Official Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
noorsawhney
Currently Reading: The Hobbit
Bookshelf Size: 185
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-noorsawhney.html
Latest Review: "Aluria" by Tyler Cook

Official Review: Aluria by Tyler Cook

Post by noorsawhney »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Aluria" by Tyler Cook.]
Book Cover
1 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Aluria centres around Jason Conner, the heroic protagonist of this novel. Once an innocent teenager, he merges his soul with an ancient spirit named Aluria to save his love Tessa and his life changes forever. He trains to become stronger and more powerful in order to protect his beloved city Canton, where he assumes the role of a vigilante and works to defend the citizens from the evil Raiz who is desperate to destroy his loved ones.

One of the first things that I noticed about this book were the descriptions. Or rather, the lack of. Setting the scene and creating an atmosphere is crucial to a good novel, but I felt that the majority of the text was dialogue or Jason’s internal thoughts. These things are obviously important, but the key is to have a good balance between description and dialogue and the imbalance in Aluria took away from my reading experience. I was not able to visualise the world that the author had created and as a result, my interest levels slowly decreased as I progressed.

The language, unfortunately, was also a disappointment. There were some uses of terribly basic vocabulary such as describing Tessa as having “white skin” and “white teeth”. This example is perhaps the worst but nevertheless fairly representative of other instances in the book. In addition, some phrases used by the author were so cliché I actually put the book down in frustration. “Sinister laugh” and “black as night” were among said phrases and I honestly would not expect to find these anywhere other than a children’s book. Furthermore, the dialogue spoken between the characters was quite unnatural in my opinion and it almost seemed forced for the convenience of the plot. For example, in a scene where the villain is revealing his true identity, the other person present asks exactly the right questions to get him to explain the back story that the reader needs to hear to understand further.

Another main aspect of the book that did not meet my expectations were the characters. They came across to me as very one-dimensional: they did not have distinct personalities and voices and almost seemed robotic as a result. The voice that came through all of the characters’ thoughts and speech was very similar, leading me to believe that the author has inadvertently written in his own voice. The lack of development in the characters, as well as stemming from problems with the writing, is also one of the many problems that come from the length of the book. Aluria is around 250 pages – quite short for a novel – and so there was very little space for the characters to develop their own voices and personalities.

I believe that the length of this book has resulted in issues that could have been solved had the author written a longer book. Aluria is simple - too simple, in fact - and it is this lack of complexity that meant that the novel did not have important detail, well-shaped characters or realism. The whole storyline felt so rushed because of aspects such as Jason’s “life energy” not being discussed properly, the general omission of description I mentioned earlier and not really giving the reader enough time to connect with the characters. 250 pages meant that the book should have been a quick read but, for me, it was not. I found it difficult to continue because it was not gripping and I often put it down to do other things.

The one thing I did like about this book was the idea behind it. I have read many fantasy books but I have never read anything like Aluria, which I must give credit to the author for. However, what I read seemed more like a draft than a published novel but I can see it developing more and more and eventually becoming a real success.

At this point in time, however, I regret to say that I rate it 1 out of 4 stars. For me, it did not have the makings of a good book for lack of description, underdeveloped characters and simplicity. All these negatives really overshadowed the unique idea and I was forced to give it a low rating because of this. If you are not bothered by the elements that let me down, then I would recommend this book to fans of the fantasy genre above others.

Aluria
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on iTunes | on Smashwords

Like noorsawhney's review? Post a comment saying so!
“Nolite te bastardes carborundorum"
Wilson2468
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Wilson2468 »

I think this is a great book.... We should have more books like this.
BestReviews
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 2">Walking In Blind: A Collection of Poetry</a>
Bookshelf Size: 15
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bestreviews.html
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka

Post by BestReviews »

After reading your review I am really interested in knowing more about the character "Jason Conner". This book will be on my shelf soon.

Thank you for the review.
Latest Review: "That Place of Knowledge" by Philip Alan Shalka
arjunrai

Post by arjunrai »

A thorough and honest review. This is able to confront the issues in the book and give an accurate assessment of its shortcomings. Excellent review.
noorsawhney

Post by noorsawhney »

Wilson2468 wrote:I think this is a great book.... We should have more books like this.
That's interesting that your opinion is so different to mine. What did you think was great about this book?

-- 04 Jul 2017, 09:55 --
BestReviews wrote:After reading your review I am really interested in knowing more about the character "Jason Conner". This book will be on my shelf soon.

Thank you for the review.
Thank you for reading it!

-- 04 Jul 2017, 09:56 --
arjunrai wrote:A thorough and honest review. This is able to confront the issues in the book and give an accurate assessment of its shortcomings. Excellent review.
Thanks for reading it :')
Winverlyn pontiveros

Post by Winverlyn pontiveros »

When I read your review, I also agree about how the author describe the characters but let's us not forget that this story is some kind of fantasy.
noorsawhney

Post by noorsawhney »

Winverlyn pontiveros wrote:When I read your review, I also agree about how the author describe the characters but let's us not forget that this story is some kind of fantasy.
I don't really think that it being of the fantasy genre should be an excuse for lack of development in characters, but that's just my opinion!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: Believarexic
Bookshelf Size: 486
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It definitely does seem like an interesting concept. It's too bad, though, that the author did not develop it well. Hopefully, the book will continue to be edited and progress. Thanks for the review.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
noorsawhney

Post by noorsawhney »

kandscreeley wrote:It definitely does seem like an interesting concept. It's too bad, though, that the author did not develop it well. Hopefully, the book will continue to be edited and progress. Thanks for the review.
Thank you very much for reading it!
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

That was a very honest review. The premise sounds promising. Too bad, though, about the total execution of the book.
Mercelle
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 10262">The Wisdom and Peace of the Teachings of the Tao Te Ching</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 204
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mercelle.html
Latest Review: The Future of Finance and Money by K. Braeden Anderson

Post by Mercelle »

Quite the contrast, considering that someone else rated it 4 out of 4 stars. I feel your sentiments though. There is massive room for improvement.
"The minimum requirement for a dream is a safe place to lay your head."
~OluTimehin Adegbeye
Cara Van Heerden
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 39
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-cara-van-heerden.html
Latest Review: The Prize by Geoffrey M Cooper
Reading Device: B0147LDSG0

Post by Cara Van Heerden »

I just finished reading Aluria myself, and I have agree with all your points. Although I rated this book 2 instead of 1, because I was rather impressed by the idea behind it and the basic plotline if you look at it separately from the character development. Still, the poor quality made it difficult to like this book no matter how much I wanted to like it. In the end, it fails to deliver on a great idea.
“If we find ourselves with a desire that nothing in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that we were made for another world.” - C.S. Lewis

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”