The Wheel of Time: Robert Jordan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
verg70
Currently Reading: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Bookshelf Size: 73
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-verg70.html
Latest Review: "The Nobel Prize" by Mois benarroch
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

The Wheel of Time: Robert Jordan

Post by verg70 »

I have finished reading the Sword of Truth series and enjoyed it, so thought I'd come back to this series.

I have previously read the first four books including A New Spring and really enjoyed them, so now that there is an end to the series, I thought that I would start again form the beginning. I've just finished the Eye of the World and still enjoyed it the second time around.

Has anyone finished the series and what are their thoughts, without any plot spoiler please.
JennMck86
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JennMck86 »

My fiancé has read all of these and keeps asking me to read them. I Think I'm going to have to give in soon as I've heard excellent things! He says it's very intense.
verg70

Post by verg70 »

I know this is a late reply, but thanks for responding. I enjoyed the first few and love A New Spring, so hopefully this set will be as good as The Sword of Truth.
rovet
Currently Reading: We Are the Ants
Bookshelf Size: 21
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rovet.html
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein

Post by rovet »

I read the entire series. I feel that in the middle of the series, the books get bogged down with politics and the huge cast of characters. One day takes up almost a whole book becuase there are so many characters! Brian Sanderson did a great job recapturing the plot and bringing the book to a satisfying close.
Latest Review: "Pale Bricks" by K. L. Stein
verg70

Post by verg70 »

The only other series like this read was the Sword of Truth series. In the middle the books got a bit lost, but then the Chainfire trilogy brought it back.

I am looking forward to getting through these, so thanks for the information.
Bluecobia
Currently Reading: Game of Thrones
Bookshelf Size: 55
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bluecobia.html
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert

Post by Bluecobia »

I have never read this series. They always seamed to be so big and daunting. I know if I get started I will want to read all of them and I don't think I have the time.
Latest Review: The miner by F.Robert
mslion
Bookshelf Size: 5
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mslion.html
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.

Post by mslion »

I have read the wheel of time series twice. Or to be more precise, I have listened to the audio book version twice. When I looked through the Internet there were a lot of people who liked it mainly because of its focus on detail. Of course as with anything as subjective as books, there were as many people who hated the series exactly for the same reason. I myself really enjoyed the series and highly recommend the audio books. As for people who think that it is to long: Think of it as a TV series with every book a season and every chapter an episode. That might make it easier to go through the slower middle books.
Latest Review: "A Kingdom Forgotten" by Charles W. McDonald Jr.
Alimc1030
Currently Reading: The Bellringer
Bookshelf Size: 23
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-alimc1030.html
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty

Post by Alimc1030 »

I love the series! I started the books my sophomore year in highschool. My stepdad had given me the 1st three in the series. It sucked that the original author had died and I know that Brandon Sanderson did what he could with the notes that Robert left him but I could tell that there was a difference in styles when Brandon picked up the series. When I finished the series a couple of years ago when the last book was released I didn't really appreciate the ending but lately I have thought about re-reading the last book.
Latest Review: "Solaris Seethes (Solaris Saga book 1)" by Janet McNulty
EneiaK9

Post by EneiaK9 »

When I read the the first time round, I loved them, but won't read then again too soon. They are a bit too descriptive.
Chelsy Scherba
In It Together VIP
Favorite Author: Jordan David
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 837
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-chelsy-scherba.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman
fav_author_id: 64963

Post by Chelsy Scherba »

I keep getting stuck in the middle of The Knife of Dreams. I love this series, I just haven't finished it! I did finish Sword of Truth, but then Goodkind wrote more books! Lol. So I'm back at square one.
Lysander99
Currently Reading:
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lysander99.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison

Post by Lysander99 »

Hmmm this series reminds me of conflicting emotions of love and hate. Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time Series has a great beginning and introduces awe inspiring lore and history to the series. The characters Jordan created were unique and awesome and i thought were destined to be legends in modern fantasy lore.

Alas for whatever reason Jordan prolonged the series and expanded the lore and history to points i felt were bordering on ridiculousness and i grew to seriously dislike the series. Especially the books where minor political characters were in essence the entire focus of not one but a series of books.

But in the end i found Brian Sanderson did a great job wrapping up the series. I just wish that someone would come out with an edited or rewritten version of this series so i could recommend it to someone or reread it myself.
Wordforawhile
Favorite Author: Robert Jordan
Currently Reading: Darkfall
Bookshelf Size: 38
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-wordforawhile.html
Latest Review: Fish Wielder by J.R.R.R. (Jim) Hardison
fav_author_id: 2419

Post by Wordforawhile »

Lysander99 wrote: 09 Feb 2018, 18:37 Alas for whatever reason Jordan prolonged the series and expanded the lore and history to points i felt were bordering on ridiculousness and i grew to seriously dislike the series. Especially the books where minor political characters were in essence the entire focus of not one but a series of books.
I completely understand your feelings here. I really enjoyed this series, it took me a few tries to get into it as i felt the intro dragged a bit, and i did struggle some in the middle books. I thought the whole issue with Rand trying to figure out which of the issues to take care of first while in Tear was drawn out much longer then it needed to be. Especially since one of the issues was rebels in a marsh, a marsh that served no function for the country and which he easily had the power to burn to the ground and solve the issue of them hiding instantly. It picks back up in the last 3 or 4 books and remains to this day one of my favorite series overall.
Strongbob25
Currently Reading: Maskerade
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-strongbob25.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by Strongbob25 »

I read the first book in this series and enjoyed it, although I found it a bit similar to Lord of the Rings. The sheer length of the series is really daunting for me though, and I've not picked up the second one for several years!
pinefamily
Currently Reading: Magician
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by pinefamily »

Like the author, Robert Jordan, I never finished the series. I got stuck on book 4 I think. There was a lot of repetition, and the story was getting bogged down a little, IMO. I do plan to tackle them again, now that I know there is an end to the series.
Slightly off-topic, I did enjoy Jordan's Conan stories. Some of the best post-Howard ones written, capturing the same feel as the originals.
Kieran_Obrien
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 10
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kieran-obrien.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by Kieran_Obrien »

Got through 3 of them... it was a struggle. I kept waiting for something amazing to happen and while I do enjoy the 3 main characters, it's difficult to trudge through the heaps of info being thrown at you every book.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”