Official Review: 30th Century: Escape

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Di_reader
Currently Reading: Superhighway
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Re: Official Review: 30th Century: Escape

Post by Di_reader »

I started reading the book like 2 hours ago and I find it a little confusing. I do find the French innadecuate.
I think I will put this book aside for next week. Thanks for the great review. I do love science fiction!
Ed116
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by Ed116 »

it is really fasnating to see jennifer tring to fit in and keep her secrete it is enjoyable.
meteorchildx
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by meteorchildx »

I don't know what is the plot of this story. But I'll start reading this now.
GathuaM
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 29
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gathuam.html
Latest Review: Strong Heart by Charlie Sheldon

Post by GathuaM »

Scerakor wrote: 19 Jun 2017, 11:40 [Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "30th Century: Escape" by Mark Kingston Levin.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

As Professor Marty Zitonick and his research team come in for a landing around Mururoa Atoll, they discover a castaway and her signal fire beckoning to them from below. Quickly transitioning into rescue mode, Marty is surprised to find Jennifer Hero in extremely good health despite being stranded on the island for the last 4 months. She weaves a tale of strength, ingenuity, and surprising endurance. Little do these scientists know, Jennifer Hero is a Secret Society agent from the 30th Century.

30th Century Escape by Mark Kingston Levin follows Captain Jennifer Hero who, along with her crack team of Secret Society (SS) “naturals”, is launching a covert operation back in time to the 27th century. Their goal is to introduce a sense of morality in the “syndos” of that time period so as to save the human race before these amoral beings wipe out the human race. Captain Hero, however, decides last minute to not accompany her team to the 2600’s but rather jumps back to the 21st century instead. After arriving in modern times and being rescued by Professor Zitonick, Jennifer struggles to build her new life in this century. Following a claim of amnesia to explain her lack of a background, she has to consciously control the symbiotes in her blood giving her above average strength and health, dumb down her superior intellect due to 9000 years of additional human knowledge, and suppress her innate ability to read social situations.

Despite her challenges, Jennifer builds her life, gets accepted into a Doctoral program, performs incredibly in the fields of archaeology and dark energy physics, and develops some (very passionate) personal relationships with those around her. As she goes through all of these activities she is first shocked then struggles to understand an identity that all but falls into her lap. Perhaps there is more in this century that is familiar to her than originally thought.

30th Century Escape is a fun and thought-provoking read. As Arthur C. Clarke said, “Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.” It is extremely interesting while reading this book to think about how our protagonist has to act in order to preserve her identity. More than once I found myself internalizing, “Hey, I never thought about that!” Around every corner Jennifer could fall into the trap of letting out her secrets. For example, 9000 more years of human corporate knowledge means that she is touted as a genius after taking her university entrance exams. Mark Kingston Levin writes very well and is an extremely detailed narrator. I loved the descriptions of the beautiful locations throughout the book. Between Mururoa, Tahiti, Hawaii, and even Canada, Dr. Levin’s writing expertly brought me to these locations in my mind. In the same vein, and what I liked the most about this book, is how either extensive research and/or extensive skills of the author translate into a rewarding experience by the reader. I assume that the author has been to these beautiful locations, as his descriptions are divine; I’m sure he has sailing / flight experience as the narrative is realistically detailed; and I know that the author has an extensive academic background, as the minutiae on the science was expertly based on solid principles of complicated physics.

Despite the praises above, there were a few things that irked me about this book. First, the author often uses French in the book as this was Jennifer’s first language and a language used in the island locations in the story. Unfortunately, some of the French actually written in the book was erroneous at times and of a poor quality grammatically. Although this may be of little consequence for the average reader, since I speak French, this ended up being distracting for me. Second, throughout the book (but primarily in the first half), the author has included some pictures to accompany the text. These pictures were rather cartoony and added very little to story itself. It confused me a little bit as these images gave a distinct YA or children’s book feel to it. I quickly realized that this was a mistake when I arrived at a picture of the protagonist topless on the Mururoa Atoll beach. Finally, and what I liked the least about the book, was how for a large portion of the book I really wasn’t sure where the book was going and what the point was. Once Jennifer was rescued and began living her life, there was no longer any globally apparent conflict tying the story to the overarching plot. This was eventually addressed later on in the book, however, and a logical conclusion was eventually attained – it simply seemed lost for a chunk of the book. To be clear, what was written was exciting and interesting nonetheless, it simply seemed to lose sight of the overarching scheme.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book, loved its beautiful descriptions, and revelled in the thought provoking content. For that reason, I give this book 3 out of 4 stars. Between the French, the unnecessary illustrations, and the temporary loss of purpose, I am forced to deduct one measly star. I wholeheartedly recommend this book to those who like thought-provoking tales that expertly mix futuristic thinking with modern day life. I am obligated to mention that in the second half of the book there were significant descriptions and instances of sex and sexual acts (male-female, threesomes/foursomes, female-female). The author was very upfront about this content and therefore it is not taken into consideration in this review. As it is significant part of the book and if you are insulted / turned away by this type of activity in a book, this may not be for you.

