Official Review: Black inked pearl by Ruth finnegan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Official Review: Black inked pearl by Ruth finnegan

Post by Kitkat3 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Black inked pearl" by Ruth finnegan.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Black Inked Pearl: A Girl’s Quest by Ruth Finnegan is a work of poetry and prose that is 286 pages long. It is listed under Religion and Spirituality. This is clearly a book that is meant to be studied. It is very confusing at parts, but is not a result of bad writing, because the confusion is meant to display the nature of the characters and Kate’s emotional struggle. Also, the confusion stems from the otherworldly story that seems to blend dream worlds with reality. The line between real life and dream worlds becomes less clear as the book goes on. Many aspects of the book seem to be open to readers' interpretations.

Kate rejects the love of her soul mate as a young girl. She continues with her life, going to a convent to get her education. She gets engaged, has a career, and travels to Africa. In Africa, God’s plan is revealed to her, and she remembers her long lost love. She feels guilt for rejecting him, and realizes her mistake. She searches for him, but he rejects her at the gates of Heaven. She looks for him again and watches in sorrow as he slowly leaves her. The guilt of rejecting her true love follows her as she tries to make it right. God decides to be merciful and gives her another way to meet her love again and fulfill her destiny. Her journey takes her to the Garden of Eden, heaven, and hell. In the end, it is all about self-discovery and eternal love.

This is not an easy, quick read. There are times that I had to pause and reread paragraphs. There are many parts of the book that read similarly to a stream of consciousness. What I love most about this approach is how it conveys Kate’s and other character’s thoughts and emotions. A lot is left out, so the reader is required to fill in the spaces and understand the transitions. There is no warning that the perspectives have changed, so you have to put that together on your own. Time also flip-flops back and forth with little warning. Instead of a structured narrative that explains, the reader is able to see through the characters’ ideas, remembering memories the way that we actually remember moments from our lives in flashes. It is like being in their minds. There are also pieces of more traditional style poetry throughout the work.

The author conveys emotions well, and I could really relate to Kate. What I liked most about Black Inked Pearl is how heavily some of the author’s statements hit me emotionally. Each event or test in the text can be interpreted as a real life event. For example, I believe that the last test in which Kate has to read and understand all knowledge in God’s library may represent the monotony of life after a true love has passed away. It feels as though you must search through the largest library in existence before you are finally granted the chance to see them again in the afterlife. Because Kate originally rejected the man’s love, she has to complete multiple tests to prove that her love is enough. One of my favorite parts of the book is when Kate must cut off her ring finger to wake her love. The author makes an analogy-she cuts off her finger as one would cut down a tree. The poem after this alludes to Christ’s love, because he died on a tree.

Much of the writing is very profound, but I also love the humor mixed in. For instance God is not depicted in a traditional way. God’s mercy is what gives her the ability to see her true love again, but he is also a source of humor multiple times in the text.
“For the learning of those black-robed ones’ (he meant the nuns - God isn’t always up with the latest lingo you know; far less the fashion trade)…”
“But not of my will, child,’ he added hastily, in case she thought he was all-forgiving or merciful or something…”

Apparently, God is also a cat person. This was a nice addition considering the heaviness of the rest of the text. On the other hand, God is also described as a hard working, always busy gardener.

The end of the book includes a very helpful index that helps the reader understand references to other poems and literature. This gives the reader a little more context and expands upon the meaning of the text. There are references to Odysseus, Achilles, Aeneas, and Shakespeare.

I believe that this book is a work of art. The story is very intricately woven, and the references to other works add to the book, so I rate it 4 out of 4 stars. There are a couple of words that are misspelled, but I believe that that was done on purpose. The book also contains made up words. This was an interesting read that I would consider reading again to study and delve into the meaning further.

Black inked pearl
View: on Bookshelves

Like Kitkat3's review? Post a comment saying so!
Betu Carol
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Betu Carol »

The book is a profound read. Very real in imagination and awakening a deep desire and curiosity for the unknown. A must have on every shelf
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I don't think this book is for me, but it is a unique concept. Thanks for the lovely review. I enjoyed reading it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>

Post by Kitkat3 »

Betu Carol wrote:The book is a profound read. Very real in imagination and awakening a deep desire and curiosity for the unknown. A must have on every shelf
Yes it is. It is a very interesting, thought provoking read. Thanks for the comment!

-- Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:12 pm --
kandscreeley wrote:I don't think this book is for me, but it is a unique concept. Thanks for the lovely review. I enjoyed reading it.
Thank you! Thanks for the comment! :D
Abfaniki
Currently Reading: Arturo Riojas
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abfaniki.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Abfaniki »

This is not my kind of book. Thus the thought of one missing his/her soul mate duebto a choice they made will make a good read
Thank for review
opinion is like ass, everyone has one and it's full of sh*t. :D :lol: :o :(
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
MrsCatInTheHat
Favorite Book: Cry the Beloved Country
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 376
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mrscatinthehat.html
Latest Review: Marc Marci by Larry G. Goldsmith
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU
Publishing Contest Votes: 0

Post by MrsCatInTheHat »

Authors that have the ability to convey emotions realistically make their characters come alive.
Life without a good book is something MrsCatInTheHat cannot imagine.
Kitkat3

Post by Kitkat3 »

Abfaniki wrote:This is not my kind of book. Thus the thought of one missing his/her soul mate duebto a choice they made will make a good read
Thank for review
The author does perfectly communicate the internal struggle we experience when we make choices in life that we regret. Thanks for the comment.

-- Tue Aug 15, 2017 4:08 pm --
CatInTheHat wrote:Authors that have the ability to convey emotions realistically make their characters come alive.
I totally agree. Thanks for the comment. :D
bookiegalke
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookiegalke.html
Latest Review: One Way or Another by Mary J. Williams

Post by bookiegalke »

I wonder what was going through the mind of the writer when she decided to write this book but this is a good review

-- 16 Aug 2017, 02:54 --

I wonder what was going through the mind of the writer when she decided to write this book but this is a good reviews
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
Kitkat3

Post by Kitkat3 »

Thank you! The book is very open to interpretation, so it is very difficult to determine what the author originally intended. However, there is an clear conclusion (or message) to the story.
Lest92
Currently Reading: Oil and Marble
Bookshelf Size: 199
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lest92.html
Latest Review: The Everywhere Spirit by Nicholas Applin

Post by Lest92 »

I like that there is humour to relieve the reader - reminds me rather of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens. Well done with the review! It's a great overview of what to expect. I think I'll put this one on my to-read list:)
Bigirimana Celestin
Currently Reading: We are Voulhire: Someone Else's End
Bookshelf Size: 341
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bigirimana-celestin.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Bigirimana Celestin »

Apparently, God is also a cat person. This was a nice addition considering the heaviness of the rest of the text. On the other hand, God is also described as a hard working, always busy gardener.

How the author describes the real God, seems as interesting.
Great review! thanks.
“There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you.”
― Maya Angelou
Kitkat3

Post by Kitkat3 »

Lest92 wrote:I like that there is humour to relieve the reader - reminds me rather of Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett's Good Omens. Well done with the review! It's a great overview of what to expect. I think I'll put this one on my to-read list:)
Thank you! I'm glad that you are going to check out the book. :D

-- Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:10 pm --
bigirimanacelestin wrote:

How the author describes the real God, seems as interesting.
Great review! thanks.
Yes, it certainly was interesting. Some parts were more of a traditional description, whereas others were quite unconventional. Thank you!
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I think I've already heard about this book but haven't yet found enough time to study it. Just like I thought, it must be a hard read that takes a lot of time as well as interaction on the reader's side. I love how relatable it is, I don't doubt it's well crafted. Thanks for the review.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Kitkat3

Post by Kitkat3 »

IsabelMay wrote:I think I've already heard about this book but haven't yet found enough time to study it. Just like I thought, it must be a hard read that takes a lot of time as well as interaction on the reader's side. I love how relatable it is, I don't doubt it's well crafted. Thanks for the review.
Yes, this book is definitely worth the effort when you have time to study it. Thanks for the comment. :D
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very nice review! It sounds like a very intense read. I liked the fact in the book that God decided to award the main character a second chance at love.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”