Official Review: Bud by the Grace of God by S.E. Sasaki

Please use this sub-forum to discuss any fantasy or science fiction books or series.
Forum rules
Authors and publishers are not able to post replies in the review topics.
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Official Review: Bud by the Grace of God by S.E. Sasaki

Post by va2016 »

[Following is an official OnlineBookClub.org review of "Bud by the Grace of God" by S.E. Sasaki.]
Book Cover
3 out of 4 stars
Share This Review

This is a review of the book Bud by the Grace of God: Book Two of the Grace Lord Series by S. E. Sasaki, which is available under the ‘Science Fiction’ category in Amazon.

A medical station in the Space accepts patients from all galaxies of the Union of the Solar Systems. Hiro is the Chief of Staff of the station assisted by senior surgeon Dr. Grace Lord and anesthetist Dr. Dejan Cech. Bud, a robot built by Hiro, is continuously learning and evolving its intelligence and its feelings, and is in the process of becoming close to being human. It helps Hiro with his surgeries along with the ‘nanobots’ which do the microsurgery works. The ‘droids’ in the station take care of the regular operations and maintenance works. ‘Nelson Mandela’ is the station’s Artificial Intelligence mind, which controls and runs the station by taking orders from Hiro.

Jude Luis Stefansson, a famous video maker, wants to change his physical body to his avatar that he uses in his videos. He fixes up an appointment with Hiro and meets him in the medical station. Hiro flatly refuses to help with Jude’s request because of legal and ethical reasons. Jude convinces station’s Chief of Neurosurgery Dr. Octavia Weisman to help him. Meanwhile, Dr. Jeffrey Nestor who was sent away from the station for an attempted murder stealthily gets back to the station in an incoming vehicle. He manages to spread a computer virus into Nelson Mandela’s programs. Nelson Mandela becomes incapacitated. Jeffrey takes control of many aspects of the station and causes havoc. The reader is motivated to find out what happens next in this thrilling, action-packed, fantastic, fast-paced story!

The characters are built strongly right from the beginning. Hiro’s flamboyant nature and his outbursts tickle the reader’s funny bone. Each chapter has been tastefully titled to reflect the happenings in that chapter. Bud’s ability to learn, think, feel, express, get confused, and even breathe and lie, are well portrayed throughout the book. There is an interesting narration of 'nanobots' performing a microsurgery. The human-animal hybrid characters add a sense of awe to the story. Action lovers will enjoy the fight between the Panther-human and the Tiger-human. It's mesmerizing to read about the ‘antigrav’ car and its speed. There is a brief discussion about female infanticide and also about protection of women. Narrations about things like "Electrified Cattle Prod" and figures of speech like "burned his memory like acid" are noteworthy.

There are a few grammatical errors, e.g., "records" written as "record". There are mechanical errors like missing periods, missing quotation marks, unnecessary quotation marks, missing articles, unwanted hyphenations (e.g. "down-loading"), etc. In page number 261, the context suddenly changes from Hiro’s wife's thoughts to the Panther-human's thoughts without any indication, which confuses the reader. Other than this instance, the narration is pretty smooth throughout the book. A few pages are left blank without any explanation. There are no spelling mistakes in this book.

Overall, this book is a great entertaining fiction for all audiences, especially the sci-fi lovers. The story moves at a fast, steady pace. Though the narration is full of advanced futuristic concepts, it is written in a balanced fashion making it interesting to read for all audiences. There are some gory instances in the story which might need parental guidance for children and adolescents. There are some mechanical errors present. The formatting is pretty neat. This book could have easily fetched a 4 out of 4 stars rating, but because of the mechanical errors, this reviewer rates this book a 3 out of 4 stars.

Bud by the Grace of God
View: on Bookshelves

Like va2016's review? Post a comment saying so!
kandscreeley
Special Discussion Leader
Currently Reading: The Door Within
Bookshelf Size: 487
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kandscreeley.html
Latest Review: The Elf Revelation by Jordan David

Post by kandscreeley »

It sounds quite intriguing. I love the premise behind it. I like the futuristic concepts and the fast pace! I'll have to look at this one. Thanks!
A book is a dream you hold in your hands.
—Neil Gaiman
El-kanah
Bookshelf Size: 11
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-el-kanah.html
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs

Post by El-kanah »

Whao, this review intrigued a great suspense. Guess I'll love to pick up the book.
Latest Review: "Who Told You That You Were Naked?" by William Combs
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

Bud, the changing and learning robot, sounds like an intriguing main character in this book. I am curious as to why it is called Bud By the Grace of God. Is God or a form of religion a central aspect to this Sci Fi book?
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
Onyinyechukwu
Currently Reading: Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl
Bookshelf Size: 16
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-onyinyechukwu.html
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon

Post by Onyinyechukwu »

