Official Review: The Elf Accord - Book Four of the Magi C...

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: The Elf Accord - Book Four of the Magi C...

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Elf Accord - Book Four of the Magi Charter" by Jordan David.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

I have read a lot in my lifetime. I have always enjoyed reading. When I was young, it started with The Berenstain Bears and went on to Encyclopedia Brown. After that, it was pretty much anything and everything I could get my hands on from Stephen King to Madeleine L'Engle. Never before, though, have I read a series such as this one. This book almost left me speechless.

The Elf Accord is book four in the Magi Charter series by Jordan David. This series of books all focus on the North Pole, Santa and the Elves. Having read the three previous books, I thought I was ready for this one... I was wrong.

In this book, we are introduced to Santa Leopold. The year is 1180. Santa Leopold resides in Austria and with his workers makes toys to give the children nearby for Christmas. This is his mission which he has taken over from the previous Santa, Johann. One of his advisors – a Lady Serapha – has told him that it is time for him to leave this place. She won't tell him exactly where they must go, only that it is far north. Santa Leopold is not happy. His mission will be disrupted if they all travel for months on end. How will he get the toys to the children? Where exactly is it that Lady Serapha is leading them? Will this be the year that the mission (which has been around since the very first Christmas) fails?

The first and second books are really an introduction to the world of the North Pole. There is magic, mystery, and reindeer fun. The third book takes a turn towards the mystery/thriller genre. Mr. David does a great job in moving from a cutesy series to a tale filled with suspense and mystery. With the fourth book, Mr. David takes yet another turn – this time to the historical fiction genre.

The characters are realistic. Some you will fall in love with. Some you will wish would stop complaining. Not only that, but since this takes place in the 12th century, you will even get a glimpse of some historical characters. For example, Santa Leopold happens to come across Queen Eleanor (luckily her husband, King Henry, is off fighting another battle at the time.) I was amazed with how seamlessly the author wove in figures from history with the characters from the book.

The pace of the book is somewhat slower but in no way boring. There are moments of action sprinkled here and there throughout the book. However, the plot is more focused on the treacherous journey to get wherever it is they are going. Think of this book like the tales of the wagon trails out west when the settlers were moving there from the East Coast of the United States. It is still a fascinating story made even better by the unique characters encountered along the way.

As in the previous books, there were errors here and there as far as the usage of words. We see one word substituted for another one quite often (since instead of sense.) These really are minimal, though, and did not distract from the story.

I just continue to be amazed by Mr. David. I am in awe of his writing. This series has it all; I've never seen an author that is so versatile. To start with a cutesy story, then go to a thrilling suspense and then round it off with a historical fiction? I really don't know how he does it. Despite the minor spelling errors, I must give The Elf Accord 4 out of 4 stars. The characters are realistic, the plot keeps you interested, and the book comes to a climax at just the right time. Seriously, if you haven't started this series, now is the time. I urge you to pick up the first book The Elf Brief. Don't stop there, though. You absolutely MUST read the whole series. Job well done, Mr. David.

The Elf Accord - Book Four of the Magi Charter
View: on Bookshelves

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Wow, what a glowing review! Congratulations to the author for a job well done!!! I'm looking forward to starting this series, kicking myself now for not having picked it up earlier - 'cause it sounds amazing! Thank you for the well-written review.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks ritah... I just don't even know how he does it. It really is wonderful!
—Neil Gaiman
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Juliet Esther »

Amazing review, the book really seems interesting. I haven't read any of the series but thanks to your review I'm willing to check all of them out, it seems like this is the best though.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Juliet! I don't know that I would say this one was the best. They are all so different it's hard to compare. I liked three a lot too!
—Neil Gaiman
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

This must be really good for you to gush about it, Kandscreely! I MUST start reading book 1. By the way, has Rudolf made his appearance yet?
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

I just realised I was excited like a little child while reading your review. I am bouncing off the walls right now! This read sounds extremely enjoyable! Thanks for the review!
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Miriam Molina wrote:This must be really good for you to gush about it, Kandscreely! I MUST start reading book 1. By the way, has Rudolf made his appearance yet?
Not Rudolph, however, in this book you'll start to see why the classic line up (Dasher, Dancer, Prancer, Vixen, etc...)

-- 24 Aug 2017, 07:22 --
Athena Moon wrote:I just realised I was excited like a little child while reading your review. I am bouncing off the walls right now! This read sounds extremely enjoyable! Thanks for the review!
Thanks Athena! It's not often there's a series like this about Santa for grown ups, but this is it!
—Neil Gaiman
Czarmaine AM
Bookshelf Size: 44
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-czarmaine-am.html
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar

Post by Czarmaine AM »

Wow. Jordan David sounds like a really talented man! Thank you for sharing this. I'm looking forward now reading his works. Cheers!
"Though my soul may set in darkness, it will rise in perfect light;
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night."
(The Old Astronomer to His Pupil by Sarah Williams)
Latest Review: "Border Post 99" by Kedar Patankar
Marylynn
Bookshelf Size: 24
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marylynn.html
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles

Post by Marylynn »

Great job for the review. Seems like you greatly enjoyed reading the book and hope i too will.
Latest Review: "McDowell" by William H. Coles
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Czarmaine! I've just never seen an author that's so adept at different genres like that.

I hope you do enjoy Marylynn!
—Neil Gaiman
Darakhshan Nazir
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-darakhshan-nazir.html
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren

Post by Darakhshan Nazir »

This is just wow ❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤
I would love to read this novel
Do Read And Comment On My Latest Review!!
Latest Review: "Twisted Threads" by Kaylin McFarren
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks darakshan! I hope you do read and enjoy.
—Neil Gaiman
Emie Cuevas
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 107
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-emie-cuevas.html
Latest Review: Trumpism: A Cultural Psycho-Genesis by Michel Valentin
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Emie Cuevas »

I've read the first two and was enthralled. I can't wait to start this. Have to read book 3 first though
Whether you Think you can,
or you Think you can't,
You are Right

Napoleon Hill
ReviewerDiksha
Currently Reading: The Katharina Code
Bookshelf Size: 151
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-reviewerdiksha.html
Latest Review: A Brighter Tomorrow by Lori Schneider, MD

Post by ReviewerDiksha »

Wow, this sounds amazing. I had my doubts about this series, because the elf and santa thing didn't seem serious enough to me. But after this review, I may check out this series afterall.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”