Official Review: Dragonhunters by Garon Whited

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Official Review: Dragonhunters by Garon Whited

Post by kandscreeley »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Dragonhunters" by Garon Whited.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Dragonhunters is a science-fiction/fantasy novel from the creative mind of Garon Whited. This is not the first book for Mr. Whited as he has also written the Nightlord series among others. This novel is a fun, quick read with around 200 pages.

Five unique friends have come together to slay a dragon that is terrorizing towns. Sir Aramon is a Knight in the Order of Warrior for Namae (a god). Tindal is a priest of the Holy Light of Ashkelon. The two have different gods but a similar set of morals. There is also a wizard by the name of Y'vin who tends to grumble quite a bit. Then we have the two professional thieves, Gorgar and Fliss. Together the five think that they are strong enough to defeat this evil dragon. Unfortunately, they find that they are not quite as prepared as they would like to believe. All but Aramon end up dead.

End of story one would think, right? Wrong! A good Samaritan comes by to help Aramon heal from his wounds. This kind stranger then somehow manages to bring the four dead friends' spirits back to life. Are they ghosts? Are they more than that? No one is really sure, but Aramon is not certain that he should be consulting with them, as it is against his religion. Will Aramon overcome his religious struggles so that his friends can help him slay the dragon? Can the dragon even be slayed? I encourage you to read the book and find out!

This story was non-stop fun from beginning to end. The action starts almost immediately and continues right through the end. The pace is steady building to a climax before resolving into a satisfying ending. Along with the battle scenes and fighting, Mr. Whited intersperses enough humor to lighten the darker moments quite nicely. There is an equal amount of character development, humor, and action so that there is something for every reader.

One thing I enjoyed most about this story was the repartee between the friends. Even though the story is focused on the slaying of a dragon, there is a moral debate at play as well. This lends a depth to the novel that one doesn't expect but is very refreshing. Since Aramon and Tindal worship two different deities, there are many moments of discussion between the two. I really appreciate, though, that the two respect each other even with these differences.

I really found very little fault with the story. There were a few errors within the novel. They were so minimal, however, I can't even count off for them. The only thing that I would warn about is the gore in the book. As one might expect, slaying a dragon can get rather messy. I think Mr. Whited does a great job at explaining what is going on without being overly bloody. Those with a weak stomach, though, might not agree.

There is nothing for me to do but rate Dragonhunters 4 out of 4 stars. I loved every minute of this book. Those who have enjoyed other novels by Mr. Whited would greatly appreciate this book as well. However, those few (like me) who found that Nightlord was not quite their cup of tea would still enjoy this book. I found that there was much more character development and much less confusion than in the Nightlord series, yet it was still fun and exciting. Kudos to Mr. Whited on another job well done!

Dragonhunters
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon

Like kandscreeley's review? Post a comment saying so!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I wasn't such a fan of the Nightlord series, so I'm glad you think this one appeals to a wider audience! I enjoyed Whitehead's writing, so I'm willing to give this one a try - especially since it's more character based.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

I want really fond of nightlord either, but I really enjoyed this one. I think you should definitely give it a try Marisa. It's good. Thanks.
—Neil Gaiman
jamesokunmd
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 228
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jamesokunmd.html
Latest Review: "Yesterday" by Samyann

Post by jamesokunmd »

Thanks for the review. Very complete and useful. Makes me want to definitely read it. New genre for me but sounds very interesting..
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks James. It was a good book. What genre do you normally read? The characters in this are quite interesting and there are some moral dilemmas, so it's not your usual fantasy novel. It has a little something for everyone.
—Neil Gaiman
Snowflake
Currently Reading: Adrift
Bookshelf Size: 288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-snowflake.html
Latest Review: Don't Think Twice by Barbara Schoichet

Post by Snowflake »

Thanks for the review. I think I will recommend this one to my husband and I might even give it a read myself. I'm not one for blood and gore but the rest of the story sounds quite good.
peace starts with a smile...
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks snowflake. I won't lie, there definitely was some gore (how would there not be when fighting a dragon). I don't think it was too bad, but everyone is different.
—Neil Gaiman
bookowlie
Favorite Book: The Lost Continent
Currently Reading: The Night She Went Missing
Bookshelf Size: 442
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-bookowlie.html
Latest Review: To Paint A Murder by E. J. Gandolfo

Post by bookowlie »

Great review! "Non-stop fun from beginning to end"...glad you enjoyed the book. The book doesn't sounds like my cup of tea since I am not a fan of dragon stories or gory scenes. However, I think a lot of members would like this book since the fantasy genre is so popular.
"The best way out is always through" - Robert Frost
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks bookowlie! I appreciate your opinion. This isn't for everyone, but there is something in there for a lot of people.
—Neil Gaiman
jamesokunmd
Currently Reading:

Post by jamesokunmd »

Hi kandscreeley: Thanks for asking. I usually read all kinds of fiction and non-fiction and will definitely read this one. The moral dilemmas sound very interesting.
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Then, I think you'll like this one. It's not JUST a fantasy. If you do try it, let me know how you like it. I always enjoy hearing other people's opinions on books. Thanks!
—Neil Gaiman
jamesokunmd
Currently Reading:

Post by jamesokunmd »

Sure thing. I'll definitely let you know. Congrats again on the great review!
Anirudh Badri
Currently Reading: Quiet
Bookshelf Size: 47
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-anirudh-badri.html
Latest Review: Galactic Passages: Planet 6333 by Dean and Anson Vargo

Post by Anirudh Badri »

The characters in Dragonhunters seem intriguing. Especially Aramon, who is faced with a religious crisis and must decide what he believes in. Will probably check it out. Thanks for the review.
It is what you read when you don’t have to that determines what you will be when you can’t help it.

–Oscar Wilde
kandscreeley

Post by kandscreeley »

Thanks Anirudh! I found the moral dilemmas quite intriguing in a fantasy book like this. Definitely worth a read.
—Neil Gaiman
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I would like to find out what kind of a dragon this one is. The story line sounds interesting and the book easy to read.Thank you for this review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”