30th Century: Escape
View: on Bookshelves

Like Scerakor's review? Post a comment saying so!
I have this book on my bookshelves but I have not gotten around it. After reading you review, I got curious and will certainly look for time to read it. Great review...hope the French does not inhibit me from enjoying the book as I do not speak French
chrispus2
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by chrispus2 »

such an interesting book :D
NoelleHollingsworth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by NoelleHollingsworth »

It sounds really interesting! I would love to read this book, as your review is now kind of pulling me in, and because I'm new and I have absolutely no idea how this whole thing works. Thanks for such a beautiful description! Will definitely be one of my next reads!
eddyokoth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 18
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-eddyokoth.html
Latest Review: Who Told You That You Were Naked? by William Combs
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by eddyokoth »

Its a well writen review.jenifer chadacter really amazing
NuelUkah
Favorite Book: Heaven and Earth
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 283
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-nuelukah.html
Latest Review: Dibs and Dabs of my Life by Gertrude Coulter

Post by NuelUkah »

30th Century: Escape is a well written tale with the science firmly grounded in reality. Dr. Levin does a very good job with his freshmen debut in fiction. Though the book is tagged Science Fiction, it should also be tagged Romance/Adult cause of the sex scenarios. I do not recommend for children and teens.

Dr. Levin tried breaking the terms down to layman's understanding, but be ready to get lost in the plot...
If you are TOO BIG to DO SMALL things, then you are TOO SMALL to DO BIG things...

If you want to be remembered long after you are gone, WRITE books worth READING or DO things worth WRITING about...
Jackline kirigo
Currently Reading: The McTavish Regressions
Bookshelf Size: 5

Post by Jackline kirigo »

I love this book. but I can't understand how she travels back in the 21st century. I think you should have given some details... was it a time machine a time spaceship or was it due to their supernatural powers as natives.
_Delly_01
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-delly-01.html
Latest Review: Sigfried’s Smelly Socks! by Len Foley

Post by _Delly_01 »

It seems a little strange that there would be graphic sexual illustrations, and despite my great interest in the premise of the book itself, I feel that it would detract from my overall reading experience. Especially with the incorrectly written French, and grammatical errors.

Thank-you for your in-depth and well-written review. You have saved me from a potential nightmare. :)
Stellae
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-stellae.html
Latest Review: Third Chances by Dan Petrosini

Post by Stellae »

I found myself thinking the same thing after reaching the middle of the book! What happened to Kylie and her crew, and the mission? I gave this book a lower rating, the graphic sex scenes and lack of overarching plot line were a bit more unforgivable to me
Lhisa
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-lhisa.html
Latest Review: We are Voulhire: A New Arrival under Great Skies by Matthew Tysz

Post by Lhisa »

This was a well written review. Saw the book to review but left it for later. Time travel has always been a huge favorite of mine so I hope it is as good as you say. I'm open minded enough to ignore any erotic content and erroneous French. I look forward to a good read. Thank you.
Marion Jepkosgei
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 65
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marion-jepkosgei.html
Latest Review: Randy the Irresistible by S M Goodier

Post by Marion Jepkosgei »

The review is amazing and I love Jennifer's character. I feel like she oozes of strength.
Aisha Yakub
Book of the Month Participant
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 183
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-aisha-yakub.html
Latest Review: A New War by Alexander Farah

Post by Aisha Yakub »

I'm not certain this book is for me. Jennifer Hero does sound like a hero though. Thanks for the review
Mbenma Esther 080
Currently Reading: My Enemy in Vietnam
Bookshelf Size: 28
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mbenma-esther-080.html
Latest Review: Killing Abel by Michael Tieman

Post by Mbenma Esther 080 »

I would have loved to read this book if not for some of the sexual content. Thanks for the review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”