Official Review: Traveller Inceptio by Rob Shackleford

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Official Review: Traveller Inceptio by Rob Shackleford

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Traveller Inceptio" by Rob Shackleford.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

There are many books written about the concept of time travel as this is one of the dimensions that humans cannot yet control. Traveller Inceptio, written by Rob Shackleford is one such book; it is a work of fiction and belongs to the sci- fi/ fantasy genre.

A group of university students is funded and given the task to build a remote scanner and sensor. While working on this project something happens to the machine, and instead of scanning the object, it makes it disappear. The students eventually discover that they have actually created a time travel machine. However, the machine is only able to transport them to 1000 years in the past.

When the world hears of this news, everybody wants a piece of this pie. Several countries come together to bring their strongest and brightest military men and train them vicariously for a proposed travel back in time.

The men are given the best military training to ensure their safety for their journey back to the past. The men grow their facial hair, take lessons in the old Saxon language and cultural norms. They are equipped with hidden cameras and recording devices to record their surrounding and to give regular feedback. They seem fully prepared for the adventure and immersion into Medieval Saxon England society 1000 years before. Yet the one thing that no one has considered, is the human factor.

One of the men trained for the task, Michael, travels to a village in Medieval Saxon England. Here he meets with a monk, Brother Oeric, who takes him back to his monastery. Michael successfully immerses himself in the small town Giolgrave. He reports back his surroundings and the happenings in the town. Yet, he also gets to know the people around him on a personal level. This is when we realize that this is not merely a scientific experiment but affects the men and the people they meet.

The book is presented in such a way, that each alternate chapter is about two different points in the story. The first situation describes a man who comes across a village and stays with the monks of the village, and the other situation describes the research and development of what becomes known as the Transporter, the time travel machine. The story moves between the traveler who is experiencing life 1000 years ago and the present day.

There were several scenes that some readers may find disturbing due to their intense violence, however since this book does take place in the medieval times this kind of violence would have seemed normal.

I liked this book because it was very well written and kept me interested and absorbed. The concept of time travel has always interested me, and this book gave a glimpse of how this concept could work. I would recommend this book to anyone who enjoys reading a good sci-fi/fantasy book or those who wonder how life was like during Medieval Saxon England. However, I found many spelling errors throughout the book and this was quite a distraction when reading. For this reason, I rate this book 3 out of 4 stars. I suggest the author send the book to an editor, this will improve the quality of his book markedly.

Traveller Inceptio
View: on Bookshelves

Like stoppoppingtheP's review? Post a comment saying so!

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

This sounds like quite an interesting take on time travel. I've never been hugely into time travel, but I might have to look at this one. I did enjoy your review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

Oh yes, the concept of time travel is intriguing! I am tempted to read this one because of your review.
Nice review, stoppoppingtheP.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Abd-Elrhman
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Song for Night
Bookshelf Size: 5
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by Abd-Elrhman »

Great book which takes you in an interesting adventure
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Very Interesting review. Time travel is one of my favourite genre. I may read this book.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Quinto
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 704
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-quinto.html
Latest Review: The Longfellah's Son: An Almost True Irish Story by Michael Cassidy

Post by Quinto »

I enjoy reading sci-fi novels more specifically with adventure themed story lines. This particular read will be a boon because of an adventure back in time to saxon England. This combination will simply be an out of this world experience for me. Thanks for a great review that will make this a natural read for me.
stoppoppingtheP
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Adriana Trigiani
Favorite Book: The Hand of Fatima
Currently Reading: High Low In-Between
Bookshelf Size: 162
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stoppoppingthep.html
Latest Review: If I Only Knew by Kim Simmons
fav_author_id: 8071

Post by stoppoppingtheP »

Thanks for all the positive comments. I really did enjoy reading this book and I'm sure you will too.

“there have been so many times
i have seen a man wanting to weep
but
instead
beat his heart until it was unconscious.

-masculine”

― Nayyirah Waheed
Amagine
Favorite Author: James Patterson
Bookshelf Size: 721
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-amagine.html
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG
fav_author_id: 3251

Post by Amagine »

I've also have always been interested in the concept of time traveling. This one sounds like an interesting read.

Great Review! ?
"Piglet noticed that even though he had a very small heart, it could hold a rather large amount of gratitude." -A.A Milne

"I am grateful for all the books that sparked my imagination." -Unknown
Latest Review: "Salome and Gogo visit Soweto" by Cora Groenewald
ritah
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 03345">The Darziods' Stone</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 184
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ritah.html
Latest Review: The Secrets To Living A Fantastic Life... by Dr. Allen Lycka & Harriet Tinka

Post by ritah »

This book sounds so interesting, I too, love the concept of time travel. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”