Official Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Official Review: Herai by Aaron D Key

Post by Jaime Lync »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Herai" by Aaron D Key.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Herai by Aaron D. Key is an engrossing read that keeps both the emotions and intellect in suspense. Although this is Key’s first published novel, he masterfully weaves a thought-provoking tale of crime, romance, betrayal, war, family ties and a yearning for freedom. I admit that I was not captivated by the story from the start, but I was soon entertained by Key’s intriguing writing.

The premise of the novel may not seem very original. Fortunately, Key integrates a myriad of plot twist and mysteries into the story. A mysterious being is watching two alternative realities. He claims that ‘one of the old ones’ is dead in one of the worlds but still alive in the other world, ‘the better place’. In both of these worlds Herai, the youngest daughter of the leader of the underground city in which most of the story transpires, has just reached adulthood. According to legends, the underground city protects the residents from the savage outsiders. However, in one reality Herai is brutally attacked in the city. In the other reality, Herai is sent to the outside to negotiate with the outsiders to avoid an impending war. In which world is 'the old one' still alive and how does his presence influence the events? Read Herai and find out!

The thing that I loved most about this book was the cast of characters. The author creates realistic characters with flaws, doubts, strengths, and weaknesses. I also loved the different perspectives the author employed. Most of the book was written in the omniscient third person. This seemed necessary to keep a sense of suspense as the story progressed. Key did an amazing job hiding the mastermind behind Herai's attack in the city. No one in the main cast of characters was beyond suspicion. Additionally, there are portions of the story that are told through Herai's perspective. I was able to experience her emotions and think her thoughts. This really made me root for Herai and hope for her well-being.

It would be remiss of me not to mention that in one of the realities a homosexual relationship was established. There are some readers who would want to avoid a story if some of the main characters are homosexuals. Fortunately, the author did not include any explicit sexual scenes. Moreover, although this book has a very conclusive ending, the author is currently writing a sequel to this novel. I am not sure how many books will be in the series but it seems that the sequel will not be the last.

In conclusion, I rate Herai 4 out of 4 stars. There are virtually no grammatical flaws in Key’s work and the only editorial error that is worth mentioning is that my copy had the table of contents at the end of the book. The only thing that might annoy readers is that this book is not one that you are attached to from the first chapter. However, I guarantee that Herai is worth reading.

Herai
View: on Bookshelves

Like Jaime Lync's review? Post a comment saying so!
spreadlove
Bookshelf Size: 4
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spreadlove.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by spreadlove »

Thankyou for such a detailed review. I would surely look into this book. Great work

Love,
R.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks for reading and commenting Spreadlove.
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

Your review is so engrossing, you've pulled me in enough to want to read this book. Thanks for the great review. Im definitely adding Herai to my bookshelf.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Kelebogile Mbangi wrote:Your review is so engrossing, you've pulled me in enough to want to read this book. Thanks for the great review. Im definitely adding Herai to my bookshelf.

Wow! That means a lot to me. Appreciate your feedback.
felixtimon
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by felixtimon »

What a great work you've done, I can see it just from your awesome review. Herai to me seems so interesting.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

felixtimon wrote:What a great work you've done, I can see it just from your awesome review. Herai to me seems so interesting.
Thanks so much for reading and commenting. Glad you liked it.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Well this sounds unique. I love the alternate realities as well as the realistic characters. I'm glad you enjoyed this one so much. I'll still have to think about this one a little more. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Ayegbami Habeeb
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Ayegbami Habeeb »

bBy reading the reviews from the official it's looks like a true life story.
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

Adding the book to my shelf right away. Thank you
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
Manang Muyang
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book:
Currently Reading: Donny and Mary Grace's California Adventures
Bookshelf Size: 686
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-manang-muyang.html
Latest Review: Your Great Name by Shawn Funk
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by Manang Muyang »

Hi Jaime. Herai seems to be an intriguing story that straddles all genres, plus an LGBT flavor. It looks like Key discovered the key to success. Thanks for your insightful review.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

Thanks everyone for reading and commenting on my review.
BookishBookkeeping
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... =6703">The Count of Monte Cristo</a>
Currently Reading: Atlas Shrugged
Bookshelf Size: 79
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookishbookkeeping.html
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
Reading Device: B00KC6I06S

Post by BookishBookkeeping »

I find that some really good books start off slow such as "Jane Eyre" but then you find yourself unable to put it down. Thank you for the well written review. I'm glad the author leaves out sexually explicit scenes whether it's heterosexual or homosexual. To often it takes away from the story.
Latest Review: "Superhighway" by Alex Fayman
jamesokunmd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesokunmd.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by jamesokunmd »

Excellent review. Very comorehensive . Definitely will read this one! Great job.
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:

Post by Jaime Lync »

BookishBookkeeping wrote:I find that some really good books start off slow such as "Jane Eyre" but then you find yourself unable to put it down. Thank you for the well written review. I'm glad the author leaves out sexually explicit scenes whether it's heterosexual or homosexual. To often it takes away from the story.
Thanks for reading and commenting. I agree that sexual explicit scenes often subtract from the book

jamesokunmd wrote:Excellent review. Very comorehensive . Definitely will read this one! Great job.
Thanks for reading and commenting. Appreciate it.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”