Official Review: Arcadia's Children by Andrew R Williams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 119
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-zenalei7.html
Latest Review: Christmas in the Kingdom of Kool by Joan J. Harris

Official Review: Arcadia's Children by Andrew R Williams

Post by Azeline Arcenal »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Arcadia's Children" by Andrew R Williams.]
Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

Arcadia’s Children by Andrew R. Williams is a fascinating sci-fi novel filled with adventure and action. Written in the third person perspective, the book alternates between various characters.

The story takes place on a planet named Arcadia and a moon called Arden. Arcadia is an Earth type planet so it is capable of supporting life. However, colonization on Arcadia is restricted because dangerous pathogens could transfer from Arcadia to other planets. Only archaeological teams and paleontologists are allowed to travel to the planet, but the native people of Arcadia, known as the Ab, are not allowed to travel outside of the planet.

In Arden, a sudden noise in Ord Morley’s house causes him to get up from his bed and go downstairs. As he searches around his house, he finds the cause of the noise. The intruder is a protection droid named Alex who makes Morley connect to a recreational thought transfer cartridge(RTTP) which captures the thoughts or experiences of someone and allows someone else to view them. In this case, the RTTP has the experiences of Mick Tarmy, a detective corporal, who was ensnared in a plot to destroy the Great Ones. The Great Ones and the spettri are mind readers who are searching for a way to leave Arcadia and take over Arden. When Tarmy is blackmailed to join Samantha, a humanoid, in her quest to destroy the Great Ones, he learns a shocking secret that forces him to rethink his actions. With no choice but to do Samantha’s bidding, he risks his life as he travels to the restricted planet known as Arcadia.

The author does a great job building the suspense and there were some surprising twists to the plot. There were many subplots that were integrated into the main storyline which made it complex, but interesting. The story starts off in the present and flashes back to all the events recorded in the RTTP. There were multiple characters in the novel, and all of them played an integral role in the plot. The author vividly described each of the characters and how each of their choices impacted the rest of the characters. Even though there were so many characters introduced in the book, I found it easy to keep up with the names and roles of each one. Mick Tarmy was one of the most realistic characters in the book. He had many faults and doubts, but he manages to overcome them.

There were a few grammatical errors, but they didn't detract from the book. There were some sexual implications, but none were too graphic. As I was reading the book, I saw a few words that I had never heard of like ‘avuncular’ and ‘renege’, so it was interesting to be able to learn new words.

Overall, I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I throughly enjoyed reading this book. It was easy to follow and the ending made me want to read the next book of the series. I would recommend this book to those who like to read sci-fi/fantasy books.

Arcadia's Children
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

Does that mean that there was a cliffhanger ending to this novel? It sounds like a great book, but I would want to make sure the whole series was out before I started reading. Glad you enjoyed it.
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

kandscreeley wrote:Does that mean that there was a cliffhanger ending to this novel? It sounds like a great book, but I would want to make sure the whole series was out before I started reading. Glad you enjoyed it.
Yes, there is a sequel to this book but the author is still working in it.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
Rosemary Okoko
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 89
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rosemary-okoko.html
Latest Review: The Sins of a Master Race by Matthew Tysz

Post by Rosemary Okoko »

I wonder what shocking secret Tarmi discovered. This is a good reason to read this book. Thank you for the review.
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

Rosemary Okoko wrote:I wonder what shocking secret Tarmi discovered. This is a good reason to read this book. Thank you for the review.
Thanks for reading!
MelDevi
Currently Reading: Exit West
Bookshelf Size: 20
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-meldevi.html
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David

Post by MelDevi »

SF, the ever interesting genre. I need to stop myself from reading each book listed under SF and this review is not really helping :shifty:
Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

MelDevi wrote:SF, the ever interesting genre. I need to stop myself from reading each book listed under SF and this review is not really helping :shifty:
Thanks for reading my review!
kunlebass
Currently Reading: Soundproof Future Scotland
Bookshelf Size: 27
Reading Device: Tablet

Post by kunlebass »

Intriguing Arcadia and his children.
MarisaRose
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... 665">Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban</a>
Currently Reading: The Family Upstairs
Bookshelf Size: 435
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-marisarose.html
Latest Review: The Magic Shard by eelonqa K harris
Reading Device: B00JG8GOWU

Post by MarisaRose »

I find the sci-fi genre so hard to tackle lately. Although the premise of this one sounds interesting, I can't say it sounds all that unique. Glad you enjoyed it so much though!
Spirit Wandering
Favorite Book: <a href="http://forums.onlinebookclub.org/shelve ... bastian</a>
Currently Reading: Apollo's Raven
Bookshelf Size: 87
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-spirit-wandering.html
Latest Review: JOURNEY - Becoming the Dream Walker by T.N. Bui

Post by Spirit Wandering »

I appreciate when an author creates a complicated character with depth and Mick Tarmy sounds like one. Thanks for providing such a detailed review.

-- 01 Jul 2017, 20:27 --
MelDevi wrote:SF, the ever interesting genre. I need to stop myself from reading each book listed under SF and this review is not really helping :shifty:
Why would you want to do that? :D
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Jaime Lync
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 120
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-jaime-lync.html
Latest Review: You Are A Christian. NOW WHAT? by James Rondinone

Post by Jaime Lync »

Great review! I think that the cover of the book for some reason repels me but the plot sounds interesting.
The Researcher
Currently Reading: Buried Threads
Bookshelf Size: 101
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-the-researcher.html
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Reading Device: B00I15SB16

Post by The Researcher »

Nice review! But i think i am not going to read this book. I have recently read so many of these kind of novels that they have become rather predictable to me.
What is the most special thing I did today- I was MYSELF. Happy and in love and unapologetically myself.
Latest Review: "Curve Couture" by H M Irwing
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

The Researcher wrote:Nice review! But i think i am not going to read this book. I have recently read so many of these kind of novels that they have become rather predictable to me.
Thanks for reading!
IsabelMay
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 3761
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-isabelmay.html
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller

Post by IsabelMay »

I have a strange feeling that I read this book or something very similar to it... however, it still sounds like a good and well-written sci-fi novel. Thanks for the great review.
Latest Review: "Anna's Journey" by Gerald Miller
Azeline Arcenal
Currently Reading:

IsabelMay wrote:I have a strange feeling that I read this book or something very similar to it... however, it still sounds like a good and well-written sci-fi novel. Thanks for the great review.
Thanks for reading!

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”