Official Review: Dragonhunters by Garon Whited

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
R-g-R
Currently Reading: The Picketty Problem
Bookshelf Size: 153
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-r-g-r.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Re: Official Review: Dragonhunters by Garon Whited

Post by R-g-R »

The concept of this book is made more interesting by your review. I have read to the point of Aramon being rescued, his health and strength are now increased, and the mysterious (and more contemporary sounding) Vlad has just determined to help in one final way, with the dragon-slaying quest. This would seem to be the activation of Aramon’s dead team members. I can well anticipate the unexpected event, reactions and ongoing humour as a result. The sense I have, is that the book will now truly get going, move along, and become all the author intended. I must confess that some of the earlier events seemed a slower read, as the scene was set and as many characters, names, personalities and characteristics were introduced. I imagine that all aspects of the story will now be heightened and hope that readers continue to this point and beyond.

I find the name of the loyal, self-sacrificial Aramon to be an immediate reminder of Aragorn from Lord of the Rings and, as well, he is grouped with different types and skill-sets (wizards, priests, thieves, etc) in order to complete their task. This sets up a potential comparison with J.R.R. Tolkein’s ideas and writing as there are also similarities to The Hobbit, where the dragon in a lair surrounded by gold trinkets, is much of the focus. Perhaps this is deliberate, with the author constructing a humorous alternative version, however if readers are not aware of the intentional humour, there is a possible risk that they may return to the original.
ettagirl
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ettagirl »

I really enjoyed your review. Your description of the characters and their shared dragon-quest, reveals unexpected depths in both the storyline and dialogue. After reading your review, I am looking forward to this book!
adtb1976
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by adtb1976 »

I don't think I would normally chose to read "Dragonhunters". My first impression as I began to read this story was that I am not that big of a fan of this genre. I am not much for this type of fantasy and science fiction. I will give Garon Whited the greatest amount of praise for taking the time to help me visualize the element, the movements, and the surroundings of the characters in this story. I can say I felt as if I were transported to a different time and place. I once loved everything dealing with knights. Now that I am older, I want to know what really happened from year 0 to 1000.

This book may have enticed my 15 year old self, but my 42 year old self would be more interested in a historical account that may be a little dramatized. I find it interesting to look up people's names and see they actually existed. When I read something like "Dragonhunters", I want to look for the characters even though I already know do not exist. This is definitely a book I would recommend to my 16 year old son. I know he will love the descriptive nature of this book.

I did like the way this book allows people with different beliefs and different backgrounds to work together. The underlying message of accomplishment in spite of diversity is pretty amazing.
Analiciashanan28

Post by Analiciashanan28 »

I didn't find much interest within reading the description of the book called 'Dragonhunter's' written by Baron Whited although I continued to read into the beginning pages of the book, I still didn't seem to find this book in my term of interest.

I would have to rate this Novel a 1 out of 4 because it brought no interest to my reading and I refused to continue reading based upon the type of book it was.
JLS
Currently Reading: The Foundation Trilogy
Bookshelf Size: 12
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jls.html
Latest Review: Superhighway by Alex Fayman

Post by JLS »

I love fantasy stories and this one sounds like it goes in a very unexpected and fascinating direction.
ruchira
Currently Reading: Heartaches 2
Bookshelf Size: 2

Post by ruchira »

Some times people must live between reality & fantacy... So, people must develop sensitive minds...i think this is a new litreatural attempt !!!
tamdlyte
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... ittersweet: Sanctuary (Part 1 of 3)</a>
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 295
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by tamdlyte »

Really? REALLY? His friends are back from the dead but
Aramon is not certain that he should be consulting with them, as it is against his religion.
Wouldn't you think this would be the perfect opportunity to ask, "How did the dragon kill you?" so that, "I'll be sure and not do that!!!" LOL
Just saying... LOL
Sustannard

Post by Sustannard »

This review of Dragon Hunters by Garon Whited was accurate in that the action starts almost immediately. The vivid descriptions of the forest and horse and rider prodeced a vivid image of the scene. The bloody scene of the hand and blood oozing from the armour was too much to take. Perhaps I should have read this reviewer's warning about the gore before. I think I will pass on this book.
holsam_87
Currently Reading: The Unbound Soul
Bookshelf Size: 1691
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-holsam-87.html
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Reading Device: B00IKPYKWG

Post by holsam_87 »

I really enjoy fantasy series, especially ones with dragons, so this will be my kind of book. Sometimes I do get a weak stomach, but that's more for if I can actually see the gore. I think I will be okay, but thanks for the warning.
Samantha Holtsclaw

“We’ve all got both light and dark inside us. What matters is the part we choose to act on. That’s who we really are.”

—J. K. Rowling, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Latest Review: Herai by Aaron D Key
Nayz-88
Favorite Book: Rosemary And Rue
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 14

Post by Nayz-88 »

Dragonhunters by Garon Whited:

A quick read, but filled with action. Interesting characters with fun banter between them.
I'd give it 2 out of 4 stars, I think it would be great for teen readers looking for a quick adventure, I tend to want to live in a book for a couple of days to have much interest in it so I can better relate to the characters and the world they're in.
I did enjoy the how descriptive the people and places were. Certainly worth a couple hours (depending on how fast you read).
N_R
Favorite Author: James Mace
Currently Reading: Happy Healing
Bookshelf Size: 193
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-n-r.html
Latest Review: Kiwi Jacks by Hairy Jack
fav_author_id: 21042

Post by N_R »

I don't enjoy reading this genre, however, thanks for the great review.
Mary Garrison
Currently Reading: The Hiding Place
Bookshelf Size: 78
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-mary-garrison.html
Latest Review: Doctoroo & the Case of the Hacking Hippo by Dr. Rachel B. Wellner

Post by Mary Garrison »

Thanks for the great review! You make this book sound very interesting, it isn't something I would normally read. I think I might actually give it a try though I mean who could go wrong with dragons, moral dilemmas, religious dilemmas and comedy all in the same book.
ladycraic
Currently Reading: Natural Cures: Stay Healthy Naturally
Bookshelf Size: 239
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladycraic.html
Latest Review: When War Ends by Patricia Tomlin

Post by ladycraic »

Wow, I wouldn't expect more than half of the main characters to be killed off! This story seems interesting and I plan on reading. :D
harrymadede
Currently Reading: The Reel Sisters
Bookshelf Size: 19

Post by harrymadede »

This sounds like a very interesting fantasy story. I am interested in the magic behind it as well as the internal struggle with his religious morals. I believe this may be a good addition to my to read list.
Gods Monkey
Currently Reading: The Morning Mind
Bookshelf Size: 59
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gods-monkey.html
Latest Review: Escape by Mark Kingston Levin, PhD

Post by Gods Monkey »

Once again an inappropriate rating of 4 out of 4. The reviewer said there were errors and no matter how insignificant the errors may seem they still make the book not perfect. Also the title Dragonhunters says there will be gore so the fact the reviewer found it to be to much was a bit judgmental to me. This book however still sounds like a goos read to me.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”