The Wheel of Time: Robert Jordan

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Mailis
Currently Reading: The Employee Millionaire
Bookshelf Size: 58
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mailis.html
Latest Review: There and Back There Again by Andrew Alsup
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Re: The Wheel of Time: Robert Jordan

Post by Mailis »

I remember I had this really sad longish period where I couldn't find any fantasy books/series for a while that I truly loved and then I stumbled on Robert Jordan series and I was hooked. I was up all night reading all the time and walked to few walls because I was so tired, during the day. :)
LottieLovesBooks
Currently Reading: The Chronicles Of Kerrigan
Bookshelf Size: 6
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by LottieLovesBooks »

I have read halfway through the first book, makes me want to go back to it now. I shall try and finish this book and carry on. I remember when I bought the book in Waterstones and someone who worked their at the till told me that The Wheel Of Time is a good book. lol
Ameesa
Favorite Author: Brandon Sanderson
Currently Reading: Fish Wielder
Bookshelf Size: 182
Reading Device: 1400697484
fav_author_id: 4040

Post by Ameesa »

I have read and listen to the entire series about 30-40 times combined. Every time a new book in the series was soon to be published, I reread what there was so far. Anytime I was in the mood for something big to read, I reread the series. At my desk at work, I listened many times to the series while I worked. I had a few hospital stays after the replacements of 4 joints in my legs, and reread them or listened to them then. I definitely enjoy the books. Jordan's world building is an undertaking of an amazing scale.

The first book was, in some ways, the hardest to get through. It's pretty much a typical quest story. It's not until you get into the second book and the 5 main characters from Emond's Field start splitting off to do their own part in the world, that you begin to see the depths of the stories. I won't say I loved all the characters and everything they did, but the story was truly epic.
Eryn Bradshaw
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 71
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eryn-bradshaw.html
Latest Review: The Witchstone by Victoria Randall

Post by Eryn Bradshaw »

I've started the first book and I really don't see the hype. I had a few people recommend it and I got it for Christmas a while back and never really picked it up until now. I got about 100 pages in and was extremely bored with the pacing of the book and perplexed about how a teenage boy noticed every detail of a woman down to the ring she was wearing. I've heard it gets better, but I'm struggling with wanting to actually give up my time to read the book.
Michael Lilly
Currently Reading: The Goose Girl
Bookshelf Size: 547
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-michael-lilly.html
Latest Review: The Elf Brief by Jordan David

Post by Michael Lilly »

I have read and re-read the first 7 books of the series at least twice, and the entire series at least once, and it is actually one of the few series that I wholeheartedly recommend (The Lord of the Rings is another). I am even in the process of collecting the whole of the series in hardback,I enjoy it that much. It is definitely a Political Fantasy, and once it is viewed in this way, enjoying the slowness of its pacing becomes possible. The apparent slowness of the pace, when matched up against the many alliances, and dispersed settings, makes sense to me in a way few epic fantasy series that make a similar attempt at a world-spanning setting do. Please enjoy the 14 book of the series!
Jezebelle84
Favorite Author: Patricia Briggs
Currently Reading: The Complete Grimm's Fairy Tales
Bookshelf Size: 2298
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jezebelle84.html
Latest Review: That Guy What Kill Topsy by Peter Wood Cotterill
fav_author_id: 4314

Post by Jezebelle84 »

I'm currently rereading this series. I first read it years ago before Knife of Dreams was published. I'm on book 4 now, which isn't that good in terms of how much reading I'm getting done. I started the series in January. I should be further along, but that's not really the topic of this thread. Anyway, I remember liking the series a great deal and recommending to others. Going into it the second time, I really don't remember much of it except a few random details, one of which happens in like book 10. I think that if this was my first time reading the series, I would have stopped by now. My reading tastes have changed since I first read the series and honestly, a lot of the female characters make me want to slap them. The detail I remember from book 10 is what is keeping me going. I remember it being something of a jaw dropper and I need to know what comes next.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”