I would never have known the book belonged to the sci-fi genre by the title! It sounds like an intricate, action packed novel. Thanks for the detailed review.
Latest Review: "Puffy and the Formidable Foe" by Marie Lepkowski and Ann Marie Hannon
va2016
Favorite Book: The Vatican Protocol
Currently Reading: The Chauvinist's Guide to Modern Romance
Bookshelf Size: 716
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-va2016.html
Latest Review: The Mystery of the Hidden Cabin by M.E. Hembroff

Post by va2016 »

Penny Lee wrote:Bud, the changing and learning robot, sounds like an intriguing main character in this book. I am curious as to why it is called Bud By the Grace of God. Is God or a form of religion a central aspect to this Sci Fi book?
Hi,

No. God or any specific religion is not the central theme of this book.
The title is because of one of the circumstances in the book, which cannot
be revealed - as it would be a spoiler. You have to read the book to
understand the title!

Thanks.
LadyClaire
Currently Reading: Keys to Tetouan
Bookshelf Size: 91
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-ladyclaire.html
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer

Post by LadyClaire »

This book will certainly make a great read but I wonder why the author chose 'Nelson Mandela' as one of his character names? I think I might read to find out. Thanks for the review, va2016
To be without some of the things you want is an indispensable part of happiness.
-Bertrand Russel
Latest Review: "My Trip To Adele" by R.I.Alyaseer and A. I Alyaseer
Penny Lee
Favorite Author: R. A. Salvatore
Favorite Book: The Count of Monte Cristo
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 485
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-penny-lee.html
Latest Review: The Pirate Who Was Scared of Birds by Michelle Path
fav_author_id: 8463

Post by Penny Lee »

va2016 wrote:
Penny Lee wrote:Bud, the changing and learning robot, sounds like an intriguing main character in this book. I am curious as to why it is called Bud By the Grace of God. Is God or a form of religion a central aspect to this Sci Fi book?
Hi,

No. God or any specific religion is not the central theme of this book.
The title is because of one of the circumstances in the book, which cannot
be revealed - as it would be a spoiler. You have to read the book to
understand the title!

Thanks.
Interesting! Thanks for the explanation.
Littera scripta manet -- the written word remains.
JCasia
Bookshelf Size: 0

Post by JCasia »

bud is a robot an ai with feelings. i dont want to spoil it but this interests me in some part that bud may have a spirit afterwards. cant wait for this.
this fiction based books are worthy.
thanks for the detailed review.
rs1977
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 46
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-rs1977.html
Latest Review: The Composition of Honey by J. L. Brandenburg

Post by rs1977 »

a science fiction with god's name in the title, that 's quite intriguing. look's like god is all prevading
kimmyschemy06
Currently Reading: The Searching Three
Bookshelf Size: 694
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-kimmyschemy06.html
Latest Review: Kazi Boku by M. Poyhonen

Post by kimmyschemy06 »

Sounds like an interesting sci fi novel. It reminds me of the movie 'I, Robot' starring Will Smith. Too bad about the errors and the confusing scene. Good job on the review.
OmololaAK
Bookshelf Size: 69

Post by OmololaAK »

A world of human/tech hybrids sounds both scary and fascinating. I would live to read this book
gali
Previous Member of the Month
Favorite Author: Agatha Christie
Currently Reading: Pride and Prejudice in Space
Bookshelf Size: 2288
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gali.html
Reading Device: B00I15SB16
Publishing Contest Votes: 0
fav_author_id: 2484

Post by gali »

A romance between an android and a human? Sounds fascinating! Too bad about the lack of editing. I got the first book, so will check this one out. Thank you for the review!
A retired Admin/Mod

Pronouns: She/Her

"In the case of good books, the point is not to see how many of them you can get through, but rather how many can get through to you." (Mortimer J. Adler)
Heidi M Simone
Official Reviewer Representative
Favorite Book: Harry Potter
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 559
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-heidi-m-simone.html
Latest Review: GPS para el cielo by Jose Rafael Nunez Patino
Publishing Contest Votes: 27
fav_author_id: 0

Post by Heidi M Simone »

A love interest between a human and an android? I hope Grace can bring back android Bud after his sacrifice and that their love continues! I love that this book held your interest the entire length of the book. I'm not a big Sci-Fi fan and it's too bad about the amount of grammatical errors. But, I'm glad you enjoyed the read! Thanks for the great review!
Heidi
Official Reviewer Representative

"There is nothing as powerful as a mother’s love, and nothing as healing as a child’s soul." – Unknown
GCamer
Currently Reading:
Bookshelf Size: 484
Reviewer Page: onlinebookclub.org/reviews/by-gcamer.html
Latest Review: Finding A Job in Tough Times by Dr. Tim Johnson

Post by GCamer »

Human and animal hybrids, microsurgery by nanobots, and AI sacrificing for his love.. sounds like a must read for sci-fi fans. The humor and romance are big bonuses. Thanks for the honest review.

Return to “Sci-Fi and Fantasy Books”