book should leave you with many experiences, and slightly exhausted at the end. You live several lives while reading." ~William Styron
Marissa Michael
Currently Reading: Carrie
Bookshelf Size: 585
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marissa-michael.html
Latest Review: Heartaches 3 by H.M. Irwing
2024 Reading Goal: 5
2024 Goal Completion: 60%

Post by Marissa Michael »

This is the kind of book that I would like to put to my TBR list. Thank you for your review.
"Read in order to live." ~Gustave Flaubert
"Fiction reveals truths that reality obscures." ~Ralph Waldo Emerson
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I'm kind of uncertain how this is a science fiction book from what you describe. Nevertheless, it sounds like an interesting story. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Sahani Nimandra
Favorite Book: Harry Potter and The Sorceress Stone
Currently Reading: Man of the World
Bookshelf Size: 698
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-sahani-nimandra.html
Latest Review: I once had a Farm in Ireland by Siggy Buckley
Reading Device: Huawei

Post by Sahani Nimandra »

Two characters of two upbringing been lead to a path that they will cross in life which will have something to say. In our life we meet people for reason, some to give a message, some saviours, some to just ruin the life. The characters personality sounds very intresting, actually I personaly would like to look at this book. Good review!
The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid! - Jane Austen :techie-studyingbrown:
krissywade12
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by krissywade12 »

Sounds very interesting like an everyday srruggle that they are trying to get through
Jtminor5
Currently Reading: Twisted Threads
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jtminor5.html
Latest Review: Raven's Peak by Lincoln Cole

Post by Jtminor5 »

There is a common phrase that comes to mind, "Don't judge a book by its cover". And I am guilty of that in some cases. Typically, I analyze the cover artistry, the title's ability to catch my eye in a glance, and lastly, can the summarization intrigue my senses. Then, I am an extreme fan of mystery/horror. Also, I love romance that's combined with mystery/thriller. I must say, with this book, my first 2 analysis failed, and it doesn't fall into my choice of genre. But, after reading this review, I am looking forward to reading this book. Thank you.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”