Official Review: Blaine's Legacy by Scotti Jones

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Official Review: Blaine's Legacy by Scotti Jones

Post by MarisaRose »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blaine's Legacy" by Scotti Jones.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Blaine’s Legacy by Scotti Jones is a fantasy novel about a sixteen year-old-boy with a laundry list of supernatural abilities. From super-healing powers and telekinesis, to spell casting and empathy, Blaine has it all; not to mention he’s an all-star athlete as well. The death of Blaine’s boyfriend, Brent, has left him down and depressed as of late, but Blaine doesn’t have time to mourn because he is being hunted by the evil, ghost-like being, Shadeaux, who has pursued Blaine his entire life.

To begin, it is evident when reading Blaine’s Legacy that the work is not ready for publication. The formatting is inconsistent throughout the narrative: only some paragraphs are indented, random line breaks appear continuously, and punctuation errors are abundant. Even more irksome is the lack of scene breaks; paragraphs jump from one set of characters and events to another with no indication of the change in setting. Lastly, many of the characters’ names are incredibly similar, making the story difficult to follow. For example, Blaine, Blake and Brent are all important characters, as are Jamie and Jimmy and Keldar and Kalvyn.

The writing itself suffers from a lack of quality as well. Simply put, the writing isn’t engaging. The narrative relies heavily on telling instead of showing. Throughout the story, the plot ceases to move forward as the narrative shifts from story progression to info-dumps; this even occurs in the first few pages where, instead of seeing how Blaine’s powers work, we are told via a long-winded exposition what Blaine’s powers are, how he got them, and who taught him to use them.

On top of the boring writing, there is a serious deficiency in the novel’s focus. Plot devices include monsters from other dimensions, Greek gods, wormholes, giant spiders, magi, shaman, teleportation, astral projection, a council of elders, and time travel, to name a few. Plus, Blaine and his friends are avid pot-heads who once used Blaine’s powers to grow magic pot plants and subsequently run the cartel out of town because they couldn't compete with Blaine and company's low prices. The haphazard incorporation of stoner stereotypes with what seems like every fantasy element known to the genre was overwhelming.

The story had some positive traits, but the majority of those traits were all borrowed from other works. There is the bad guy that needs to take over a body because he only exists in an incorporeal form (Voldemort), and the teenage hero who is hunted by the bad guy because the hero is the reason for the bad guy’s current misfortune (Harry Potter). Blaine is even given an invisibility cloak and an amazing suit of armor made from a metal described very similarly to Mithril. The lack of creativity in the plotting began to feel exasperating and worthy of many an eye-roll.

Regrettably, this novel is still in draft form; the formatting issues, expository writing style, blatant reproduction of ideas, and remarkable lack of focus lead me to give Blaine’s Legacy 1 out of 4 stars. In its current state, I cannot recommend this book.

Blaine's Legacy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
jamesokunmd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesokunmd.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by jamesokunmd »

Congrats on a very insightful review! Constructive criticism should help the author improve the work product.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Athena Moon
Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3217">The Lovely Bones</a>
Currently Reading: The Piketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 54
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-athena-moon.html
Latest Review: And Then I Met Margaret by Rob White
fav_author_id: 2451

Post by Athena Moon »

I can only imagine how patient you had to be to finish the book. It does not sound like readable one. Still, thanks for your effort!
charlesjr2
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-charlesjr2.html
Latest Review: "Escape" by Belle Ami

Post by charlesjr2 »

I think that this review is very helpful. It saves us the stress of actually going through the book
Quirinius
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65134">The Limitless Real Estate Leader</a>
Currently Reading: Sylvio: Past and Present
Bookshelf Size: 172

Post by Quirinius »

Well more encouraged to read the book from the start of the review.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Wow! I'm sorry this book was so disappointing. I hate having to give out 1 star reviews. With all that's wrong (the formatting, character's names being similar, telling instead of showing), I think I'll skip this one!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Thank you for being honest. Some books are just unreadable.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Alice Heritage
Review Team Guidelines Team Leader
Favorite Author: Wilkie Collins
Favorite Book: Wuthering Heights
Currently Reading: 50 Masterpieces of Gothic Fiction
Bookshelf Size: 378
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alice-heritage.html
Latest Review: Keys to Healthy Communication by Bobby R Patton,Rusalyn H Andrews and Jennifer Page Daily
Publishing Contest Votes: 1
fav_author_id: 1
Signature Addition: Mod

Post by Alice Heritage »

This was very instructive on some of the pitfalls of self-publishing, or at any rate doing so too soon without the benefit of some sort of beta reading or editing. Excessively similar names, for example, is something a second pair of eyes can spot right away. And yes, it's boring how many Rowling and Tolkien imitators are out there.
This post was brought to you by the word "specifically".
Mod
Pm7lucas
Currently Reading: The Girl Who Knew da Vinci
Bookshelf Size: 60
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-pm7lucas.html
Reading Device: 1400699169

Post by Pm7lucas »

Thank you for this insightful review. Unfortunately, not every story idea turns out to be a readable book. I find it unbelievably annoying when I find a lot of typos and other mistakes in a book I am trying to read, although if the story is captivating, I will try to ignore the lack of proofreading. Since there are other problems with the story and not just grammar and punctuation mistakes, I think I will skip this one.
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

boohoo! I get teary-eyed when a seemingly good book turns out to be disappointing. Anyways, thanks for the honest review. Constructive criticisms are always welcome. I think I'll avoid this one.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
raikyuu
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =3079">The Republic</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 95
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-raikyuu.html
Latest Review: Who killed Chatunga? by Muvhaki Tasu

Post by raikyuu »

I'm sure the author can learn from his experiences on how to write a better book. This work doesn't necessarily define him, he can still improve a lot further.

Doesn't anyone notice a male-version mary sue in Blaine's Legacy?
-rk
kipkemboi
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by kipkemboi »

post no#12 by kipkemboi>>
"The power of reasoning determine where you will land"
Kashb
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Kashb »

I love the story lines :tiphat:
beatriceanyango
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reading Device: B00GDQDRPK

Post by beatriceanyango »

its suprising.
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

This book seems to take many different directions. The author should probably pick a few special abilities and a few supernatural entities instead of trying to use them all. Too bad the novel is written poorly. The cover looked so promising!
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”