Official Review: Flash Point (Elemental Trials, Book 2)

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Official Review: Flash Point (Elemental Trials, Book 2)

Post by Afuglsan »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Flash Point (Elemental Trials, Book 2)" by Ronelle Antoinette.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Flash Point (Elemental Trials, #2) by Ronelle Antoinette is a Fantasy novel with elements of the supernatural and magic. This book is full of demons, mages and scheming royals.

This is the second novel in the Elemental Trials series, where readers are reconnected to the main protagonists from the first, Enari and Jex. Enari, in training to become a mage, has successfully completed her Accession and is given the title as Adept. Readers are taken on a journey from the mages’ keep at the Tower into the heart of Rowan where the royal family resides. We follow Enari and Jex’s adventure at the palace complete with demons, love, babies and heartbreak. We watch as Enari struggles to unravel the mysteries of old deaths, new demons and those that are calling upon the Maelstrom. Jex struggles in the attempt to call peace between themselves and the sovereign kingdom, the Atromorese. All-the-while, the author guides readers through the mysteries of Enari’s birth and magical abilities. The plot may be slow rolling at times, but it is full of unexpected turns.

The beginning of the book started out really well. The author uses amazing description to really make you feel like you’re present in the novel. Antoinette also uses wonderful vocabulary with many words that are large and obscure, but the author uses them correctly to enhance the story verses to show off that she knows how to use a thesaurus. This being said, I feel as though at times the book progressed slowly, and there wasn’t a lot of action scenes. I felt that the author’s writing helped mitigate how boring the novel would be otherwise.

The characters are all nicely developed. We have two main protagonists, but we are introduced to several other minor characters throughout the novel. From what I gathered, most of them were also in the first book. The author creates a strong connection between the characters and the readers. Although I didn’t find the fight scenes to be epic, I certainly cried when there was heartbreak amongst the characters.

I started to dislike the book towards the end. This is, again, not because of the style of writing, which remained impeccable, but because I didn’t like the direction the author was taking. I felt at this point, she was trying to write something more out of Game of Thrones. I was disappointed in the conclusion of the novel. I felt pretty lost as to what was happening, and things weren’t wrapped up nicely, nor were readers left with a thrilling cliffhanger. I also felt lost throughout times of the novel due to this being the second in the series. The author also is fairly creative in her world; she has various cultures that speak different languages. However, this was confusing at times, too. Generally, I was able to figure it out, but even after referencing the glossary provided, I was still confused about some concepts.

This is a book that contains sexual scenes. They aren’t overly graphic, but they are present throughout the novel. There are also parts that borderline on gory, but again, not overly graphic. These are all things to consider when choosing to read this novel.

Overall, the novel was really well written, but based on my confusion at times and my overall dislike for the direction the novel was going, I rate this a 2 out of 4 stars. I may read the first novel just to fill in a few blanks, but I’m not sure that I will continue the series. If you enjoy reading about magic, demons, romance and political relations with sovereign nations, you may want to consider reading this series.

Flash Point (Elemental Trials, Book 2)
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Afuglsan's review? Post a comment saying so!
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

I'm sorry that your bliss was short-lived and it did seem that the book was interesting.Anyways, thanks for the review.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, this sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like it is executed really well. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Afuglsan

Post by Afuglsan »

LadyClaire wrote:I'm sorry that your bliss was short-lived and it did seem that the book was interesting.Anyways, thanks for the review.
Thank you, LadyClaire. I'm sure other people would love this book. Unfortunately, it just wasn't "it" for me.

-- 16 Aug 2017, 13:20 --
kandscreeley wrote:Well, this sounds like a good idea. Unfortunately, it doesn't sound like it is executed really well. Thanks for the review.
I agree. I looked up reviews for both is book and the first in the series. The issues I had seem to be commonplace for several others as well.
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds promising. Too bad about the inconsistent pacing of the book and the disappointing conclusion. Good job on the review.
Afuglsan

Post by Afuglsan »

Thank you, kimmyschemy06. I really enjoyed the author's writing style, but I just couldn't enjoy the ending.
Excitedreads
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 667">Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows</a>
Currently Reading: Rich Woman
Bookshelf Size: 142
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-excitedreads.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Reading Device: B00J8DL78O

Post by Excitedreads »

Sounds like an interesting novel.. maybe it needs to be wrapped up better? I'm not personally a fan of cliff hangers, so this one would be good for me, but i guess if it's part of a series, there should be SOME amount of suspense at the end of the novel. Thanks for the review though.
Between the pages of a book is a lovely place to be...
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
Afuglsan

Post by Afuglsan »

Excitedreads wrote:Sounds like an interesting novel.. maybe it needs to be wrapped up better? I'm not personally a fan of cliff hangers, so this one would be good for me, but i guess if it's part of a series, there should be SOME amount of suspense at the end of the novel. Thanks for the review though.
Definitely, Excitedreads. I do understand the reasons for cliffhangers, but this one was just to confusing.
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

Thanks for the review, bits of the book sound appealing to me based on your review but overall, I don't think this is the book for me.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Books containing magic and supernatural stuff are a favourite of mine. Too bad you disliked the end. May be I will give it a chance. Thanks for sharing your views.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Christina Rose
Previous Member of the Month
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 135
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-christina-rose.html
Latest Review: The Last Leaf to Fall by Amy M. Watson
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by Christina Rose »

I love fantasy novels, but from your review I gather this may not be the book for me. One of the reasons I love the genre is for the epic battles, and that seems to be lacking in this one. Thank you for the honest review.
Afuglsan

Post by Afuglsan »

The Researcher wrote:Books containing magic and supernatural stuff are a favourite of mine. Too bad you disliked the end. May be I will give it a chance. Thanks for sharing your views.
Definitely, give it a try! You may love the novel. The writing was certainly excellent.
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Thank you for your frank review, Afuglsan. I don't think I will invest in a series that has the flaws you mentioned. I am curious, though, how a writer can write excellently and yet fail to impress you fully.

I found your comment about the author's ability to use the thesaurus hilarious, funny, and amusing.
Afuglsan

Post by Afuglsan »

Miriam Molina wrote:Thank you for your frank review, Afuglsan. I don't think I will invest in a series that has the flaws you mentioned. I am curious, though, how a writer can write excellently and yet fail to impress you fully.

I found your comment about the author's ability to use the thesaurus hilarious, funny, and amusing.
Thank you, Miriam Molina. Your comment also made me giggle. Perhaps I am just too picky about the plot, but the author has a certain command over the English language that I enjoyed.
Izesicle
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 140
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-izesicle.html
Latest Review: With Malice Aforethought by Thonie Hevron
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Izesicle »

but the author uses them correctly to enhance the story verses to show off that she knows how to use a thesaurus
. this made me laugh. this is my favourite part in your review. Thank you for stopping by my review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”