Review of The Tyranny of Tomorrow

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Zanne Crystle
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Book: Rules of Redemption (The Firebird Chronicles Book 1)
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zanne-crystle.html
Latest Review: The Support Staff at Your School by Andrew C. Kirkpatrick

Review of The Tyranny of Tomorrow

Post by Zanne Crystle »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Tyranny of Tomorrow" by Magda Mizzi.]
Book Cover
4 out of 5 stars
Share This Review

The Tyranny of Tomorrow: Book 1 by Magda Mizzi is a dystopian-themed science fiction novel that takes you on a thrilling journey through a world turned upside down by a fast-spreading virus.

The story centers around two teenagers, Madeline and Michael, who find themselves in precarious and life-threatening situations as they try to evade the virus. In their pursuit of safety, they are forced to make tough decisions beyond their years. The story is set in various locations across Sydney, Australia, and depicts a vivid image of a dystopian landscape marked by enforced lockdowns, quarantine, societal collapse, and violent behavior among infected individuals.

I enjoyed how the two main characters, Madeline and Michael, were portrayed in the book. Despite their young age, they showed remarkable maturity while dealing with challenges that no one should have to face. Madeline was a timid but resilient character who was driven by the need to discover her identity and protect those she cared for. Michael, on the other hand, was depicted as a courageous and empathetic character who felt a strong sense of responsibility towards his family and friends. Throughout the book, their emotional states go through several complex turns, ranging from fear, guilt, regret, determination, resentment, sadness, love, camaraderie, and loneliness, all while battling immense danger and struggling to survive.

The book is action-packed and intense from the very start, with the action rarely letting up. The quieter moments are well-written and provide a much-needed respite from the relentless pace of the story. All the characters in the story are likable, relatable, and well-developed. They each have a purpose and add to the story in some way.

Although the book features teenage protagonists, it appears to be intended for mature readers because it contains explicit language and violent scenes. While the use of the f-word is obscured with asterisks, the book portrays many chaotic and violent situations that could be unsuitable for more sensitive readers.

The book has great writing and an engaging storyline; however, it contains many grammatical errors, which suggest that it was not professionally edited. To improve the reading experience, I recommend that the author hire a professional editor to improve the writing.

Of course, this is the first book in the series, so the entire story is not resolved at the end, but it has a satisfactory ending that leaves you excited about the next book.

Overall, The Tyranny of Tomorrow: Book 1 is an enthralling and action-packed novel, perfect for readers who enjoy dystopian science fiction and virus outbreak narratives. The book offers a gripping plot, well-developed characters, a vivid setting, and intense action scenes that keep you entertained. Additionally, the emotional depth of the story and relatable characters make it even more engaging. The only drawback I noticed was the lack of proper editing, which is why I rate it 4 out of 5 stars.

If you’re a fan of science fiction or enjoy watching TV shows and movies about virus outbreaks, I highly recommend this book.

The Tyranny of Tomorrow
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon
Ifeanyi Nwokike
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 13

Post by Ifeanyi Nwokike »

Interesting piece. The book serves as a tool of perseverance, tenacity and resilience for teenagers to act strong when faced with challenging situations.
I encourage teenagers to pick the book and make it their companion.
Thanks!
NetMassimo
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading: The Night Land
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-netmassimo.html
Latest Review: The Ripsons by Joe Morrow
2024 Reading Goal: 60
2024 Goal Completion: 48%

Post by NetMassimo »

I'm not sure I'm ready to read a dystopic story about a virus outbreak right now but this one seems well-constructed. Despite having teenage protagonists, it's suitable for older readers, so I might give it a try when I feel like it and look for sequels. Thank you for your great review!
Ciao :)
Massimo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”