Official Review: The Moreva of Astoreth by Roxanne Bland

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: The Moreva of Astoreth by Roxanne Bland

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Moreva of Astoreth" by Roxanne Bland.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Moreva of Astoreth is a sci-fi/fantasy novel written by Roxanne Bland. Written in the first person perspective, the story is told by Moreva Tehi, the granddaughter of the Devi goddess, Astoreth. Tehi is half Devi and half Morev. In her world, the Devi are considered gods while the Hakoi are beneath the Devi and the Morev.

When Tehi fails to attend Ohra, one of Astoreth’s holy rites, Astoreth banishes her to Mjor, a backwards village in the north, to be the caretaker of the landing beacon stationed there. Not only does she have to take care of the beacon for a year, but she also has to be the spiritual leader and commander of the garrison stationed at Mjor. During her first couple of weeks, Tehi is often alone because the villagers see her as a Morev and distrust her. However, she becomes good friends with Hyme, the village healer. To make things even more complicated, she falls in love with a Hakoi named Laerd Teger, the village’s chief. They try to keep their love affair a secret, but with Kepten Yose, Tehi’s second in command, spying on them, it is only a matter of time before they are outed. As Tehi works on a cure for the Red Fever, she encounters a shocking secret that shakes the very core of who she is.

I think the best part about this book was the characters. Moreva Tehi’s progression from being spoiled and haughty to being more loving and humble was well developed. She goes from hating the Hakoi to loving them, even falling in love with one. Laerd Teger’s progression from being cold and elusive to being more warm and accepting helped shape Tehi’s character. With Teger’s guidance, Tehi starts to see a different side of the Hakoi people. The secondary characters were also integral to the story. Hyme’s character helped shape Tehi into the woman that she was at the end of the book. Hyme helped Tehi with any problem that she faced and was there for her when she needed him.

The author also did a great job in introducing the background stories of the characters. On the other hand, there wasn't much of a storyline, and the plot was slow-moving at some parts. The author took her time in developing the characters, so the plot moved slowly in many parts of the book. If you are looking for an adventure story, you won’t find one here. This book is mainly about the internal and external struggles that Tehi faces. This book is also about five hundred pages, so it is a long read. There were a couple of sex scenes, so I wouldn’t recommend this book for younger readers.

Overall, I rate this book a 3 out of 4 stars. The characters were well developed, but the plot moved a little too slow for me. There were a few grammatical errors, but they didn’t detract from the book. I recommend this book to those who like to read sci-fi/fantasy books.

The Moreva of Astoreth
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well, this isn't a book for me. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it, but it sounds a little too slow moving and explicit for me. Thanks though!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote:Well, this isn't a book for me. I'm glad you were able to enjoy it, but it sounds a little too slow moving and explicit for me. Thanks though!
Thanks for reading!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

The book cover is a hit! but I'm not a fan of books with lots of strange-named characters. Thanks for sharing, Zenalei7.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

LadyClaire wrote:The book cover is a hit! but I'm not a fan of books with lots of strange-named characters. Thanks for sharing, Zenalei7.
Thanks for reading!
Eni Uchenna Jay
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 11

Post by Eni Uchenna Jay »

I may not have read the book, but it captures the ancient times. I love books that takes one aback in history. Thank you for taking time to read and review the book.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Eni Uchenna Jay wrote:I may not have read the book, but it captures the ancient times. I love books that takes one aback in history. Thank you for taking time to read and review the book.
Thanks for reading!
Ikenna Nwankwo
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ikenna Nwankwo »

This is a nice story carefully laid out, I seems that the characters will make a wonderful script and screenplay should this be a movie.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Ikenna Nwankwo wrote:This is a nice story carefully laid out, I seems that the characters will make a wonderful script and screenplay should this be a movie.
Thanks!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like a very interesting book. I love the premise and the protagonists seems intriguing and endearing. Too bad, though, about the slow moving plot. Good job on the review.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

kimmyschemy06 wrote:Sounds like a very interesting book. I love the premise and the protagonists seems intriguing and endearing. Too bad, though, about the slow moving plot. Good job on the review.
Thanks for reading!
Kitkat3
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 1496">Milk and Honey</a>
Currently Reading: All the Light We Cannot See
Bookshelf Size: 254
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kitkat3.html
Latest Review: A Bundle of Colorful Yarns by Louis Winslow

Post by Kitkat3 »

This doesn't sound like my kind of book since I tend to enjoy a fast paced plot. However, it does sound unique. Great review!
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

The story of a priestess who is the granddaughter of a powerful goddess? Sounds interesting. Too bad about the slow pace and lack of adventure. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Olivercast

Post by Olivercast »

a wonderfull story and simply magistic
Alumhe

Post by Alumhe »

i love the book, i love the way the character translate from be hate and naughty to be humble and loved.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”