Forum Navigation: Forum Index » Books and Reading » Reviews and Discussions about Specific Books and Series » Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books

Want FREE books and FREE Amazon gift cards?

Each day we announce via email a book that is either FREE or on a temporary sale at a great discount price. These are not your average free books. These are incredible insider deals on well-rated books. OnlineBookClub.org is where tomorrow's bestsellers are born. We also give away over $1,000 per month of free Amazon gift cards in free daily giveaways, exclusively to those signed up to these announcements! Hurry, sign up free now:

Sorry, this proves you are human.

Official Review: Arcadia's Children by Andrew R Williams

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.

Official Review: Arcadia's Children by Andrew R Williams

Post Number:#1 by ZenaLei7
» 08 Jun 2017, 14:12

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Arcadia's Children" by Andrew R Williams.]

Book Cover
4 out of 4 stars
Review by ZenaLei7
Share This Review

Arcadia’s Children by Andrew R. Williams is a fascinating sci-fi novel filled with adventure and action. Written in the third person perspective, the book alternates between various characters.

The story takes place on a planet named Arcadia and a moon called Arden. Arcadia is an Earth type planet so it is capable of supporting life. However, colonization on Arcadia is restricted because dangerous pathogens could transfer from Arcadia to other planets. Only archaeological teams and paleontologists are allowed to travel to the planet, but the native people of Arcadia, known as the Ab, are not allowed to travel outside of the planet.

In Arden, a sudden noise in Ord Morley’s house causes him to get up from his bed and go downstairs. As he searches around his house, he finds the cause of the noise. The intruder is a protection droid named Alex who makes Morley connect to a recreational thought transfer cartridge(RTTP) which captures the thoughts or experiences of someone and allows someone else to view them. In this case, the RTTP has the experiences of Mick Tarmy, a detective corporal, who was ensnared in a plot to destroy the Great Ones. The Great Ones and the spettri are mind readers who are searching for a way to leave Arcadia and take over Arden. When Tarmy is blackmailed to join Samantha, a humanoid, in her quest to destroy the Great Ones, he learns a shocking secret that forces him to rethink his actions. With no choice but to do Samantha’s bidding, he risks his life as he travels to the restricted planet known as Arcadia.

The author does a great job building the suspense and there were some surprising twists to the plot. There were many subplots that were integrated into the main storyline which made it complex, but interesting. The story starts off in the present and flashes back to all the events recorded in the RTTP. There were multiple characters in the novel, and all of them played an integral role in the plot. The author vividly described each of the characters and how each of their choices impacted the rest of the characters. Even though there were so many characters introduced in the book, I found it easy to keep up with the names and roles of each one. Mick Tarmy was one of the most realistic characters in the book. He had many faults and doubts, but he manages to overcome them.

There were a few grammatical errors, but they didn't detract from the book. There were some sexual implications, but none were too graphic. As I was reading the book, I saw a few words that I had never heard of like ‘avuncular’ and ‘renege’, so it was interesting to be able to learn new words.

Overall, I would rate this book a 4 out of 4 stars. I throughly enjoyed reading this book. It was easy to follow and the ending made me want to read the next book of the series. I would recommend this book to those who like to read sci-fi/fantasy books.

Arcadia's Children
View: on Bookshelves | on Amazon | on Smashwords

Like ZenaLei7's review? Post a comment saying so!
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7's Latest Review: "Crude Currency" by Gary Stull
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 43 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 30 Books
Goal Completion: 123%

Did you know?

Once you join the forums and log in you will get to enjoy a very ad-reduced experience. It's easy and completely free!

Re: Official Review: Arcadia's Children by Andrew R Williams

Post Number:#2 by kandscreeley
» 21 Jun 2017, 07:20

Does that mean that there was a cliffhanger ending to this novel? It sounds like a great book, but I would want to make sure the whole series was out before I started reading. Glad you enjoyed it.
“There is no friend as loyal as a book.”
― Ernest Hemingway
kandscreeley's Latest Review: "Devil's Run" by AR Simmons
kandscreeley

Currently Reading: Luna
Bookshelf Size: 81 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 100 Books
Goal Completion: 64%

Post Number:#3 by ZenaLei7
» 21 Jun 2017, 07:41

kandscreeley wrote:Does that mean that there was a cliffhanger ending to this novel? It sounds like a great book, but I would want to make sure the whole series was out before I started reading. Glad you enjoyed it.

Yes, there is a sequel to this book but the author is still working in it.
“The only important thing in a book is the meaning that it has for you.” - W. Somerset Maugham
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#4 by Rosemary Okoko
» 21 Jun 2017, 12:15

I wonder what shocking secret Tarmi discovered. This is a good reason to read this book. Thank you for the review.
Rosemary Okoko

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 6 Books
Goal Completion: 35%

Post Number:#5 by ZenaLei7
» 21 Jun 2017, 14:11

Rosemary Okoko wrote:I wonder what shocking secret Tarmi discovered. This is a good reason to read this book. Thank you for the review.

Thanks for reading!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#6 by MelDevi
» 22 Jun 2017, 12:59

SF, the ever interesting genre. I need to stop myself from reading each book listed under SF and this review is not really helping :shifty:
MelDevi's Latest Review: "The Elf Brief" by Jordan David
MelDevi

Currently Reading: Exit West
Bookshelf Size: 20 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books
Goal Completion: 0%

Post Number:#7 by ZenaLei7
» 22 Jun 2017, 13:03

MelDevi wrote:SF, the ever interesting genre. I need to stop myself from reading each book listed under SF and this review is not really helping :shifty:

Thanks for reading my review!
ZenaLei7

Currently Reading:

View Reviewer Page

Post Number:#8 by kunlebass
» 24 Jun 2017, 20:08

Intriguing Arcadia and his children.
kunlebass

Currently Reading: Soundproof Future Scotland
Bookshelf Size: 27 books
Reading Device:
2017 Reading Goal: 50 Books

Post Number:#9 by MarisaRose
» 26 Jun 2017, 17:30

I find the sci-fi genre so hard to tackle lately. Although the premise of this one sounds interesting, I can't say it sounds all that unique. Glad you enjoyed it so much though!
"No two persons ever read the same book." -Edmund Wilson
MarisaRose's Latest Review: "Re-tread" by James Vincent
MarisaRose

Favorite Book: Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 146 books

View Reviewer Page
Reading Device: Kindle Paperwhite
2017 Reading Goal: 25 Books
Goal Completion: 232%

Post Number:#10 by Spirit Wandering
» 01 Jul 2017, 20:17

I appreciate when an author creates a complicated character with depth and Mick Tarmy sounds like one. Thanks for providing such a detailed review.

-- 01 Jul 2017, 20:27 --

MelDevi wrote:SF, the ever interesting genre. I need to stop myself from reading each book listed under SF and this review is not really helping :shifty:

Why would you want to do that? :D
Interested in books that help one's spirit move beyond the ordinary.
Spirit Wandering's Latest Review: "Clearing the Bases" by Jim Kaplan
Spirit Wandering

Favorite Book: Sebastian
Currently Reading: Honeyball
Bookshelf Size: 60 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 0 Books

Post Number:#11 by Jaime Lync
» 02 Jul 2017, 11:21

Great review! I think that the cover of the book for some reason repels me but the plot sounds interesting.
Jaime Lync

Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 50 books

View Reviewer Page
2017 Reading Goal: 12 Books
Goal Completion: 400%