Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: From Whence They Came by Thomas Zman

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: From Whence They Came by Thomas Zman

Post Number:#1 by Scerakor
» 24 Jul 2017, 07:19

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "From Whence They Came" by Thomas Zman.]

Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Review by Scerakor
Share This Review

As far back as 1950, the Devil’s Triangle (more often known as the Bermuda triangle) has been singled out as a location with a high incidence of mysterious disappearances. Boats and planes alike have fallen prey to this dangerous (and potentially supernatural?) corner of the North Atlantic Ocean. From Whence They Came by Thomas Zman begins as Lt. Steve Coleman and Captain Frank Tober, test pilots in the United States Air Force, are headed out on a test flight in just this region of the North Atlantic. As has happened many times before, communications with the plane are lost and all controls are no longer responding. As the aircraft plummets (surprisingly controlled) into the depths of the Atlantic, Lt. Coleman would never believe that he was about to not only discover the mysteries of the Bermuda Triangle but also much more than he could ever imagine.

These two pilots wake up groggy and find themselves abducted by an alien race, the Phoebians. They are in an immense cavern found one league under the ocean in a city called Neuphobes. This city, one of several around Earth, are the hide-outs/bases of the Phoebians, their technology, and the humans that have been selected to join their ranks. These aliens arrived on Earth in order to build a new world and correct the mistakes they made on their home planet. The main goal of these aliens and their human workers is to serve the Sanctification: the awaiting of the second coming. The story follows Steve as he discovers more about Earth than he ever thought possible, adapts to life in Neuphobes, and builds personal relationships.

From Whence They Came is a very creative and detailed science fiction novel that has taken a unique spin on an extraterrestrial presence on Earth and one that links it up to some unsolved mysteries (such as the Bermuda Triangle). Zman builds not only the story at hand, but also the backstory behind the aliens' presence (and their activities) extremely well. He is a master of descriptions and lays out the scene for you in a way that makes you feel as if you are actually present in Neuphobes. The explanations of the engineering used in the cavern, the physics used in space travel, and the style of life (as well as many other elements) are enough to have you seriously consider whether or not these concepts could actually be a reality. What I liked the most about this book was that although the Phoebians are abducting and using human beings to work for the Sanctification, this story really focusses on all of the positive aspects they are bringing to these members of the human race. All of the humans involved in this story that have been living with the aliens feel blessed, in good health, and overall they are content.

Unfortunately, there were several things that I didn’t enjoy about this book. There were several spelling mistakes that I picked up on throughout the book, but not enough to take away from the flow of the book. In fact, they may already be taken care of as there was an update to the book during the course of my review. Even though it was a slightly recurring theme, I got the impression that the humans that were abducted have been a little bit quick to forget their previous lives. Some people (like Steve Coleman) do worry and think about loved ones they left behind, but nobody makes any attempt to either escape or get back to their families except for one minor incident at the end of the book. I believe that it is human nature to attempt escape and seek freedom after being taken prisoner and that this takes away from a bit of the realism. What I disliked the most is that at times it really felt like I was only reading half of a book. Despite the excellent descriptions alluded to above, nothing significant really happened during the course of the novel. After the abduction, there was very little action, plot, conflict, or conundrums. I felt like I was reading the history and geographic descriptions within The Lord of the Rings without ever seeing a fight scene or a trek to Mordor.

I really struggled in deciding what to give this book. I feel a bit harsh but eventually decided to give this book 2 out of 4 stars. Although it was well written and an extremely interesting world was created (this is why I didn't give it any lower) I rated it a two since there was really not much going on in terms of a story/plot. With a bit of work to include some action and/or conflict, this could be an excellent book. If you are a fan of alien abduction and science-fiction stories with well-researched backgrounds, you may enjoy this book. If you are a suspense/thriller/plot-junkie, you may find this one wanting.

From Whence They Came
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
Scerakor

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 56 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 52 Books
Goal Completion: 80%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: From Whence They Came by Thomas Zman

Post Number:#2 by Bakayoko
» 31 Jul 2017, 05:07

i loved the book. Good indepth content.
Bakayoko

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#3 by Miriamsam
» 31 Jul 2017, 05:53

Great review. Now I won't look for the book if it lacks the action.
Miriamsam's Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Miriamsam

Currently Reading: The Award
Bookshelf Size: 8 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#4 by Sakib
» 31 Jul 2017, 07:01

Wounderful book
Sakib

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0 books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#5 by kandscreeley
» 31 Jul 2017, 07:12

Sounds interesting. It's too bad that nothing really happened after the abduction. That seems a little odd. Ah well. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 88 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 71%

Post Number:#6 by The Researcher
» 31 Jul 2017, 07:37

The topic relates to bermuda triangle disappearances is quite interesting. Too bad the novel lacks imagination and has too many editing errors.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
The Researcher's Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
The Researcher

Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 95 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
Goal Completion: 158%

Post Number:#7 by Juliet Esther
» 31 Jul 2017, 09:11

Haven't read it though i am planning to, i think the story follows an interesting plot and i hope the book has been updated and the errors corrected. Great review
Juliet Esther's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Juliet Esther

Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#8 by juliusotinyo
» 31 Jul 2017, 10:02

Hi, nice content in this story, its unfortunate there wasn't much action after the abduction.
However, I believe the Bermuda triangle is different from the devil's sea/triangle which is in the Pacific
juliusotinyo's Latest Review: "Book Blueprint" by Jacqui Pretty
juliusotinyo

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 34 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 17 Books
Goal Completion: 100%

Post Number:#9 by bookiegalke
» 31 Jul 2017, 12:14

I've always preferred watching a thriller as opposed to reading it but I wouldn't mind reading it. good review
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookiegalke

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 10%

Post Number:#10 by LadyClaire
» 31 Jul 2017, 17:18

Your review is very informative, Scerakor. I definitely will find it hard to enjoy a book that explains a lot with no action to balance up. I do hope those errors are corrected.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
LadyClaire

Currently Reading: My Trip To Adele
Bookshelf Size: 51 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#11 by kimmyschemy06
» Yesterday, 08:29

That was a very honest review. I have to agree about the book being unique in that this is the first book I encounter that features extraterrestrial being that is linked with an unsolved mystery. Too bad about the inadequate action scenes. Good job on the review.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: God Without Religion
Bookshelf Size: 328 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 82%