Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: The Intrepid by Jeff Tellier

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: The Intrepid by Jeff Tellier

Post Number:#1 by Mollymae
» 06 Jul 2017, 07:22

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier.]

Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Review by Mollymae
Share This Review

The Intrepid is a fictionalized account of the discovery of a new, very intelligent species of cat in the Arctic. Written by Jeff Tellier, the story follows the cats as they migrate to Africa.

The protagonist is Ridge Garwold, a documentarian for a wildlife network. On a trip to the Arctic to film the effects of climate change on polar bears, he inadvertently comes across a new species of animal. He immediately starts filming and notices these cats are not like any others he’s studied. The animals, or Garwolds as he named them, have decided to migrate to Africa where they hope to find abundant food. Ridge decides to transport them while documenting the relocation and adaptation to their new environment. Once the Garwolds arrive, they encounter both predators and poachers as they establish a new territory.

The theme of the story is both interesting and relevant. When I started the book, I thought it might make a great read for young people to teach about the devastating effects of climate change. The plight of animals with how or even if they can survive in a warmer climate is timely. This would be an especially pertinent lesson given current events. However, the middle of the book incorporated graphic sex and violence that limited the fiction to a more mature audience.

The two main characters in the story are Ridge Garwold and his boss, Daphne Bain. They have a rather heated affair that feels out of sync with the rest of the story. Daphne is repeatedly described as beautiful, sexy, and powerful but we know very little about how she thinks or feels. The cast also includes some mercenaries called in to fight off the poachers. Although two are killed, they have not been developed as characters so it’s hard to feel the impact their death should have caused.

The book was written from a first person perspective alternating chapters between the cats and the documentarian. The animals, Sven, Thor, Sasha, and Kayla were extremely intelligent. However, I felt there was a plausibility problem. These cats understood Darwin, frequently debated the best course of action, and had a very well developed moral ethic. Even though they were unfamiliar with modern modes of transportation, the animals had no problem jumping on both a jeep and an airplane as they instinctively knew the machine's function. I felt the fiction lacked an explanation that would have led me to believe in the possibility that it could have really happened.

The author had a few tense and spelling errors throughout but not enough to take away from the story. I was somewhat distracted by repeated phrases or ideas. Daphne had a tendency to grab Ridge’s arm and It was mentioned more than a dozen times. The species was named after the protagonist and the reader was reminded of that fact throughout. I have rated this book at 2 out of 4 stars. Although I liked the author’s message, I feel the story generally lacked believability.

The Intrepid
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like Mollymae's review? Post a comment saying so!
Mollymae's Latest Review: "The Intrepid" by Jeff Tellier
Mollymae

Currently Reading: Beartown
Bookshelf Size: 40 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: The Intrepid by Jeff Tellier

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 28 Jul 2017, 07:21

Yeah, I don't think I'd really like this book. Thanks for the review, but I'm pretty sure I'll avoid it.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 88 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 71%

Post Number:#3 by ZenaLei7
» 28 Jul 2017, 16:51

It's too bad that the story lacked believability. I don't think I would be interested in this book, but great job on the review!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7's Latest Review: "Strong Heart" by Charlie Sheldon
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 52 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 46%

Post Number:#4 by The Researcher
» 01 Aug 2017, 00:03

Very intriguing plot. But I think it is more over the counter thinking that a cat knows how a plane or car functions. It is little difficult to believe. May be I am going to find out while reading the book. Your review made me curious regarding these cats.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
The Researcher's Latest Review: "The Dancing Barber" by AC Michael
The Researcher

Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 95 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle (E-Ink)
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 158%

Post Number:#5 by testing123456
» 04 Aug 2017, 06:38

Great review!
testing123456

Bookshelf Size: 0 books
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#6 by kimmyschemy06
» Yesterday, 08:17

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds very promising. Too bad about the errors. Moreover, it sounds a little unrealistic and unconvincing. Good job on the review.
kimmyschemy06

Currently Reading: God Without Religion
Bookshelf Size: 328 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books
Goal Completion: 82%