Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Blaine's Legacy by Scotti Jones

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: Blaine's Legacy by Scotti Jones

Post Number:#1 by MarisaRose
» 14 Jul 2017, 13:20

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Blaine's Legacy" by Scotti Jones.]

Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Review by MarisaRose
Share This Review

Blaine’s Legacy by Scotti Jones is a fantasy novel about a sixteen year-old-boy with a laundry list of supernatural abilities. From super-healing powers and telekinesis, to spell casting and empathy, Blaine has it all; not to mention he’s an all-star athlete as well. The death of Blaine’s boyfriend, Brent, has left him down and depressed as of late, but Blaine doesn’t have time to mourn because he is being hunted by the evil, ghost-like being, Shadeaux, who has pursued Blaine his entire life.

To begin, it is evident when reading Blaine’s Legacy that the work is not ready for publication. The formatting is inconsistent throughout the narrative: only some paragraphs are indented, random line breaks appear continuously, and punctuation errors are abundant. Even more irksome is the lack of scene breaks; paragraphs jump from one set of characters and events to another with no indication of the change in setting. Lastly, many of the characters’ names are incredibly similar, making the story difficult to follow. For example, Blaine, Blake and Brent are all important characters, as are Jamie and Jimmy and Keldar and Kalvyn.

The writing itself suffers from a lack of quality as well. Simply put, the writing isn’t engaging. The narrative relies heavily on telling instead of showing. Throughout the story, the plot ceases to move forward as the narrative shifts from story progression to info-dumps; this even occurs in the first few pages where, instead of seeing how Blaine’s powers work, we are told via a long-winded exposition what Blaine’s powers are, how he got them, and who taught him to use them.

On top of the boring writing, there is a serious deficiency in the novel’s focus. Plot devices include monsters from other dimensions, Greek gods, wormholes, giant spiders, magi, shaman, teleportation, astral projection, a council of elders, and time travel, to name a few. Plus, Blaine and his friends are avid pot-heads who once used Blaine’s powers to grow magic pot plants and subsequently run the cartel out of town because they couldn't compete with Blaine and company's low prices. The haphazard incorporation of stoner stereotypes with what seems like every fantasy element known to the genre was overwhelming.

The story had some positive traits, but the majority of those traits were all borrowed from other works. There is the bad guy that needs to take over a body because he only exists in an incorporeal form (Voldemort), and the teenage hero who is hunted by the bad guy because the hero is the reason for the bad guy’s current misfortune (Harry Potter). Blaine is even given an invisibility cloak and an amazing suit of armor made from a metal described very similarly to Mithril. The lack of creativity in the plotting began to feel exasperating and worthy of many an eye-roll.

Regrettably, this novel is still in draft form; the formatting issues, expository writing style, blatant reproduction of ideas, and remarkable lack of focus lead me to give Blaine’s Legacy 1 out of 4 stars. In its current state, I cannot recommend this book.

Blaine's Legacy
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like MarisaRose's review? Post a comment saying so!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Blaine's Legacy" by Scotti Jones
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 232%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Blaine's Legacy by Scotti Jones

Post Number:#2 by jamesokunmd
» 16 Jul 2017, 10:54

Congrats on a very insightful review! Constructive criticism should help the author improve the work product.
jamesokunmd

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 57 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 4%

Post Number:#3 by Athena Moon
» 16 Jul 2017, 11:10

I can only imagine how patient you had to be to finish the book. It does not sound like readable one. Still, thanks for your effort!
Athena Moon's Latest Review: "Lemoncella Cocktail" by Rene Natan
Athena Moon

Favorite Author: Paulo Coelho
Favorite Book: The Lovely Bones
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 30%

Post Number:#4 by charlesjr2
» 16 Jul 2017, 12:29

I think that this review is very helpful. It saves us the stress of actually going through the book
charlesjr2

Currently Reading: My Trip to Adele
Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#5 by Quirinius
» 16 Jul 2017, 12:43

Well more encouraged to read the book from the start of the review.
Quirinius

Favorite Book: The Limitless Real Estate Leader
Currently Reading: Stars in the Darkness
Bookshelf Size: 139 books
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 90%

Post Number:#6 by kandscreeley
» 16 Jul 2017, 13:56

Wow! I'm sorry this book was so disappointing. I hate having to give out 1 star reviews. With all that's wrong (the formatting, character's names being similar, telling instead of showing), I think I'll skip this one!
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Devil's Run" by AR Simmons
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 81 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 64%

Post Number:#7 by Mercy Bolo
» 16 Jul 2017, 20:46

Thank you for being honest. Some books are just unreadable.
Mercy Bolo

Favorite Book: The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching
Currently Reading: The Expansion
Bookshelf Size: 22 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#8 by ButterscotchCherrie
» 17 Jul 2017, 09:35

This was very instructive on some of the pitfalls of self-publishing, or at any rate doing so too soon without the benefit of some sort of beta reading or editing. Excessively similar names, for example, is something a second pair of eyes can spot right away. And yes, it's boring how many Rowling and Tolkien imitators are out there.
ButterscotchCherrie's Latest Review: "The Expelled" by Mois Benarroch
ButterscotchCherrie

Currently Reading: Make Peace with Your Harshest Critic
Bookshelf Size: 24 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Goal Completion: 22%

Post Number:#9 by Pm7lucas
» 17 Jul 2017, 20:51

Thank you for this insightful review. Unfortunately, not every story idea turns out to be a readable book. I find it unbelievably annoying when I find a lot of typos and other mistakes in a book I am trying to read, although if the story is captivating, I will try to ignore the lack of proofreading. Since there are other problems with the story and not just grammar and punctuation mistakes, I think I will skip this one.
Pm7lucas

Currently Reading: The 11.05 Murders
Bookshelf Size: 40 books
Reading Device: Nook HD+ 9
2017 Reading Goal: 70 Books
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#10 by LadyClaire
» 18 Jul 2017, 12:54

boohoo! I get teary-eyed when a seemingly good book turns out to be disappointing. Anyways, thanks for the honest review. Constructive criticisms are always welcome. I think I'll avoid this one.
LadyClaire

Currently Reading: Who Told You That You Were Naked?
Bookshelf Size: 6 books
Goal Completion: 2%

Post Number:#11 by raikyuu
» 18 Jul 2017, 22:38

I'm sure the author can learn from his experiences on how to write a better book. This work doesn't necessarily define him, he can still improve a lot further.

Doesn't anyone notice a male-version mary sue in Blaine's Legacy?
What should I do with my life?

"You don't have to do anything."
raikyuu

Favorite Book: The Republic
Currently Reading: A History of Western Philosophy
Bookshelf Size: 31 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 83%

Post Number:#12 by kipkemboi
» Yesterday, 04:38