Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Sword and the Dragon by M. R. Mathias

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: The Sword and the Dragon by M. R. Mathias

Post Number:#1 by ZenaLei7
» 21 Jul 2017, 14:47

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Sword and the Dragon" by M. R. Mathias.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by ZenaLei7
Share This Review

The Sword and the Dragon by M.R. Mathias is the first book of the Wardstone Trilogy. Set in a world filled with mythical creatures, the story is told in the third person perspective through various characters.

When the King Balton of Westland is poisoned by his wizard, Pael, the king’s squire, Mikahl, flees to the Giant Mountains with the legendary sword, Ironspike. Pael will stop at nothing in order to get what he wants and will even sacrifice his daughter’s lover so he can rule the world. His daughter, Shaella, unwillingly falls in love with Gerard who with his brother, Hyden, faces many dangers. While Mikahl is fleeing from Westland, he meets several companions that have the same agenda that he has: to stop Pael. Together they encounter many dangers as they desperately figure out a way to end Pael’s reign of terror.

The author created an action-packed novel that never had a dull moment. The plot was suspenseful and filled with adventure. The action scenes made the book suspenseful because they were easy to visualize and were not overdone. The descriptions of the scenery were expertly blended into the narrative. The author’s word choice painted a vivid picture of the world of the Mainland Kingdoms. I felt like I was in the novel and experiencing whatever the characters were experiencing.

There were multiple characters in the novel, and all of them played an integral role in the plot. The author vividly described each of the characters and how each of their choices impacted the rest of the characters. All the characters, from the good guys to the bad guys, were crafted into believable and well-developed characters. The villains, especially Pael, were horrible. His actions helped to depict him as a vile and evil creature. On the other hand, Mikahl’s progression from being an unsure teen to a strong young man was well crafted. At first he is uncertain of what to do, but he gains strength and courage with the help of his companions. Vaegon and Loudin are secondary characters that not only help Mikahl in his quest, but they also give him the strength to do what is right.

There were many subplots that were integrated into the main storyline. At first, I wondered why there were so many subplots, but I later realized that each of the subplots was essential to the main plot. The subplots are what made the plot very intricate and suspenseful. There were a few grammatical errors, but they didn't detract from the book.

Overall, I rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I love it when I'm able to have a strong connection with the characters, and this book definitely did that for me. Some of the content in this book is graphic, so I wouldn’t recommend this book to younger readers. I recommend this book to those who like to read fantasy books.

The Sword and the Dragon
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 46%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Sword and the Dragon by M. R. Mathi

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 29 Jul 2017, 10:36

I'm more of a science fiction reader than a fantasy reader. Still, this does sound good. Plus, you can't argue with a perfect 4 out of 4 rating. Thanks for the review.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 88 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 71%

Post Number:#3 by JCasia
» 29 Jul 2017, 11:27

The sword and the dragon.
Action fantasy adventure.
this is for me. i want this...
JCasia

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#4 by ZenaLei7
» 29 Jul 2017, 11:35

kandscreeley wrote:I'm more of a science fiction reader than a fantasy reader. Still, this does sound good. Plus, you can't argue with a perfect 4 out of 4 rating. Thanks for the review.

Thanks for reading!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#5 by Juliet Esther
» 29 Jul 2017, 14:24

Even the cover talks for itself, the review is very clear and has painted an image in my mind. I'm definitely going to read this one. I hope I enjoy just as much as you did. Nice review
Juliet Esther's Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Juliet Esther

Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#6 by ZenaLei7
» 29 Jul 2017, 14:43

Juliet Esther wrote:Even the cover talks for itself, the review is very clear and has painted an image in my mind. I'm definitely going to read this one. I hope I enjoy just as much as you did. Nice review

Thanks!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#7 by Jem Tomarong
» 30 Jul 2017, 20:57

Wow, I like it. Thanks for the review. A good exercise for the brain. I will this fiction. Fantasy is not real but sometimes related to our situations.
Jem Tomarong's Latest Review: "Keys to Tetouan" by Mois Benarroch
Jem Tomarong

Currently Reading: The Message?
Bookshelf Size: 22 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#8 by ZenaLei7
» 30 Jul 2017, 21:17

Jem Tomarong wrote:Wow, I like it. Thanks for the review. A good exercise for the brain. I will this fiction. Fantasy is not real but sometimes related to our situations.

Thanks for reading!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#9 by Miriamsam
» 31 Jul 2017, 06:00

Great review, I'll definitely look for the book. I love fantasy books because it has some content that's out of this world.
Miriamsam's Latest Review: "Heaven and Earth" by Arturo Riojas
Miriamsam

Currently Reading: The Award
Bookshelf Size: 8 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#10 by ZenaLei7
» 31 Jul 2017, 09:15

Miriamsam wrote:Great review, I'll definitely look for the book. I love fantasy books because it has some content that's out of this world.

Thanks!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#11 by Kelebogile Mbangi
» 31 Jul 2017, 15:16

I'm not a fan of fantasy books but you make this one sound great, its clear that you enjoyed it. Thank you for your review.
"I am a woman phenomenally. Phenomenal woman, that's me." - Maya Angelou.
Kelebogile Mbangi's Latest Review: "Anastasia's Book of Day" by Cindy Maynard
Kelebogile Mbangi

Currently Reading: Anastasia's Book of Days
Bookshelf Size: 25 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 20 Books
Goal Completion: 70%

Post Number:#12 by ZenaLei7
» 31 Jul 2017, 15:59

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:I'm not a fan of fantasy books but you make this one sound great, its clear that you enjoyed it. Thank you for your review.

Thanks for reading!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#13 by The Researcher
» 31 Jul 2017, 23:51

Very nice review! You wrote beautifully about the book. However, I am not much of a fan of novels involving dragons etc.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
The Researcher's Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
The Researcher

Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 95 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 158%

Post Number:#14 by ZenaLei7
» 01 Aug 2017, 00:17

The Researcher wrote:Very nice review! You wrote beautifully about the book. However, I am not much of a fan of novels involving dragons etc.

Thanks!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#15 by bookiegalke
» 01 Aug 2017, 07:11

though a book of this genre wouldn't strike my interest, it would be appealing to those readers that enjoy this genre judging from this review. this deserves a 4 out of 4 rating
'if you encounter a man of rare intellect, you should ask him what books he reads'
Ralph Waldo Emerson
bookiegalke

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 15 books

View Reviewer Page
Goal Completion: 10%

Next