Official Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html
Latest Review: "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz

Official Review: The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz

Post by hannahbm13 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Last City of America" by Matthew Tysz.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Last City of America by Matthew Tysz is a compelling Sci-Fi/Fantasy novel told from the perspective of several irresistibly well-written characters. While embarking on quests for power, revenge, and even scientific discovery, the characters are often faced with dangerous situations and inevitable moral dilemmas. When mixed with the mystery behind the genesis of the Hephaestus virus, a disease that nearly wiped out the human race, the adventures detailed in this story create an unforgettable world that I would undoubtedly be pleased to find myself reading about again. 

Lovers of action, adventure, romance, mystery, sci-fi, fantasy, post-apocalyptic worlds, wartime stories, and novels discussing issues of morality will be enthralled by this magnificent piece of work. Indeed, by page seven, I had already become unaware of the fact that I was reading a book: I was simply accompanying the characters on their fascinating journeys. The brilliant writing and the dynamic characters made for a novel I simply could not put down. That being said, the issues covered in this book are very mature, with strong language and graphic violence, leading me to recommend this only to an older audience, of at least High School age. 

Though this book completely captivated me, there were a few aspects of the writing that took away from the reading experience.  The spelling and grammar was at times sloppy, sometimes ripping me away from the situation taking place at the time. The bigger issue, however, was the few loose ends left at the end of the book: with the numerous characters and adventures covered in only 652 pages, it wasn’t too surprising, but I was still hoping everything would tie together nicely at the end. That being said, the loose ends weren’t exceedingly significant, so if it had happened to be the only issue I would have let it slide. Tied together with the mechanical errors, however, it did lessen the reading experience enough to receive only a 3 out of 4 star rating. 

Despite the issues discussed above, it was truly a pleasure to be a part of the world Matthew Tysz created in his novel The Last City of America. I was honored to read and review this book, and genuinely hope others enjoy this novel as thoroughly as I did.

Throughout my reading experience, I was constantly thinking about how certain events would be portrayed in a movie, and felt excitement about potentially viewing it in the future. With a few edits that I would be delighted to discuss in detail with the author, I believe this work could be a bestseller, possibly even a worldwide phenomenon.

The Last City of America
View: on Bookshelves

Like hannahbm13's review? Post a comment saying so!
Barrack15
Bookshelf Size: 7

Post by Barrack15 »

I think I will add this book in my reading wish list.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! Glad you liked this one. It does sound quite interesting. Thanks for sharing with us.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

The world in this book with the Hephaestus virus seems intriguing. Pity about the editing though. I find it extremely hard to read badly edited books. The mistakes seem to jump out at me. :/
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
hannahbm13
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 920">Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone</a>
Currently Reading: Doctor Who: Winner Takes All
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-hannahbm13.html

Post by hannahbm13 »

[quote="Barrack15"]I think I will add this book in my reading wish list.[/quote]
That sounds great! Let me know what you think of it :)

-- 28 Jul 2017, 08:47 --

[quote="kandscreeley"]Wow! Glad you liked this one. It does sound quite interesting. Thanks for sharing with us.[/quote]
Thank you for taking the time to read and comment! If you end up reading the book, let me know what you think of it!

-- 28 Jul 2017, 08:48 --

[quote="Anirudh Badri"]The world in this book with the Hephaestus virus seems intriguing. Pity about the editing though. I find it extremely hard to read badly edited books. The mistakes seem to jump out at me. :/[/quote]
I usually have a hard time as well, but the world created in this book was indeed so intruiging I was able to look past the mistakes!
Ferdinand_Otieno
Book of the Month Participant
Favorite Author: Victor Rose
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 1749
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ferdinand-otieno.html
Latest Review: Zona: The Forbidden Land by Fred G. Baker
fav_author_id: 78026

Post by Ferdinand_Otieno »

Amazing review of an incredible book.
Colleen0701
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 67
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-colleen0701.html
Latest Review: "Kennedy's Revenge" by Stephen L Rodenbeck

Post by Colleen0701 »

I'm reviewing it at the moment. I agree that it's so well described, that I can picture this apocalyptic world. Really should be a movie.
Some people read to live. I live to read.
Latest Review: "Kennedy's Revenge" by Stephen L Rodenbeck
Abacus
Favorite Book: Elizabeth's Garden
Currently Reading: Zonas de
Bookshelf Size: 194
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-abacus.html
Latest Review: Elizabeth's Garden by Phillip Leighton-Daly
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by Abacus »

I am reviewing The last City in America. The writing is excellent and clear, the story moves along. It seems to suggest that human nature does not want a-happy-ever-after scenario and will always end up in war, and bloodshed. There is a large emphasis on callous killing, scientific experimentation on humans, very vengeful unhappy people.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”