Official Review: Bad Boy Elf by EA Turley

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
L_Therese
Currently Reading: American Psycho
Bookshelf Size: 1970
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-l-therese.html
Latest Review: The Middle Ages by Jane Chance

Official Review: Bad Boy Elf by EA Turley

Post by L_Therese »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bad Boy Elf" by EA Turley.]
Book Cover
2 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Zipping through his Elf Realm home on his motorcycle, Calpernicus’ life was turned upside down when a Fey Witch literally stumbled into his path. The resulting accident seemed fairly minor, but when the witch took umbrage and cursed Cal, she set off a string of events that would both cause Cal to need to live among the humans and produce repercussions even at the highest levels in multiple supernatural realms. As Cal navigates his radically-changed life, he must search for a way to reverse the curse and, for reasons unknown to him, search for his one true mate as well.

Bad Boy Elf by E. A. Turley is the fourth book in the Destined Dates series and combines the fantasy and romance genres. If my reader is anything like me, the phrase “fourth book” in that sentence just set off alarm bells. Before you stop reading the review, let me first assure you that this is a book that can stand alone. I haven’t read any of the previous three books in this series, and I never once felt like I was missing any vital information.

The best part of Ms. Turley’s story is its sense of humor. This isn’t a novel that takes itself too seriously. Even as it uses common tropes like a bad boy with a motorcycle, a supernaturally fated mate, or a werewolf with aggression issues, the usage feels more utilitarian or pragmatic than most other incidents of these devices. These are tools, not plot points. The author challenges the reader to accept a different idea of normal for these supernatural beings and learn to face challenges from this new paradigm. Without becoming satire, the author turns some of the common assumptions of the genre on their heads.

While this is fun, one downfall of the humor is that the writing sometimes seems juvenile or under-developed. Not all of the characters seemed adequately rounded, and there were several side-plots that were perhaps too swiftly and neatly resolved. Some of the subplots were even resolved in the literary equivalent of off-camera. There is also not a lot of world-building, although the reader will get enough of a general idea to understand what is happening with the plot. Notably, there is one scene that actually makes this book unsuitable for juvenile readers, as it is rather explicit in nature.

Bad Boy Elf is a quick read. It’s a short book with a plot that develops very rapidly. Because of the humorous tone, readers who do not normally choose books in this genre may find it enjoyable, but many might be put off by the frank lack of nuance that seems to be the flip-side of that particular coin. Readers who truly love the fantasy-romance genre may not enjoy the book because it moves too quickly to explore the world, creatures, characters, and subtleties that bring life to that genre. I rate the book 2 out of 4 stars. I appreciate the sense of humor, but the execution of the book could have been more sophisticated in order to appeal more to an adult audience.

Bad Boy Elf
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like L_Therese's review? Post a comment saying so!
Juliet Esther
Currently Reading: That place of knowledge
Bookshelf Size: 231
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-juliet-esther.html
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole

Post by Juliet Esther »

Thanks for the nice review. The review begins with a very interesting insight but then sets me off in the middle,I would like to read this book despite it's shortcomings and I hope I would enjoy it just as much.
Latest Review: "Raven's Peak" by Lincoln Cole
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I like that it's short and fast paced, but even the cover is an indicator that it might not be brilliant. I kind of expected the undeveloped writing style.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

The book certainly has a nice touch to it although I get pissed out by books with plots that develop rapidly.
Thanks for the review,L.
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Kelebogile Mbangi
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 123
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kelebogile-mbangi.html
Latest Review: At Day's End, I'll Always Be Me by Jerry A. Greenberg

Post by Kelebogile Mbangi »

A cursed elf... From the cover of the book he does look like a bad boy. Interesting plot. Thank you for the review.
"And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)
KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!" - Dr. Seuss
debrah
Currently Reading: Contact and Conflict
Bookshelf Size: 3

Post by debrah »

an intresting read and a captivating book cover
debrah
Currently Reading: Contact and Conflict

Post by debrah »

an intresting read and a captivating book cover
mikaelamae
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by mikaelamae »

good choice of cover front of the book...
BedieB
Currently Reading: Blood of your Blood
Bookshelf Size: 16

Post by BedieB »

This book was very good, I enjoyed the story line and will love reading more from EA Turley
Forkan

Post by Forkan »

Great book.I enjoyed it :-)
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

I like the sense of humor as well. It's too bad the execution wasn't better. Thanks for the review, though.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Malgaase
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by Malgaase »

It's not too fascinating but I like the fact that it's not too long.

I rate it 2 out of 4 stars

-- 01 Aug 2017, 07:58 --

It's not too fascinating but I like the fact that it's not too long.

I rate it 2 out of 4 stars
Kinnera
Currently Reading: Escape
Bookshelf Size: 57
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kinnera.html
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin

Post by Kinnera »

Thanks for the review. It does sound like an interesting premise, but rather disappointing to see it wasn't executed well.
Latest Review: "A Faithful Son" by Michael Scott Garvin
Afuglsan
Currently Reading: The Masked City
Bookshelf Size: 5445
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-afuglsan.html
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo

Post by Afuglsan »

I love supernatural fantasy! I'm marking the series on my to-read list. Although this book sounds awesome, I won't be able to read it unless I start from the beginning. Great review!
Latest Review: "STARLESS and Bible Black" by Gerard DiLeo
Dolphine
Currently Reading: Solid Stone
Bookshelf Size: 23

Post by Dolphine »

I love the review of the book, starting to read it right now, will get to read 1,2&3.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”