Official Review: The Devil's Dragon by Jason F Boggs

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
You must limit each topic thread in this section to only one book or only one series. Make the title of the topic the name of the book, and if possible also include the author's name. If you want to allow spoilers, you must include the word spoilers in the title of the topic, otherwise spoilers are prohibited.
Miche Sora
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 58
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 5">Silence Fallen</a>
Currently Reading: Volatile Bonds
Bookshelf Size: 94
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miche-sora.html
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

Official Review: The Devil's Dragon by Jason F Boggs

Post by Miche Sora » 08 Jul 2017, 16:45

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

The Devil’s Dragon by Jason F Boggs is a sci-fi novel told in third person from the viewpoint of multiple characters. It’s fair to warn everyone that this story is a bit long, but it’s worth the time and effort to read.

“it’s us or them.” It’s the human race versus the Aesini race, set on earth and in Aesini air space approximately 100 years in the future. This conflict is embodied in the two main characters of the novel, Nelson and Alene. Nelson Jones is an army recruit who goes over to the dark side when he signs up with the Paladins, who report to Jason Freeman, the devil himself. Freeman uses the Aesini threat to achieve his goal of dominating the earth and beyond as its sole leader. Alene is the daughter of one of the Aesini tribal chieftains who believes in the “new way” of the Aesini; she and her followers don’t believe that the gods have abandoned the Aesini. They try to stop the current Aesini king’s advisor from usurping the throne. Inevitably, the two races are headed toward war once the Aesini gate opens near earth.

There is a lot to like about this book, such as a complex plot, a lot of action, sympathetic and well-rounded characters, plenty of interesting minor characters, good world building, and some surprises at the end. This is also a sweeping novel in terms of social commentary. The story takes on totalitarianism in the Nazi-like behavior of Freeman and his sycophants, Christianity in the “new way” of the Aesini, human greed by waging the war on both the human and Aesini sides for power and control, and racism in the conflict between humans and the Aesini. I thoroughly enjoyed the story, as well as the social commentary.

All that being said, the book has two major issues that can’t be ignored. The first is that there has been zero proofreading done. There are so many typographical and grammatical errors that it makes the book hard to read. Apart from chapter headings, there isn’t a single page that has less than five errors, and some of the errors are as imaginative as the plot. There is everything from misspellings, incorrect word choice and incorrect use of quotes to the longest run-on sentence I’ve ever encountered in any kind of literature. It goes on for eight lines of an 8.5 x 11 document, and is something to behold. The second issue is that the book is disorganized. It needs more chapters and fewer changes of point of view within each chapter. Some chapters are like watching a tennis match because there are so many changes in points of view with no warning. Sometimes I’d be halfway through the paragraph before I realized that a different character from the prior paragraph was speaking or thinking. There needs to be some kind of differentiation between the changing points of view, as well as a reduction of the number of changes, within each chapter to make it easier to follow the story.

If I could, I’d give this book 2.5 stars: 1 out of 4 for all of the errors, and 4 out of 4 for the story. Since the story was good enough to make a grammar Nazi like me overlook the errors and keep reading, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. If nothing else, a good proofreading would make the story much easier to read and that much more enjoyable.

The Devil's Dragon
View: on Bookshelves

Like Miche Sora's review? Post a comment saying so!
She reads books
as one would breathe air,
to fill up and live.

--Annie Dillard
Latest Review: "The Devil's Dragon" by Jason F Boggs

kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
2019 Reading Goal: 95
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 9
2018 Reading Goal: 115
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 94
2017 Reading Goal: 100
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 244
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Reel Sisters by Michelle Cummings

Post by kandscreeley » 19 Jul 2017, 10:33

I do dislike something that is so disorganized and error ridden. It does sound like a good story, though. So, I'm torn on this one. Thanks for the review, though.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway

Nuuxkey
2018 Reading Goal: 0
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 0
2017 Reading Goal: 0
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Nuuxkey » 19 Jul 2017, 13:42

I really like the web

LadyClaire
2017 Reading Goal: 50
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 4
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire » 19 Jul 2017, 15:48

I'm almost like: "I don't know what to say".
A good story poorly worded.I think I need a whole day to make up my mind(smiles).
Anyways, thanks for the review, Miche.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Nahashonmurray
Currently Reading: The Limitless Real Estate Leader
Bookshelf Size: 12

Post by Nahashonmurray » 20 Jul 2017, 07:52

This book drives ones imagination into an unknown world and you cant help but get lost in the moment. incredible!!

Quirinius
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 94
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 65134">The Limitless Real Estate Leader</a>
Currently Reading: Sylvio: Past and Present
Bookshelf Size: 176
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by Quirinius » 20 Jul 2017, 08:43

Haven't gotten the really message of the book but still nice review....

Dj Hoodrich
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by Dj Hoodrich » 20 Jul 2017, 17:22

It’s the human race versus the Aesini race,Insane theme,,

Romeywuss
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Romeywuss » 25 Jul 2017, 04:23

I've just read this, wow is it a POWERFUL story!

The Researcher
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 162
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 102
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher » 03 Aug 2017, 02:07

Nice review! Plot sounds interesting, too bad it has so many editing errors.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing

Miriam Molina
Previous Member of the Month
2019 Reading Goal: 50
2019 Reading Goal Completion: 2
2018 Reading Goal: 48
2018 Reading Goal Completion: 158
2017 Reading Goal: 36
2017 Reading Goal Completion: 125
Currently Reading: A Stained White Radiance
Bookshelf Size: 551
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-miriam-molina.html
Latest Review: Dear American Brother by Joe J. Elder
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Miriam Molina » 14 Aug 2017, 22:13

For a story to still merit 3 stars from a grammar Nazi, it must be phenomenal. I hope the author can have it professionally edited. Otherwise, what a waste!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”