Official Review: Thumar by M. Timothy Murray

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Thumar by M. Timothy Murray

Post by Emie Cuevas »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Thumar" by M. Timothy Murray.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Thumar by M. Timothy Murray is a sci-fi romance novel set a few hundred years in the future. The story opens with the AS Armstrong standing watch, as the alliance builds a listening post in the neutral zone near Terelian space. Suddenly they detect five Terelian cruisers closing. Captain Arnold, being an experienced captain, has faced these kinds of odds before and is not too worried. As they draw closer, the Keks insignia can be seen on the bows of the cruisers. The battle erupts and it soon becomes evident that these are not standard Terelian cruisers. After a brief fight where several of the cruisers were destroyed, the AS Armstrong escapes into hyperspace badly damaged.

The AS Armstrong makes it to the space dock above the planet Thumar. They report in to the alliance and a battle fleet is dispatched immediately to assist. Derak is the relatively new alliance liaison to the planet. He is informed immediately the AS Armstrong docks and is none too thrilled when he finds out who the leader of the coming battle fleet is. Having to report these happenings to the government brings us into contact with the culture of Thumar for the first time. In this process he comes into contact with Shesian, a beautiful voluptuous woman who is the niece of the president.

Derak and Shesian fall in love, and get engaged. This takes us deeper into the culture of the planet. As part of the engagement process the couple has to be medically examined. This reveals something very surprising about Derak! Then the unthinkable happens, the Orion Syndicate deploys a weapon that will wipe out the whole Thumarian solar system. Can anything be done?

I found this a very enjoyable and easy book to read. M. Timothy Murray describes people and places in a way that brings them to life in the imagination. I could travel to Thumar and from his descriptions of the life there, fit right in. The festivals and the clothing worn at them were amazing and I was thrilled to be invited to participate in them.

I did find the lack of progress in the subplots to be annoying. The Terelians attacked the alliance and the Orion Syndicate set of the ultimate weapon! That was it for both parties; nothing was heard from them again. The whole story takes place over ten months, plenty of time for other things to happen. As I kept reading I expected them to appear and make themselves known in other ways, but I was disappointed.

The book appears to be well edited with only a few formatting issues noted. These could be due to the eBook format and didn’t really disturb the flow of the book. The chapter titles are very informative of what is happening in the story and could easily be used to go back and reread something if you needed clarification. Because of the lack of subplot development that I felt the book was missing I can only give this book 3 out of 4 stars. I think this book would appeal to anyone who likes romance novels, but due to the sexual content I think it would be unsuitable for a younger audience.

Thumar
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like Emie Cuevas's review? Post a comment saying so!
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! You make this book sound quite intriguing! I might have to try this one. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Ah, the suspense! You're killing me with it!
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Latest Review: "The Little Girl Inside Owning My Role in My Own Pain" by Tonya Barbee
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I like futuristic novels that employ something of the present, so the romance aspect is welcome. The plot is also engaging. I enjoyed reading your review, thanks.
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:

Post by Emie Cuevas »

kandscreeley wrote:Wow! You make this book sound quite intriguing! I might have to try this one. Thanks for the review.
Very intriguing, let me know what you think

-- 07 Sep 2017, 18:40 --
Quinto wrote:I like futuristic novels that employ something of the present, so the romance aspect is welcome. The plot is also engaging. I enjoyed reading your review, thanks.
We all need more romance in our lives. Well I do anyway :lol:

-- 07 Sep 2017, 18:41 --
geoffrey ngoima wrote:Ah, the suspense! You're killing me with it!
I can't have that! What happens is.....
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
geoffrey ngoima
Bookshelf Size: 110
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-geoffrey-ngoima.html
Reading Device: B00UB76290

Post by geoffrey ngoima »

Emie Cuevas wrote:
kandscreeley wrote:Wow! You make this book sound quite intriguing! I might have to try this one. Thanks for the review.
Very intriguing, let me know what you think

-- 07 Sep 2017, 18:40 --
Quinto wrote:I like futuristic novels that employ something of the present, so the romance aspect is welcome. The plot is also engaging. I enjoyed reading your review, thanks.
We all need more romance in our lives. Well I do anyway :lol:

-- 07 Sep 2017, 18:41 --
geoffrey ngoima wrote:Ah, the suspense! You're killing me with it!
I can't have that! What happens is.....
Haha, that's pure evil
To posit that the war brings us closer to faith is a sleight of hand that makes fools of us all. "There Are Only Atheists in Fox Holes"~ Michael Carson
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Oh my! A lot of new worlds to conquer, so little time to do it.

Thanks for adding to the pressure, Emie! LOL
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:

Post by Emie Cuevas »

Miriam Molina wrote:Oh my! A lot of new worlds to conquer, so little time to do it.

Thanks for adding to the pressure, Emie! LOL
There are several other planets that I failed to mention, shall I send you a list?
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
Zohaib imtiaz
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zohaib-imtiaz.html
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Post by Zohaib imtiaz »

Too much suspense...... Intriguing
Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”