Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Underground: Second Edition

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: The Underground: Second Edition

Post Number:#1 by ZenaLei7
» 26 Jul 2017, 23:12

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Underground: Second Edition" by Roxanne Bland.]

Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Review by ZenaLei7
Share This Review

The Underground: Second Edition by Roxanne Bland is a dark fantasy novel. Set in a world filled with wereanimals, witches, and vampires, the story is told in the third person perspective through various characters.

Parker, a werewolf, is devastated after watching the woman he loves, Garrett, become entranced with Seattle’s master vampire, Kurt. As he struggles to overcome his grief, he meets an alien named Melera who may or may not be the serial killer menacing Seattle. Garrett, who is also a mage, wants Parker to join her in her quest to rule over Seattle. However, Parker wants nothing to with her, but when an unexpected event occurs, he discovers a shocking secret. As Parker unwillingly falls in love with Melera, he encounters many dangers as he struggles to prove Melera’s innocence.

I think the best part about this book was the characters. Each character was pivotal to the plot. Not one of the characters sounded the same, and the characterizations of each character were different. Even with the human side and wolf side of Parker, the author manages to create two different personalities of the same person. The author also does a good job in developing the background information for each character. However, there wasn’t any character progression except for Parker. Parker goes from hating Kurt and Garrett to feeling indifferent of their relationship with one another.

The author does a great job in building the suspense, and there were some surprising twists to the plot. There were many subplots that were integrated into the main storyline which made them complex, but interesting. While the plot had enough suspense to keep me interested, the ending was very abrupt. The ending left a few questions unanswered, and it didn't wrap up the story nicely.

There were a few grammatical errors, but they didn’t detract from the book. However, there were many graphic scenes, so I wouldn’t recommend this book to younger readers. These graphic scenes include profanity, violence, and multiple sex scenes. This book is listed under sci-fi/fantasy, but with the amount of adult content in the book, I think it is better suited under the erotic and romance genre. Although I did know that this book included a lot of adult content, the amount of sex scenes that I came across were staggering.

Overall, I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. Although the characters were well rounded and the plot was suspenseful, the abrupt ending plus the disturbing amount of graphic scenes causes me to take away one star. I recommend this book to those who like to read dark fantasy or erotic books.

The Underground: Second Edition
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 46%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Underground: Second Edition

Post Number:#2 by KlareAllison
» 01 Aug 2017, 11:54

Nice review, congrats! However, the world of fantasy holds little attraction for me. The book would appeal to lovers of this genre. It appears quite imaginatively crafted with all the intrigues written into the setting and characters of this dark world of vampires, werewolves and the likes.
KlareAllison

Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 34 books
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#3 by ZenaLei7
» 01 Aug 2017, 12:01

KlareAllison wrote:Nice review, congrats! However, the world of fantasy holds little attraction for me. The book would appeal to lovers of this genre. It appears quite imaginatively crafted with all the intrigues written into the setting and characters of this dark world of vampires, werewolves and the likes.

Thank you!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by kandscreeley
» 01 Aug 2017, 12:14

Yeah... that's why I didn't review this one. It just seemed like it was going to be over the top. I enjoy a good science fiction, but I don't think it's necessary to put all that extra in there. Still, thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 88 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 71%

Post Number:#5 by jemgirl202
» 01 Aug 2017, 12:30

Great review! I really enjoy fantasy novels, especially if they are interesting and unique in their own way.
jemgirl202's Latest Review: "The Dunston Blade" by John Nelson Daines
jemgirl202

Currently Reading: Here and Gone
Bookshelf Size: 23 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 10 Books
Goal Completion: 70%

Post Number:#6 by Joyce Nyarondia
» 01 Aug 2017, 12:36

A message is well said I real admire it
Joyce Nyarondia

Currently Reading: The Underground: Second Edition
Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#7 by ZenaLei7
» 01 Aug 2017, 12:39

kandscreeley wrote:Yeah... that's why I didn't review this one. It just seemed like it was going to be over the top. I enjoy a good science fiction, but I don't think it's necessary to put all that extra in there. Still, thanks for the review.

Thanks!

-- 01 Aug 2017, 11:39 --

jemgirl202 wrote:Great review! I really enjoy fantasy novels, especially if they are interesting and unique in their own way.

Thank you!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by greenstripedgiraffe
» 01 Aug 2017, 13:28

Thanks for your review! I am always glad to find out that a particular book just isn't for me :D This one with all the adult scenes definitely is one I would set aside.
"no one down here" --- Up the Down Staircase
greenstripedgiraffe's Latest Review: "The War Within, the Story of Josef" by Patricia Walkow
greenstripedgiraffe

Currently Reading: Unwritten Rules of Social Relationships
Bookshelf Size: 214 books

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by ZenaLei7
» 01 Aug 2017, 13:46

greenstripedgiraffe wrote:Thanks for your review! I am always glad to find out that a particular book just isn't for me :D This one with all the adult scenes definitely is one I would set aside.

Thanks for reading!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#10 by LadyClaire
» 01 Aug 2017, 15:05

The story line is cool and it could well be a rendition of the Underworld in black and white,anyways, I will skip this one because of the explicit scenes. Thanks for the review, Zenalei7.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
LadyClaire

Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#11 by ZenaLei7
» 01 Aug 2017, 15:46

LadyClaire wrote:The story line is cool and it could well be a rendition of the Underworld in black and white,anyways, I will skip this one because of the explicit scenes. Thanks for the review, Zenalei7.

Thanks for reading!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#12 by kinsonkahihu
» 01 Aug 2017, 22:58

" the title of the book clearly says it all its a unique book to read

-- 01 Aug 2017, 22:58 --
kinsonkahihu

Bookshelf Size: 0 books

Post Number:#13 by ZenaLei7
» 01 Aug 2017, 23:14

kinsonkahihu wrote:" the title of the book clearly says it all its a unique book to read-

Yes it is a unique book to read.
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#14 by Kelebogile Mbangi
» 02 Aug 2017, 10:56

Yikes... I steer away from books with graphic scenes, so I don't think I will read this. Thanks for the great review though.
"I am a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that's me." - Maya Angelou.
Kelebogile Mbangi's Latest Review: "Anastasia's Book of Day" by Cindy Maynard
Kelebogile Mbangi

Currently Reading: Anastasia's Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 25 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 70%

Post Number:#15 by ZenaLei7
» 02 Aug 2017, 12:17

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:Yikes... I steer away from books with graphic scenes, so I don't think I will read this. Thanks for the great review though.

Thanks for reading!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Next